Tell Ontario you want better motorcycle insurance - the petition is live | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tell Ontario you want better motorcycle insurance - the petition is live

I love the recent comment on change.org that has someone complaining about their high insurance rates while using a pic of him doing a wheelie on a public street as his avatar. Please change your pic Paul, it's not a good look for us especially in this context.

There's a tire wall in the background. Most likely a track

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't motorcycle insurance considered recreational vs car insurance being transportation? Therefore bikes are not included in any beneficial action set in car regulations.
No difference between road bike insurance and car insurance in terms of coverage.
Since cars outnumber bikes by a factor of 50 to 100 :1 we aren't a voting powerhouse. The noise makers and road warriors don't help.
We are certainly outnumbered when it comes to cars -- but that isn't really and issue because insurance costs aren't us against them. Next, do you think Sikh's motorcyclists are a "voting powerhouse?" They are a subset of all riders and they were able to persuade gov't to change the rules for them. Have you ever seen local election results? Last election had 15 ridings decided by 1000 or less votes - don't underestimate how powerful a single seat is in Ontario -- remember McGinty pad $1Billion to win Oakville a few years back.
FACT: Insurance companies will die if they don't show year to year profit gains.

Profit gains can only be achieved by higher rates or lower payouts.
Lower payouts can be achieved several ways: eliminate mandator AB (make them optional reduces payouts, it also reduces the fat that attracts and funds the ambulance chasers and phony rehab centers that live off frailties in legislation), increase penalties for fraud, reduce barriers to entry for new competitors. Do you think Progressive or Geico would be interested in a market that charges 5 to 10x what they are used to collecting for insurance?
Lower payouts can be achieved by cheating victims of fair compensation (Already being done) or by reducing collisions. Reducing collisions means better driver training and more law enforcement. Eliminating fraud would also help.
I think you are oversimplifying things. Insurance companies are also making record profits -- they simply outsmart regulators with voodoo accounting. They operate and share accounting and actuarial practices guided by the IBC so it all looks the same - they are making lots off auto insurance.
It's far easier for the politicians to shaft the driver / rider.
That's true, it takes political will. We did not have that with the last gov't - they played lip service to the public then collected a few bones from IBC ($150K for Wynne's reelection fund). Now, they gave the same to the PC's they are going down the same path with respect to acknowledging the problem -- it's our job to hold their feet to the fire when it comes to solutions.

Gretzky said it nicely "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take". I watched and listened last time, this time I'm taking the shot.

Great job Mike, just signed.

I would change this part "Ontario has the highest rates for motorcycle insurance in North America." to Ontario has the highest rates for motorcycle insurance in the world." Which is not an exaggeration, check this out: https://www.autoinsurancecenter.com/car-insurance-rates-around-the-world.htm and this is auto insurance in general without factoring in the motorcycle insurance farce we have here.

I'm passing this around social media and should give it a good boost in a few days, we're at 112 now.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Were about 130 in the first day -- that's great! Lets pass the link around - the next goal is 1000. Once we get there I'm going to see my local MPP to discuss our agenda. It would be great if we can get a robust discussion going here. I'd really like to get consensus on the top 3 or 4 things we need to discuss if we get a receptive ear.

So...

1) Ideas, issues, concerns -- please list them!
2) Spread the word. Put the following in your signature, and pass it along to friends and fellow riders.

SIGN HERE!

Thanks Mike and all who sign.

I've shared on FB and Twitter.

via Tapatalk

Signed and shared on Simcoe County Adventure Riders and Barrie Area motorcycle riders on Fb. Thanks Mike.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. The Ground is starting to swell... but there is a lot of work left to do.

We we are closing in on 300 supporters — great for 2 days. We need more. Get your wives, husbands, girlfriends and boyfriends to sign.

Im setting up a sit down with a PC MPP next week. It would be great if I could reference 1000 signatures. The MPP I’m connecting with is experienced with private members bills, the type that was used for helmet exemption.

Again thanks. We need everyone to drive support, I’ll lead the politics. If you want to get involved, PM me.

Again thanks. Mike

Signed and shared with some friends and moto shop/Corsas. Hope more signatures.

Last edited:
Signed and shared.

I’m not looking forward to the quote I’ll face when returning to the road on two wheels. Seasoned rider that takes a break and returns, gets dinged for not having continuous insurance on a bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Signed and shared.

I’m not looking forward to the quote I’ll face when returning to the road on two wheels. Seasoned rider that takes a break and returns, gets dinged for not having continuous insurance on a bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While not wholly apples to oranges, my car insurance didn't go up after a 2-year break. It was with the same insurer and I still had a policy on the bike.

Just signed. I have also shared with another motorcycle group. Hopefully it gains some traction there.

Thanks @Mad Mike for putting this together

Back
Top Bottom