Buying a new bike! Thoughts? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying a new bike! Thoughts?

basedboykyle

Keeping it around $3000 and under 500cc due to the cost of insurance I know I'm limited to options. I rode a CBR 125 for a year, grew out of it and sold it. Unfortunately I'm 21 and cant handle the cost of a 600cc insurance rate. I'd love to hop on a bike again spring . I've been doing research on bikes I could afford insurance. the gs500 , ninja 300, Yamaha r3 and Honda cf230m. Anyone have positive / negative experiences on these bikes? Any other suggestions?

None of those but I wouldlook at the 500cc (471) Honda lineup. Been around for a few years now and 2016 + had some good changes.

I don't know how your insurance company would rate it, but SV650s seem to be a dime a dozen when I was looking

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

Would suggest to try getting an insurance quote on kawi er6n or z650. Probably a long shot given your age and riding experience. Intact (through Dalton Timmis or Mitchel Whale or Surnet Insurance) and Desjardins are two insurers to call.

Honda CBR500R, CB500F are also options worth considering IMO.

Last edited:
Honda CBR250R or CBR500R. Both would be a big step up in performance from what you were used to, both have been sold in large numbers and at end of year discounted prices.

"cf230m Honda" You mean a CFR230M? That's a 230cc street legal enduro with motard wheels isn't it? Never even seen one, but that would in theory be a fun little ride and is a lot different then the rest you listed, that should also put you in the market for some Yamaha and Suzuki offerings.
If I ever bought a motored for street riding :/ I would undoubtedly lose my license due to wheelie activity.

Trust me; you don't really want a 600cc 4 cylinder anything at this point for way more reasons then the prohibitive insurance cost.

r3 rocks.

Or be a real Boss and snap up a Grom, it would mean not moving on from a 125 though.

I've come from one of the fastest bikes you can own in terms of acceleration and i'm loving the Grom.

Keeping it around $3000 and under 500cc due to the cost of insurance I know I'm limited to options. I rode a CBR 125 for a year, grew out of it and sold it. Unfortunately I'm 21 and cant handle the cost of a 600cc insurance rate. I'd love to hop on a bike again spring . I've been doing research on bikes I could afford insurance. the gs500 , ninja 300, Yamaha r3 and Honda cf230m. Anyone have positive / negative experiences on these bikes? Any other suggestions?
I'd stay away from the crf230m, they aren't much faster than your 125. Look for a klx250 motard, much more bike for the same(ish) money.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Like this one, or find one with motard wheels when spring gets closer.

Please view this ad:

2009 Kawasaki klx250s mint condition ,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-dirt-bikes-...ampaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

Price: $*3,200

Download the application from the Google Play Store.
http://goo.gl/Hs9Yg

Last edited:

I'd recommend getting any reliable Jap bike under 400* CC for 1-2K, you will very likely grow out of the bike faster then you imagine like I did, if you spend too much cash you may regret it once you get the desire for something with more grunt. Would definitely still recommend starting on a bike under 500cc's, just don't spend a large $ amount as you probably won't keep it for long, the safety of the lower power makes learning far easier and definitely worth it.

If you want most bang for buck I'd check the insurance on the recent Ninja 400s, those thing's are actually pretty fast for a beginner bike even.

Last edited:
I'd recommend getting any reliable Jap bike under 400* CC for 1-2K, you will very likely grow out of the bike faster then you imagine like I did, if you spend too much cash you may regret it once you get the desire for something with more grunt. Would definitely still recommend starting on a bike under 500cc's, just don't spend a large $ amount as you probably won't keep it for long, the safety of the lower power makes learning far easier and definitely worth it.

If you want most bang for buck I'd check the insurance on the recent Ninja 400s, those thing's are actually pretty fast for a beginner bike even.
Please direct me to a under 2k 300cc motorcycle, or good condition 1k motorcycle?
These values are a little ridiculous unless you're intending to go to Gatineu for a first bike check?

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

CBR 250s are cheap and get the job done. (Not for $1000 though)

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

Please direct me to a under 2k 300cc motorcycle, or good condition 1k motorcycle?
These values are a little ridiculous unless you're intending to go to Gatineu for a first bike check?

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

There are quite a few even now in January on Kijiji for Ninja 250's - I wouldn't get the ones on the low side of 1k tbh lol, the mid 2K ones look very good though.
If they're certified & run it's good to go. If the intent is to try and keep the bike as long as possible I would just get a Ninja 400 though.

https://www.kijiji.ca/b-motorcycles/ontario/ninja-250/page-2/k0c30l9004?sort=priceAsc

Last edited:
There are quite a few even now in January on Kijiji for Ninja 250's - I wouldn't get the ones on the low side of 1k tbh lol, the mid 2K ones look very good though.
If they're certified & run it's good to go. If the intent is to try and keep the bike as long as possible I would just get a Ninja 400 though.

https://www.kijiji.ca/b-motorcycles/ontario/ninja-250/page-2/k0c30l9004?sort=priceAsc

I think your suggestion of the low to mid 2000's is right on. buy one and drive it for a year or two and you'll get almost what you paid for it. The new 400 is obviously more than twice the price and the insurance is quite a bit more. Wait two years and you'll be able to pick up a cheap 400.

Stretch your budget to $4k - this will be a long term bike for you. Only 3700 km - lovely motor.

$_59.JPG

Really low kms, bike was only taken out in spring/summer on sunny days. Original owner, bought new in 2015. Excellent condition, never dropped or dented. It has been perfectly maintained (always winterized properly). Comes with battery tender and dust cover.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes...0f/1407280051?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

contact csouth@surnet.net for your insurance.

The actual cost of the bike is the least expensive component of ownership. Having sold a few bikes privately and was always amused at the nickel and dimeing on my asking price. Because the riding season is cut short by snow and ice, and because of insurance, bike ownership will always be too costly for young riders.

Other places in the world do not wrestle with outrageous insurance costs as we do. I know someone in Virginia with $250K liability coverage on 3 bikes and pays $300 for general liability per year (as sole rider in the house, you can only ride one bike at a time, so why would you get charged 3 times that because you have 3 bikes?). Makes perfect sense to me.

The system in Austria is similar in that you buy an insurance medallion that you carry with you in whatever vehicle you are using at the time. You could have 10 bikes and 10 cars (and would pay collision and comprehensive on each vehicle) but for general liability you only pay a flat fee for that insurance medallion since the logic is that you can only drive one vehicle at a time. But if you get into an accident and forget to have that medallion on you, you are screwed and won't have liability coverage.

I'd recommend springing for one of the 500cc offerings from Honda. I had the CB500F for a few years and really enjoyed it. Put about 18k on it within that time, bought it for $4600, and sold it for $3500 in March of 2018. Only thing that sucked was the wind at 120kph+ ... outside of that. Great bike.

People are recommending the new Ninja 400....that bike was around a few years ago and then left, only to come back to the lineup. Also a good bike. My buddy has one and loves it. Should be able to fit your budget.

Would you consider a supermoto/enduro? A great first bike option as they are inexpensive, you can beat them up and come in small displacements for cheaper insurance...

Plus they are the most fun you can have on 2 wheels -- I'm looking to add one to my collection as we speak. Good luck.

Would you consider a supermoto/enduro? A great first bike option as they are inexpensive, you can beat them up and come in small displacements for cheaper insurance...

Plus they are the most fun you can have on 2 wheels -- I'm looking to add one to my collection as we speak. Good luck.

I totally agree. I'm fortunate enough to have 3 bikes insured and on the road. One of them is a 2008 Yamaha WR250R. It's the slowest one I own, but it's surprising how often I choose to ride it instead of the others. (2012 Yamaha FZ8, 1978 Suzuki GS1000)

Back
Top Bottom