Recommendation on Micro SD Card for dash cam | GTAMotorcycle.com

Recommendation on Micro SD Card for dash cam

EC2010

Hi. recently bought a brand new SanDisk 32GB card and it died already after maybe 2 months in the dash cam for daily commute.

What do you use for your dash cam?

I'm contemplating if I should fork out the money and get a Samsung endurance SD card..... any input is appreciated.

thanks !! picked one up. hope this one will last awhile.

You can get away with cheaper cards, as long as they are bigger. Or just pick ones with warranties, since it does not appear to be common to publish write endurance for SD cards.

I can't remember the one I'm using in my A119 offhand, I think it's some Sandisk 64GB variant. Have been using it for... half a year maybe?

Great reviews on the blackvue cams. I'm getting a DR590w installed as we speak. Single channel.
My kid has had one for 2 yrs and has had NO problems.

What dashboard camera do you recommend?

I use this for all 3 vehicles in my house hold:
https://www.amazon.ca/YI-1080P60-Da...sr=8-1-spons&keywords=xiaomi+yi+dashcam&psc=1

I bought my first one back in October, and then picked up 2 more on boxing day at $45 each. Pretty solid cam. I didn't pay much attention to the reviews about how the cold weather affected some users. For me, the car is parked outside exclusively, and the cam starts everytime with the car. I'm just too cheap to fork out hundreds for one cam as I have to outfit 3 vehicles.

I use this for all 3 vehicles in my house hold:
https://www.amazon.ca/YI-1080P60-Da...sr=8-1-spons&keywords=xiaomi+yi+dashcam&psc=1

I bought my first one back in October, and then picked up 2 more on boxing day at $45 each. Pretty solid cam. I didn't pay much attention to the reviews about how the cold weather affected some users. For me, the car is parked outside exclusively, and the cam starts everytime with the car. I'm just too cheap to fork out hundreds for one cam as I have to outfit 3 vehicles.
I have the same dashcam and everytime temperature drops below -6 deg celcius, the cam has trouble booting/starting up. It keeps on boot looping till the car warms up. You don't have this issue?

My car is always parked outside on the driveway.

Also license plates are not really legible unless you're super close to the car in front.

Edit: on replacing the cigerrete lighter adapter that came with the cam with another one I had, looks like the boot loop issue is resolved. Camera started up fine in -10 this morning.

Last edited:
*knocks on wood* so far no issues. Thanks for sharing your experience and I'll keep an eye on it.

Interestingly enough, my previous Papago had the exact same issue with the adapter.

I have the same dashcam and everytime temperature drops below -6 deg celcius, the cam has trouble booting/starting up. It keeps on boot looping till the car warms up. You don't have this issue?

My car is always parked outside on the driveway.

Also license plates are not really legible unless you're super close to the car in front.

Edit: on replacing the cigerrete lighter adapter that came with the cam with another one I had, looks like the boot loop issue is resolved. Camera started up fine in -10 this morning.

Personally, I have found that SD cards that are self-contained seem to work better in the cold. Ones that have an adapter holding a micro-SD card seem to have the adapter fail regularly. I can confirm it's the adapter by changing the micro-SD to a different, functioning adapter. For me, they are used in trail cams that don't go through quite the radical temperature fluctuations, but they are in small devices subject to weather so the humidity changes a lot. I don't know if that will help with dashcams, but something to take into account.

They'll need a lot of dashcams?

That's a bad thing?

large_000000.jpg

Hi. recently bought a brand new SanDisk 32GB card and it died already after maybe 2 months in the dash cam for daily commute.

What do you use for your dash cam?

I'm contemplating if I should fork out the money and get a Samsung endurance SD card..... any input is appreciated.

Not sure what dash cam you have but if it has wifi make sure sd card is class 10 or higher.

Back
Top Bottom