Shipping motorcycle overseas

rashidme

anyone shipped motorcycle overseas? please share:
1. shipper used.
2. cost.
3. was it painful?
4. any recommendation/suggestions?

What does it cost?

If you purchase a passenger ticket along with your motorcycle cargo fare, you can expect to fly to those European destinations for about $1,200-$1,300 CAD one way. If you don’t purchase a passenger ticket, air fare will be about $1,400-$1,550 CAD.

Getting your motorcycle back to Canada*is more pricey, just as in previous years. Expect to pay around 900 Euros for shipping your motorcycle back to Canada if you also purchase a return ticket, and around 1,200 Euros if you don’t purchase a return passenger ticket.

Inside Canada, it will cost you about $900 to ship your bike one way if you also purchase a passenger ticket; if you don’t buy a passenger ticket, it will cost you about $1,200.

Remember that the prices above*are for air fare only. Shipping your bike by air requires you get a certificate from a company that clears dangerous goods for each flight. Expect to pay at least $100 for this in Canada, and probably more at the other end, if you’re returning from Europe

http://canadamotoguide.com/2017/04/27/update-air-canada-motorcycle-cargo-rates/

Last edited:
Try contacting Air Canada Cargo.Apparently they do it all the time.I think its about $1000 each way to Europe, you drive it to the airport and they put it on a pallet for you.Ive heard its much easier to ship your bike to Paris. Its ready and waiting for you when you get off the plane.The UK is a whole different story, tons of red tape to get it through customs.I dont have first hand experience but looked into it about 8 years ago.I was planning shipping on my ST1300 there and just leaving it at the end of the trip.

OP

Can you be more specific......

Are you shipping the bike to someone cause you sold it or your selling it to someone overseas ?

Are you shipping the bike one way for yourself, for riding other times your overseas ?

Are you shipping the bike overseas and riding and then coming back with the bike ?

All 3 will potentially give you a different answer,,,method,,,cost,,shipper,,,etc...can vary

Last edited:
OP

Can you be more specific......

Are you shipping the bike to someone cause you sold it or your selling it to someone overseas ?

Are you shipping the bike one way for yourself, for riding other times your overseas ?

Are you shipping the bike overseas and riding and then coming back with the bike ?

All 3 will potentially give you a different answer,,,method,,,cost,,shipper,,,etc...can vary

i am selling it to my cousin and we wanted to compare if it would be more expensive with all the shipping costs etc? I see you guys mention air what about sea?

where are you planning to send the bike?

if not air, the cost will largely be dependent on a few things

-how close you are you to a port
-where it's going
-how close the recipient is to a port
-how much of a hurry are you in
-export/import red tape
-level of service you require, ie are you you willing to prep the bike for storage
buy/build an appropriate crate, get it in the crate, deliver the crate to shipping point
and handle the red tape on both ends

if you are willing and able to the things listed, you'll save a lot of dough
if you require turn-key service, it's gonna cost you

where are you planning to send the bike?

if not air, the cost will largely be dependent on a few things

-how close you are you to a port
-where it's going
-how close the recipient is to a port
-how much of a hurry are you in
-export/import red tape
-level of service you require, ie are you you willing to prep the bike for storage
buy/build an appropriate crate, get it in the crate, deliver the crate to shipping point
and handle the red tape on both ends

if you are willing and able to the things listed, you'll save a lot of dough
if you require turn-key service, it's gonna cost you

good points.
Bike is being sent to Asia. would you know a reputable freight company I can contact?

Motorcycles might weigh anything from 150 pound to 900 pounds :/ big difference.

Fedex will give you a free quote but they are going to want the weight and dimensions of the crated items. The recipient is going to need to investigate import taxes, duty and licensing issues that will undoubtedly arise. My guess is you are going to need to dismantle it and crate it into smaller packages and declare it as motorcycle parts. I'm almost certain that is how some motorcycle are declared when they are imported into Canada, probably works the same for export.

good points.
Bike is being sent to Asia. would you know a reputable freight company I can contact?

cannot give a personal recommendation based on personal experience for bikes
unless there is something unique about this bike
it's unlikely to make economical sense to do this

these are the possible shipping options for over-seas, ship based transport:

International Motorcycle Shipping Options

• RORO (Roll on, roll off) – Roll on, roll off service is a popular method for shipping any type of vehicle that involves travel by ship. Essentially, your motorcycle is driven onto the shipping boat, secured internally with a built-in mechanism or using tie downs and skids.
  • Crated – Crated motorcycle shipping is a secure and affordable way to transport a bike internationally. The way it works is that your bike is fastened tightly inside a crate, enclosed securely, and then placed on a pallet before transport. (This can also be called palletized motorcycle shipping).
  • Container – Containerized motorcycle transport is a cost-effective way to ship multiple bikes at once. Container shipping may be done with the use of crating, or it can mean securing the motorcycle inside a container by using straps and tie downs to make sure it stays put throughout the course of delivery.
  • Door to door – Even for international transport, having a motorcycle shipped right to your door is an option. Naturally, it will cost more than if you picked it up at a local terminal or port, but it’s the ultimate in convenience for long distance vehicle transport. Door-to-door motorcycle shipping is ideal for delivery of rare, high-end or classic bikes.
  • Port to port – A more affordable overseas shipping option than door-to-door is the port to port delivery option. Shipping a motorcycle from one port to another requires that you to pick up your bike at the destination point, which can be a shipping port or a delivery terminal.

Last edited:
so what you're looking for OP
is intermodal, LTL, international shipping

lots of companies do this
and are good at it

2 that operate in our area and can do this:
Anderson Haulage in Stouffville
Manitoulin Haulage - they are everywhere

either of these 2 outfits could do what you need done
but neither would be willing to crate the bike
you would have to do that and get the crate to them

the biggest stumbling block is likely to be finding a logistics Co
that will deal with an individual, and not gouge you
the 2 above are not typically looking to do one-off, cash business

so what you're looking for OP
is intermodal, LTL, international shipping

lots of companies do this
and are good at it

2 that operate in our area and can do this:
Anderson Haulage in Stouffville
Manitoulin Haulage - they are everywhere

either of these 2 outfits could do what you need done
but neither would be willing to crate the bike
you would have to do that and get the crate to them

the biggest stumbling block is likely to be finding a logistics Co
that will deal with an individual, and not gouge you
the 2 above are not typically looking to do one-off, cash business
You're looking for "LCL" (less than container), not LTL (less than trailer -- this is for North America only).

LCL charges are typically calculated port to port, then local delivery charges are on top of that. Toronto is considered a port, you would need to deliver a plywood crated bike to a logistics company in the GTA.

I moved a Royal Enfield LCL from Mumbai India to Toronto in 2016. The shipper crated the bike and delivered it to the shipping company. It cost me about $300USD for sea freight to Toronto, I had to pay an additional $40CAD to a local freight forwarder to unload, and make the bike available for custom's inspection. I haven't done any LCL import/export for a couple of years, it's not hard -- use an internet freight search service to fine a shipper covering your route then get him the crated bike. Beware it can take 90 days or more AND be sure to protect a motorcycle from corrosion of it's going by sea.

If you're proposing to ship a North-American-specification vehicle to Asia and proposing to register it for road use there, you had better check into technical requirements, and the underlying paperwork. I know it's impossible to go in the other direction unless the vehicle is more than 15 (Canada) / 25 (USA) years old. Some countries in Asia might not care ... others might make it prohibitively impossible because you will never get the paperwork and certifications that they demand. Asia is big and has a lot of countries in it that all have different requirements.

the part between here and Montreal is LTL
then you're right, it becomes LCL

Except OP said the bike wants to go Asia. Why do you want to go to Montreal?
It wants to get to San Diego.

The cheapest way I found to ship a bike is as freight.
You pallet the bike (go make nice to your friends at the bike dealership and get a shipping crate that they receive a new bike in)(Harley's have the best crates).
You take it to your local friendly freight forwarder. His/her rate is based on weight, BUT that weight is based on the volume (cubic feet) of the shipment. Each cubic foot of the shipment is assumed to weigh 70# (I think, something like that). So it is more expensive to ship 500# of styrofoam than 500# of bowling balls.
If you ship as freight be sure to understand the insurance. You will want more.

I have exported bikes to Japan and their import rules were similar to Canada's, until you start talking about BIG bikes, up to 700cc you're good.(Buddy imported a Harley decker into Tokyo in the '90s and the duties were something like 120%. He sold the bike in the crate for a tidy profit)
Count on a month and a half, minimum, from here to Japan.
Your broker is your best friend... or your worst enemy. (Like if you're shipping a bike to Vancouver it is a lot cheaper to take it across the border to ship it, and ship it to SeaTac. There is a HUGE destuffing charge at the Vancouver terminal. Avoid Vancouver if you can. Your broker has to know crap like that).

containerized freight from this part of Canada typically goes through MTL

for chits and giggles I looked at Montreal to Mumbai
through the Suez canal which is the way I'd expect to go
it's a couple of thousand miles, and a few days shorter
than from San Diego straight west across the Pacific

but Asia is a big place
if the destination is China or somewhere else east
across the Pacific is probably the way

Which country your shipping to, and what your shipping is important. Some Asian countries limit what you can import, Malaysia I believe may be 400cc max??
Livingston Logistics would be my first choice. They are not cheap, nor are their affiliates. Unless this is a truly unique bike, my guess is your looking at $1500,$2000 frt into an easy Port, Philippines , ROC, HK, if you start getting "remote' , best wishes.....

the part between here and Montreal is LTL
then you're right, it becomes LCL
Actually it's LCL the whole way -- LCL freight that originates in Toronto is stuffed into containers in Toronto - from there it may go by sea, rail or land to a container ship for ocean crossings.

Back
Top Bottom