Jump start/booster | GTAMotorcycle.com

Jump start/booster

ungoloth

Site Supporter
I was
contemplating picking up a jump/boost battery pack until I read it's for lead acid batteries only. My bike has a lithium battery so I was wondering if there is anything safe to use for lithium?

I was
contemplating picking up a jump/boost battery pack until I read it's for lead acid batteries only. My bike has a lithium battery so I was wondering if there is anything safe to use for lithium?

Spare lithium battery? Isn't that the same size/weight/price as a jump pack?

I was
I would get a trickle charger that is specifically meant for lithium batteries.

The anti gravity battery in my SV died, turned into a $120 paperweight

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I was

Lithium batteries require special chargers.

I believe the original poster is talking about one of those portable booster-pack "start your car in an emergency" battery packs, something like this one https://www.amazon.ca/STANLEY-J309-...ocphy=1002216&hvtargid=pla-450176757048&psc=1

It has its own built-in battery charger (plugs into a wall outlet) and does not rely upon the vehicle's charging system. For boosting a vehicle's charging system in an emergency, it will work fine.

For boosting a vehicle's charging system in an emergency, it will work fine.

This. On a vehicle with a lithium battery I wouldn't want to leave it connected for any length of time trying to actually charge the dead battery, but to simply provide a source of power long enough to get the vehicle cranking and started, there's no reason it wouldn't work just fine - volts are volts and amps are amps when it comes to turning over a starter.

FWIW Costco had some on sale for a great deal a few weeks back, not sure if they are still there.

I would get a trickle charger that is specifically meant for lithium batteries.

The anti gravity battery in my SV died, turned into a $120 paperweight

I didn't have good luck with my AG battery either.
Shorai is pretty good though.

I was

The booster packs are fine to use with the battery in your bike, regardless of whether its lithium or traditional lead acid. I have one. It works awesome for bikes and small cars. It claims it will start a diesel truck up to 4 times, but I have never tested to verify it. It lives in my truck now for the day someone's car at work won't start at -35.

My guess was no because the voltages are different.

Found this on a lithium battery maker EarthX Q&A site:
Q: "Can I hook an EarthX battery in parallel or series with a lead acid battery?"
A: "No. The voltages are not the same and you will over charge the lead acid battery and drain the lithium. "

but that doesn't really say that you can't jump start a dead lithium with a lead acid battery, in fact they also say:

Q: "Can I jump a small motorcycle sized lithium battery from an automobile?"
A: "NO. It is not a good idea to “jump” a motorsport battery from a car or truck battery. It is much better to re-charge it if at all possible. On the top of each battery is a label that will specify the maximum amount of charging amps to use and a “jump” start from an automobile is about 150X more amperage than maximum amperage recommended, if not more. This can cause the cells to rupture and even catch on fire. This is true for all batteries, lithium or lead acid, if you must jump start the battery, do it from a like sized battery. A lead acid is much more tolerant than a lithium battery as they absorb the charge completely different. It is perfectly fine to jump start the EarthX battery from another motorcycle sized battery or use a jump pack."

... which I interpret as a definite maybe :| and they are probably just covering their butt by saying no don't do it.

The "can I connect it in parallel..." answer is true if you are attempting to PERMANENTLY connect it in parallel. A normal 4-cell LiFePO4 battery and a normal 6-cell maintenance-free lead-acid battery both want a charging system voltage (engine running) of 14.something volts, but the at-rest voltage (engine not running) of the LiFePO4 battery is higher than that of the lead-acid battery, so it will drain the LiFePO4 battery over time ...

You can make such a parallel connection momentarily for purposes of jump-starting without issue.

The jump-starting amperage is what's being drawn by the starting motor (which, in the course of doing so, is pulling the system voltage well below the at-rest voltage). That amperage is not passing through the battery, and it had better not be passing through either vehicle's fuse box. Starting motor circuits are not fuse protected on any vehicle. If you attempt to booster-start a seized engine, dead-short current will pass through the battery and the starting circuit. That's the only time it might present a risk ... and only if the dumb user keeps trying despite the engine not turning, or if the motor contactor sticks closed.

Side note that all batteries are dangerous but if you are faced with an unavoidable catastrophic lithium battery failure or fire, whatever you do don't breathe or physically contact the smoke or precipitant and don't try to put out a lithium fire with water. The gasses being released include hydrogen fluoride and with the addition of water that produces hydrofluoric acid which is toxic. The human body being comprised largely of water doesn't fair well with direct exposure to hydrogen fluoride.

Side note that all batteries are dangerous but if you are faced with an unavoidable catastrophic lithium battery failure or fire, whatever you do don't breathe or physically contact the smoke or precipitant and don't try to put out a lithium fire with water. The gasses being released include hydrogen fluoride and with the addition of water that produces hydrofluoric acid which is toxic. The human body being comprised largely of water doesn't fair well with direct exposure to hydrogen fluoride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdaFk3w6rUY

I just had a shipment rejected by Canada Post and returned to Germany because apparently they don't accept incoming international shipments that contain batteries. It's now on its way back with Fedex. Very strange but my guess would be it was related to potential fire risk. The battery in this item shouldn't be much bigger than a tablet battery. Eeediots.

I just had a shipment rejected by Canada Post and returned to Germany because apparently they don't accept incoming international shipments that contain batteries. It's now on its way back with Fedex. Very strange but my guess would be it was related to potential fire risk. The battery in this item shouldn't be much bigger than a tablet battery. Eeediots.
I wonder if the battery even had a charge in it?
Pretty sure the only way you could get a non-charged lithium ion battery to burn is to set a fire under it :|

I believe the original poster is talking about one of those portable booster-pack "start your car in an emergency" battery packs, something like this one https://www.amazon.ca/STANLEY-J309-...ocphy=1002216&hvtargid=pla-450176757048&psc=1

It has its own built-in battery charger (plugs into a wall outlet) and does not rely upon the vehicle's charging system. For boosting a vehicle's charging system in an emergency, it will work fine.

Those boosters and the schumacher ones are trash. don't ask me how I know.

a bit more money, but if you are going to buy one of these types of boosters, do it right.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GQDBNWS/ref=psdc_318336011_t1_B079T841W3#customerReviews

available from amazon.ca, but US site has way more info and reviews.

All my vehicles carry a jump start pack. No issues if jumping. Leave attached for 15 seconds or so before attempting to start.

Back
Top Bottom