Ontario launches auto insurance system review and public consultation | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ontario launches auto insurance system review and public consultation

roadrash

"The Ontario government is reviewing the province's auto insurance system in a bid to lower rates for drivers.
It says it will examine practices in other jurisdictions to find ways to make improvements and introduce more competition in the system."

Election ploy or real ? What do you guys think? Could be like how the liberals promised a reduction in rates, but never delivered .. or delivered at the expense of reduced coverage.

Link to the article:
https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/ontario-l...stem-review-and-public-consultation-1.4246433

On one hand, if you're a victim, it's a good thing that insurance is mandatory. On the other hand, mandatory insurance gives free reign for predatory rates. If you look at jurisdictions with lower premiums, one of the main factors you will most commonly find, is that they don't have you buy the balls.

There are still many states without mandatory insurance, and if you watch american TV, you will see alot of ads selling up competitive rates and value added services and features. Here, they own you, so it's more a game of "this is the rate, we don't really care if you like it or not, by the way you'll be paying us more next year even if you're a good driver."

"The Progressive Conservative government also says it will consult with drivers, insurance companies and other stakeholders until Feb. 15 to find ways to lower rates."

Someone in the insurance world needs to answer the question as to why multiple liability insurance is required in Ontario when you can only drive one vehicle at a time? In the 1980's, you would have your main vehicle as PL, PD, Comprehensive, Collison and every vehicle thereafter would cost you an extra $50 or so. Working on the real premise that you can only drive one vehicle at a time..which is true. Isn't what they're doing by charging you Liability for every vehicle illegal then?

No one likes to get reamed on rates but what about coverage?

Diminished value: If you like driving a new car and trade every year or two you lose money if some bozo piled into the back of you. Your car has damage history. Why should the innocent party suffer?

Similar for accident benefits if you're the innocent party and need rehab. You have to use up your benefits, the ones you paid for, before the insurer kicks in.

Who decides you're not hurt that bad? The insurers.

Rates are important but they can be lowered by further chopping the payouts.

If my insurance in Alberta (Edmonton) is $728.00 and $1,072.00 in Ontario there is about a 25% variable I'd like explained. Dougie???

Always reactive thinking, never proactive.

Target the drivers. Better training, mandatory winter tires, mandatory retesting, stiffer penalties and suspensions for transgressions and no more "accident" forgiveness.

300 collisions in the GTA for a lousy dusting of snow shouldn't happen.

A better task force on theft and fraud rings, and better industry control of repair prices. A windshield shouldn't be $1200 through insurance and $300 cash, or any other part for that matter.

I'll never forgive Bob Rae for not following through on his promise.

Realistically, I see things going like this:

Doug party: "We have determined that insurance is provably XX% more expensive in Ontario, make it cheaper"
Insurance industry: "Ok, so can we reduce coverage we have to pay out for again?"
Doug party: "Sure, people didn't figure it out last time"
Insurance: "Cool"

Later

Insurance: "Through fraud investigation and efficiencies, rates in the province have been reduced by 2% across the board!"

Target the drivers. Better training, mandatory winter tires, mandatory retesting, stiffer penalties and suspensions for transgressions and no more "accident" forgiveness.

I am 100% on board with this. I think this could solve a *lot* of different problems.

Always reactive thinking, never proactive.

300 collisions in the GTA for a lousy dusting of snow shouldn't happen.

A better task force on theft and fraud rings, and better industry control of repair prices. A windshield shouldn't be $1200 through insurance and $300 cash, or any other part for that matter.

I'll never forgive Bob Rae for not following through on his promise.

Haha you want a politician to follow through on something????

Anyhow something has to be done, things are getting outta control. I agree with some of what you are saying. Yep drivers could do better, simple things like signaling and just being f-ing aware they are on the road, and not speeding like a manic's would help.
Too bad there is no one on the road to enforce or watch out for these idiots... I guess that is another issue all together.

Wasn't there something about lawyers double dipping and basically gaming the system to charge outrages amounts?

Fraud though is probably the biggest part which needs to be worked on.

$1200 yup for a window pretty crazy, sound like more rigging of the system and someone is cashing in while taking advantage of the consumer.

Haha you want a politician to follow through on something????

Anyhow something has to be done, things are getting outta control. I agree with some of what you are saying. Yep drivers could do better, simple things like signaling and just being f-ing aware they are on the road, and not speeding like a manic's would help.
Too bad there is no one on the road to enforce or watch out for these idiots... I guess that is another issue all together.

Wasn't there something about lawyers double dipping and basically gaming the system to charge outrages amounts?

Fraud though is probably the biggest part which needs to be worked on.

$1200 yup for a window pretty crazy, sound like more rigging of the system and someone is cashing in while taking advantage of the consumer.
The biggest issues with insurance are:

1) Fraud. It's systemic. Tow trucks, body shops, ambulance chasing lawyers, therapists, and fraudsters. Remove some of the pigs from the trough.
2) Transparency. Make insurance companies release stats and actuarial basis for calculating premiums. And tighten the rules. For example, an excellent driver in Markham or Brampton has no greater chance of being at fault in an accident than does his counterpart in Etobicoke -- yet he pays a 30% premium.
3) Restrictions that promote gouging: She owns 2 motorcycles and a car yet drives only one at a time is forced to pay thrice because our system covers vehicles instead of people.

Back
Top Bottom