liberals sent me an email requesting money | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

liberals sent me an email requesting money

... I was so happy when I heard Justin trudeau PROMISE that ALL these northern communites w/o clean water will ALL HAVE CLEAN DRINKING WATER BEFORE THE END OF HIS TERM...
Good quality ground water starts by having good waste water treatment and you don't need to go north to find communities that have a problem with both waste water and clean well water. :confused4: Not sure how this issue can even be addressed short of sending every household a little table top filtration system, a years worth of filters, a big bottle of iodine tablets and a phase contrast microscope to monitor your own water quality and even that is wasted effort if the water you are collecting is being polluted by your waste water output.

I can tell you one thing people in rural Canada wouldn't want is Toronto tap water, that stuff is nasty.

The farm I grew up on had a spring, downhill from the barn. Nobody tested the water for 150? yrs, then we got a new well drilled.

I built a house on the front of the farm, 8 yrs later a small enclave of "custom homes" went in on the escarpment almost 1km away and some body punching a well hit a sulfur pocket and my well went 'off' . 3K filter system fixed that but yeah, clean water is not a northern thing. Its something rural residents worry about constantly, new quarries interupting the water table is a real thing.

Trudeau and the northern water on aboriginal lands?? thats a really big uphill fight.

What's wrong with Toronto Water? Not sure how it's "nasty" ...
Once you move to the country and drink fresh water for a while you can go back to Toronto and realize how much the tap water tastes and smells like a public swimming pool.
... actually I better not say more because you guys probably still have to drink that stuff and I don't want to gross you out.

... sulfur pocket and my well went 'off' . 3K filter system fixed that ...
Ya, that stuff stinks, seen where people had to deal with it, you start by adding chlorine and then filter out as much precipitate as you can. Leave for a week and come back to a house that smells like rotten eggs, best solution is to move. When you are home shopping in the country the #1 most important thing to look for is clean fresh water and I don't mean just having acceptable numbers on the local health unit water test. Take a water sample straight out of the well and have an extensive analysis done. Now you have a good start point for determining your water treatment requirements.
Another little test you should do yourself is to freeze a sample of the water, then see what solids separate from the ice after it melts and settles for a while, those are the solids that you are going to need to filter on a continuous basis.

We went on a boil water advisory for about 60hrs here in town at Christmas, municipal contractors replacing water mains hit a sewer pipe in the same trench.
That never happened in the country

416 water is alright
some of the smaller municipalities have nasty stuff
Belleville water is not drinkable
but it's great for keeping toilets clean

Milton was on a series of artisenal (sp?) wells that were along the base of the escarpment, the water while hard, was delicious. But we also had a twenty five year building ban as the water system would not support more community.
Then the developers pushed the province/town/private funding for a pipeline from lake Ontario, now we have thousands of new homes, lots of new Canadian drivers (insurance like brampton ) and really awful tasting water. The price of progress.

municipal contractors

Milton is the laughing stock of Halton. 3 months, 2 contractors, dug 3 times to fix the sewer in front of Bomar (1st contracter got turfed after botching up the 2nd dig).

that's what makes us the laughing stock?? really? setting the bar a bit low, we gots lots of stuff to be mocked over that makes our ditch digging look world class....

Once you move to the country and drink fresh water for a while you can go back to Toronto and realize how much the tap water tastes and smells like a public swimming pool. .

I think you're exaggerating quite a bit, but don't get overconfident in your well water - one tiny bit of run off from the wrong spot and your pristine well water is a Walkerton situation. Well water is great, until it's not, and you can't see ecoli and other contaminants until you're suffering the effects thereof..because there's no chlorine in it to kill that stuff like there is in city water.

Say what you will about city water, but it's well that our water treatment plants put out a very high quality (and most importantly, consistently safe) water supply.

And I say this as someone who great up on well water and knows the difference quite well. I've also seen people get sick from well water and/or have to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars installing treatment systems to to make it potable.

... and you can't see ecoli and other contaminants until you're suffering the effects thereof...
e.coli is huge under a microscope ;) I retired from the microscope business remember. 160 foot drilled well here, no runoff here, no industry no cattle or neighbours for miles, I just have to keep the Beaver population at bay, haven't even bothered installing a filter system on my current well. Previous house was on limestone, 20 foot deep well, 22 gallons per minute, that one I filtered, is on a property known locally as spring hill, water is a little harder there but it bubbles right up out of the rock.
(artesian well is the word you were looking for) & the place you want to find them is at the top of the hill not the base ;) remember Jack and Jill went up the hill.

Anybody here able to witch for water?
Sadly I can't but my father-in-law was phenomenal at it, if you held the stick and nothing happened he could reach around and just touch the ends of the stick with 2 finger tips and the damn thing would start yanking on your grip. <- tends to make an instant believer out of one.

Last edited:
Also an advocate for well water. My water is damn delicious, city water tastes funny to me as I also grew up on a well. We have a trapping license so beavers are toast for the farmers around here if they ask for help.

My biggest fear is government not protecting the green belt. I bought because we backed up to the belt. Knowing it is semi-protected is a huge plus for us. Every single time a community meeting notice comes in I try to attend. I don't want monster housing complexes/more golf courses draining our wells.

Good quality ground water starts by having good waste water treatment and you don't need to go north to find communities that have a problem with both waste water and clean well water. :confused4: Not sure how this issue can even be addressed short of sending every household a little table top filtration system, a years worth of filters, a big bottle of iodine tablets and a phase contrast microscope to monitor your own water quality and even that is wasted effort if the water you are collecting is being polluted by your waste water output.

I can tell you one thing people in rural Canada wouldn't want is Toronto tap water, that stuff is nasty.

Toronto HOH is nasty ? Read this, it is more complex than you make it. People are dying from their drinking water. The petro chemical, forest products, and mining industry are still being issued polluted water permits as northern residents die because of the drinking water.
Human rights watch, Council of Canadians, Amnesty International and the UN have all taken Canada to task on the clean water issue.
The following information is from an article by the David Suzuki foundation. full article here https://canadians.org/sites/default/files/publications/report-drinking-water-advisories-0217.pdf

AAMJIWNAANG FIRST NATION:
A PROFILE OF CRITICAL DRINKING WATER ISSUES NOT COVERED BY DWAS
Tribal Council: Southern First Nation Secretariat
Population: 2,300 people

“Aamjiwnaang (pronounced am-JIN-nun)

Aamjiwnaang First Nation. (2016).

Aamjiwnaang First Nation. (2016).
http://www.aamjiwnaang.ca/about-us/.
16 |
GLASS HALF EMPTY?
RESOLVING DRINKING WATER ADVISORIES IN ONTARIO
“Water is sacred. We are made up of water just like
parts of the surface of the earth. Water is our first
teaching; it sustains life. Can you imagine a place
where the water is considered toxic?
There are 63 petrochemical facilities on the
traditional territory of Aamjiwnaang First Nation.
The facilities now completely encircle the First
Nation. The region is also known as Chemical
Valley and has been ranked by the World Health
Organization as one of Canada’s top hotspots for air
pollution. Residents experience high rates of cancer,
asthma, high blood pressure, headaches, learning
disabilities, birth defects, stillbirths, miscarriages
and a low life expectancy. Polychlorinated biphenyl
(PCBs) and mercury have been found in residents’
blood and hair.
Aamjiwnaang has the first documented case of
endocrine disruption. The air and water supply
has been so contaminated by the petrochemical
industry that two girls are born for every boy. Under
the United Nations recognition of the human right to
water, governments must step in to ensure that third
parties such as corporations or extractive industries
aren’t destroying local water systems.
Despite the impacts the petrochemical industry
is having on drinking water and residents’ health,
Aamjiwnaang is not under a water advisory. There
have been signs around Telford Creek warning First
Nation members not to swim or touch the polluted
waters of the creek.
What’s more, expansion of Line 9, a pipeline that
carries 240,000 barrels of oilsands and Bakken
crude oils per day from Sarnia to refineries in
Quebec, was approved in September 2015 and is yet
another threat to the First Nation’s water and health.
Vanessa Gray, Sarah Scanlon and Stone Stewart
turned off an Enbridge Line 9 pipeline valve to send
the message that they want this pipeline stopped to
protect water, climate and community health.
To date, First Nation members have called
for a stop to an increase in pollution permits,
decommissioning of Enbridge’s Line 9 and other
pipelines, water monitoring, remediation, and
recognition of Indigenous title and water rights.
But these demands continue to be ignored to the
detriment of the people of Aamjiwnaang First
Nation, the waters and the air that people breathe.
The polluted waters in Aamjiwnaang First Nation
are an example of why the federal government must
expand its commitment beyond ending boil water
advisories in First Nations. Some water advisories
are more severe than boil water advisories, such
as do not consume advisories. There are also
Indigenous First Nations that do not have clean,
safe drinking water but are not under any water
advisory, like Aamjiwnaang First Nation. The federal
government must commit to ensuring that every
First Nation has clean drinking water.

Last edited:
Anybody here able to witch for water?
Sadly I can't but my father-in-law was phenomenal at it, if you held the stick and nothing happened he could reach around and just touch the ends of the stick with 2 finger tips and the damn thing would start yanking on your grip. <- tends to make an instant believer out of one.

My mom is a farm girl and can witch. Her dad was better, but she is ok. I'm useless.

Also an advocate for well water. My water is damn delicious, city water tastes funny to me as I also grew up on a well. We have a trapping license so beavers are toast for the farmers around here if they ask for help.

My biggest fear is government not protecting the green belt. I bought because we backed up to the belt. Knowing it is semi-protected is a huge plus for us. Every single time a community meeting notice comes in I try to attend. I don't want monster housing complexes/more golf courses draining our wells.

Hmm. did you miss the you tube video of doug ford with chinese investors? Not yet even elected, Ford told these investors he would remove and free up some of our protected green belt for development, and they would make lots of money...hope you didn't vote conservative.

It is protected - not semi protected; for decades, unless mad men with a majority gov to dictate come into power..

clean water management is provincial - indigenous clean water management is federal

Last edited:
I think you're exaggerating quite a bit, but don't get overconfident in your well water - one tiny bit of run off from the wrong spot and your pristine well water is a Walkerton situation. Well water is great, until it's not, and you can't see ecoli and other contaminants until you're suffering the effects thereof..because there's no chlorine in it to kill that stuff like there is in city water.

Say what you will about city water, but it's well that our water treatment plants put out a very high quality (and most importantly, consistently safe) water supply.

And I say this as someone who great up on well water and knows the difference quite well. I've also seen people get sick from well water and/or have to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars installing treatment systems to to make it potable.

the walkerton situation was easily preventable. Water treatment operators did not test the water as req'd and falsified data, leading to the tragedy. The operator had no post secondary education in water treatment and was hired by a family member (nepatism unproven I believe) for the job. Drinking on the job amongst workers was also reported.

Last edited:
Hmm. did you miss the you tube video of doug ford with chinese investors? Not yet even elected, Ford told these investors he would remove and free up some of our protected green belt for development, and they would make lots of money...hope you didn't vote conservative.

It is protected - not semi protected; for decades, unless mad men with a majority gov to dictate come into power..

Mcguity tried to do the same thing.. Whats the difference. Hope you didn't vote liberal.

One iece of advice -- don't expect gov't to protect. I bought property that includes a protected waterfront woodlot. Several years ago I noticed my neighbour was building a retirement residence. Unhappy with the trees obstructing her office view, she ordered a clearcut for the portion of the woodlot on her property. The landscapers tagged 200 mature pine and maple trees for cutting, the underbrush was to be bulldozed.
I called the Town of Markham to report the pending cut, they referred me to the Region stating preservation of woodlots was York Region's jurisdiction. York Region dispatched their tree guys to the site - he was there in less than 2 hours. In that time the Town of Markham tipped off the neighbour -- instead of cutting the woodlot she bulldozed the mature trees before the regional team arrived.

Consequences? None. Overlapping jurisdictions with nobody interested in taking up the fight. Lost? Approx 1000 trees, 200 over 10" caliper.

One iece of advice -- don't expect gov't to protect. I bought property that includes a protected waterfront woodlot. Several years ago I noticed my neighbour was building a retirement residence. Unhappy with the trees obstructing her office view, she ordered a clearcut for the portion of the woodlot on her property. The landscapers tagged 200 mature pine and maple trees for cutting, the underbrush was to be bulldozed.
I called the Town of Markham to report the pending cut, they referred me to the Region stating preservation of woodlots was York Region's jurisdiction. York Region dispatched their tree guys to the site - he was there in less than 2 hours. In that time the Town of Markham tipped off the neighbour -- instead of cutting the woodlot she bulldozed the mature trees before the regional team arrived.

Consequences? None. Overlapping jurisdictions with nobody interested in taking up the fight. Lost? Approx 1000 trees, 200 over 10" caliper.

Hahaha. During an OMB hearing regarding potential destruction of protected forest, the board, proponents, lawyers and consultants took a bus trip to the site to see what the argument was about. As the bus pulled up, bulldozers were flattening the woodlot. The lawyers just shook their heads.

Back
Top Bottom