H-D Livewire pricing... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

H-D Livewire pricing...

The Livewire will look terrific in the showrooms, bolted to the floor beside the Street 500s and 750s.
Maybe they can park the Yamaha Niken beside them as well.

The Livewire will look terrific in the showrooms, bolted to the floor beside the Street 500s and 750s.
Maybe they can park the Yamaha Niken beside them as well.

The Niken is a *little* different - Yamaha can't be expecting to sell a lot of them.

The Livewire was an interesting idea, and I absolutely think there is a market for an electric bike that looks "cool" (obviously highly subjective, but the Zero is basically a dirtbike without graphics). $37K though.... I don't understand how they blew so far past any reasonable sticker price. I bet you could buy a new gasoline Harley and pay someone competent to convert it to electric for less than that

.. I really don't know who they are trying to market this to, it looks cool but that's about it.
Not to mention the released 30k pricing is USD...
Me.
I would have bought the one they let you test ride on the roller, right out of the show when it was first released, the longer it takes to release that same bike the less I want it because the competition for my dollar is going to change.

Part of me thinks the pricing is like this because the rebates do exist. Manufactures are charging a bit more to cash in. In the end Joe tax payer pays for it.

I'd think it has a bit to do with it but not all. It takes a lot of money in R&D to bring new products/technology to the market. Electric vehicles still represent under 2% of new vehicles sold (take Tesla out of the equation and it's more like 1%), if the manufacturers could shave some money out of them and get more on the road I'm sure they would.

The Niken is a *little* different - Yamaha can't be expecting to sell a lot of them.

The GTS 1000 was a little different and Yamaha didn`t sell a lot of them either. By all accounts it was a very good bike, maybe a bit ahead of it`s time. The Niken is getting great reviews...wonder if Can Am buyers will consider it?
There are loads of people with no shortage of cash out there, I won`t be surprised actually if the Livewire does well.... because ... H-D.

I'd think it has a bit to do with it but not all. It takes a lot of money in R&D to bring new products/technology to the market. Electric vehicles still represent under 2% of new vehicles sold (take Tesla out of the equation and it's more like 1%), if the manufacturers could shave some money out of them and get more on the road I'm sure they would.

I don't disagree with that. But look at Tesla, they were not even a car maker a few years ago and somehow they put it all together from scratch. What does that say for the rest of them which already have R&D, factories, design, suppliers etc and have been making cars for a long time.

I haven't even really looked close to what HD has done here just skimming, but I think they should have brought out 2 models. The higher priced one with a similar feel, look etc as their current market. More of a transition bike. And a lower priced model, styling etc which represents a new market all together, and really try and grab that new electric bike market.

Well hopefully this is just the tip of the iceberg and there is more in the works if they really are interested in this direction.

I have to say as a Zero owner, I was really curious about this, partly from a FOMO perspective. Seeing that price with those stats though, still thrilled with my choice. That being said, I agree with the argument that the LiveWire will sell "because HD". What I'm looking forward to now is how this impacts the electric motorcycle market in general.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I have to say as a Zero owner, I was really curious about this, partly from a FOMO perspective. Seeing that price with those stats though, still thrilled with my choice. That being said, I agree with the argument that the LiveWire will sell "because HD". What I'm looking forward to now is how this impacts the electric motorcycle market in general.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

this exactly , we all know fossil fuel is dead, possibly in our life time. Compact efficient transport is the future whether we like it or not.

I'll predict a shift where range is important, possibly more important than snap your neck performance, because these will become transportation.

this exactly , we all know fossil fuel is dead, possibly in our life time. Compact efficient transport is the future whether we like it or not.

I'll predict a shift where range is important, possibly more important than snap your neck performance, because these will become transportation.

I would say you maybe right if you are 30 . I don't see gas motors extinct for at least 20 years . Electric cars are only 2 percent of the sales . No one talks about the electrical infrastructure where all the cars will be charged . Not even on the road just to recharge at home . Will the current electrical grid handle all the extra draw . How much will it cost to retrofit all the condo garages with charging stations .

I would say you maybe right if you are 30 . I don't see gas motors extinct for at least 20 years . Electric cars are only 2 percent of the sales . No one talks about the electrical infrastructure where all the cars will be charged . Not even on the road just to recharge at home . Will the current electrical grid handle all the extra draw . How much will it cost to retrofit all the condo garages with charging stations .

Once range substantially exceeds daily usage (which is already the case for most BEV) charging during off-peak hours only saves money and is easily supported by out current infrastructure. The hardest challenge fornthe grid isnthe interim step where people deive to wrk and plug in during peak hours. Subsidizing installation of charging stations where they will be exclusively used at the worst possible time was another govenment green energy failure.

They should partner with Scottoiler for an HD badged aftermarket add-on that drips oil on the ground like the genuine article.

Haters gonna hate, why bother and where do you come up with this $hite

Me.
I would have bought the one they let you test ride on the roller, right out of the show when it was first released, the longer it takes to release that same bike the less I want it because the competition for my dollar is going to change.

agreed. if it was released remotely close to when they announced it for this price, theyd have a much better chance. especially with electric rebates going the way they are as well

They should partner with Scottoiler for an HD badged aftermarket add-on that drips oil on the ground like the genuine article.

Thanks for my morning chuckle. Glad I wasn't drinking my coffee when I read this. :lmao:

Haters gonna hate, why bother and where do you come up with this $hite

Not hate, truth. I guess you never saw the decorative paving stones in the customer bike parking area just after Harley opened their short-lived dealership on Lawrence just east of the DVP. I believe that's a Tesla dealership now.

... No one talks about the electrical infrastructure where all the cars will be charged . Not even on the road just to recharge at home . Will the current electrical grid handle all the extra draw . How much will it cost to retrofit all the condo garages with charging stations .

You probably aren't listening.

Literally Billions are being spent by automobile manufacturers to address this. Porsche Alone (which is a very small company) is spending over 6 billion Euros on "Electromobility", at least half of that is on infrastructure alone. Other companies are likewise spending a ton on it.

..Tom

I like to talk smack about HD as much as the next guy but a friend who is a life long sportbike rider/racer works at an HD dealer now and was blown away by the amount of bikes that come in for service with 100,200,300k on them.

From what I have seen when touring there are lots of Harleys with 100, 200, 300,000 miles on them. You dont;' see themn sittign around the local Timmies or Starbucks as they are out riding. They aren't a large percentage of total sales as a lot of people are attracted to the brand that aren't high mileage riders. It seems to me that there probably are more Harleys with well over 100,000 miles/160,000 km than any other bikes except probably Gold Wings and maybe BMW's.

..Tom

Personally I don't get the electric motorcycle. Lets look at a basic Zero -- For $13K I get a motorcycle has a highway range of 30KM or 15 minutes on a full charge, and has the same top speed as an CBR125 or Grom. At today's fuel prices, the CBR would need to travel 400,000km before it's cost of ownership exceeded the Zero. For $22K I can get a top end Zero that will take me 100 miles or about 1.5hrs before needing a 12 hr recharge. Performance is about the same as a CBR500, which would also need to travel 400,000+km to match the TCO.

So... what do I get from the electric motorcycle? Performance? No. Economy? No.

Someone help me.

Back
Top Bottom