Tell Ontario you want better motorcycle insurance - the petition is live | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tell Ontario you want better motorcycle insurance - the petition is live

Mad Mike

Signed, but I think they're onto this already, trying to get rates down. Hard to beat the cartel though. They really have it sewn up.

Thank you sir.

Thanks for taking this on Mike. I would really like to see insurance tied to the rider, not the bike. Having 3 bikes, it seems fair that I pay the highest rate of the 3, and then just comprehensive on the other two.

Thanks for taking this on Mike. I would really like to see insurance tied to the rider, not the bike. Having 3 bikes, it seems fair that I pay the highest rate of the 3, and then just comprehensive on the other two.
Shadowman - I'm with you. I have 5 plated bikes, and am the sole rider in my household. I pay for liability & accident benefits 7 times -- car, pickup and on my bikes. It's ridiculous.

Thanks Mike. Done. I thought that the Liberals where going to do this. My impression is. How to tell if a Politician is lying. Their lips are moving.

+1 appreciate you spearheading this Mike, and also would like to see insurance tied to the rider

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I like how last year the rate stayed exactly the same, but my coverage was cut in half.

Valid point on paying liability multiple times, this should only be factored in once with a negligible increase for each additional bike. The risk your the 4/5 motorcycles you are not riding to the general public is marginal at best. Arguably if we didn't have this idiotic policy you'd see a net economic benefit from a significantly increase motorcycle sales for 2nd, 3rd, etc. street bikes. Perhaps even a few extra divorces as a result too... so even the lawyers benefit.

If insurance wants me to sign saying I'm the only one that can ride/driver one of these at any given time, give me a pen. But no, Ontario has to be run by spineless politicians. You'd think with all of the engineers, doctors and lawyers we'd come up with better leadership options.

My renewal just came in at over 300 more a year......in my 50s...been riding since I was 17 ....Cartel is the right word

Thanks Mike. Done. I thought that the Liberals where going to do this. My impression is. How to tell if a Politician is lying. Their lips are moving.

Its so cold out, I saw a politician with his hand in his own pocket !
Seriously, good luck with this petition - Doug the Thug doesn't care.
I tried to get the CMA, MCC, and MMIC to petition the Ontario gov't into launching an inquiry a couple of years ago and got absolutely nowhere.
I was recently involved in a rear ender in my car, insurance would rather pay out for a rental and storage than settle promptly, then they stuck it to me on the settlement. It all makes sense to somebody somewhere I guess, just not me....

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't motorcycle insurance considered recreational vs car insurance being transportation? Therefore bikes are not included in any beneficial action set in car regulations. Since cars outnumber bikes by a factor of 50 to 100 :1 we aren't a voting powerhouse. The noise makers and road warriors don't help.

FACT: Insurance companies will die if they don't show year to year profit gains.

Profit gains can only be achieved by higher rates or lower payouts.

Lower payouts can be achieved by cheating victims of fair compensation (Already being done) or by reducing collisions. Reducing collisions means better driver training and more law enforcement. Eliminating fraud would also help.

It's far easier for the politicians to shaft the driver / rider.

I love the recent comment on change.org that has someone complaining about their high insurance rates while using a pic of him doing a wheelie on a public street as his avatar. Please change your pic Paul, it's not a good look for us especially in this context.

Signed. 3 street licenced bikes and 2 cars for 1 rider/driver & 1 driver. My rates went down a little, but we moved out of the GTA, and every vehicle is getting older. Can only ride/drive one at a time!

Thanks Mike

Last edited:
Signed. 3 street licenced bikes and 2 cars for 1 rider/driver & 1 driver. My rates went down a little, but we moved out of the GTA, and every vehicle is getting older. Can only ride/drive one at a time!

Thanks Mike

Similar situation and my thoughts exactly. Here's what I filled out on the linked government website:

"Regulate how much insurance companies can increase policy premiums without justification, and have them accountable and make it mandatory to disclose justification for an increase. Without changes to driving record or vehicles, I've seen rates increase drastically from year to year. Also, motorcycle insurance needs a complete overhaul. I currently have two motorcycles, and aside from it being near impossible to get a motorcycle insured at a reasonable price in Ontario, if you have two motorcycles like I do, you have to pay full premiums on both despite the fact that you can only ride one motorcycle at a time. We also only ride our motorcycles for half the year, but insure for the full year. My policy increased 20% on both motorcycles with no change in driving record with my latest renewal. In recent years I was forced to leave my insurer of 15+ years because their policies on motorcycles changed overnight and I was quoted at over double my annual premium to keep a motorcycle insured. Again, no change in driving record. With the high cost of living in Ontario (including home ownership, children, etc.) insurance rates in Ontario are making it more difficult than ever to own a vehicle."

Back
Top Bottom