The confusion of car buying | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The confusion of car buying

Other than the odd demo most used cars I see on dealer lots look like lease returns or daily rentals, 50,000 - 60,000 Km, 1-2 years old. I know it's a crap shoot on buying an unknown history vehicle but again any comments?

For less than a new base model you get a well equipped used.

The demos I was looking at were true dealer demos (test-drive vehicles). At relatively low km's (+/- 10,000 depending on brand), the dealerships want to dump them as they don't want to switch from manufacturer provided financing to private financing.

My wife used to have an ex-rental focus (and it had been in an accident). It was priced right. It was retired at 250K with a bad transmission bearing. Not sure if that was related to its history or not.

Normally I agree with you and try to buy used, but for some vehicles, the $'s dont work as expected. When i bought a TDI in 2013, it was more than $1000 cheaper to buy a brand mew one at a dealer than a two year old used one. Sure, maybe I could have haggled the used one down some, but not nearly enough to make it worthwhile.

Last edited:
I'm more interested in why anybody would take a 6x10 trailer loaded to the tits with furniture and back from San Diego?

We brought furniture etc. to my husband's son who had just been married, just had a kid and as a US Marine was stationed out there...it was to help them get started out in life...we came back empty...?

FWIW I came across a new old stock base model 2018 Santa Fe in Mississauga with about $5000 knocked off the price and pulled the trigger. Wife likes it so happy wife happy life.

Congrats on the Santa Fe. I had one earlier this year as a rental and I quite liked it.

FWIW I came across a new old stock base model 2018 Santa Fe in Mississauga with about $5000 knocked off the price and pulled the trigger. Wife likes it so happy wife happy life.

I drove a beat up Tucson in Panama and it handled everything like a champ, including some driving in places it had no business being in. One rear door handle came off in my hand but the thing had several hundred clicks on it and a few dings and had been round the block. There were quite a few places renting Hyundais actually so they can handle rough treatment as there were many actual paved roads in some places I went to.

Last edited:

grats.

Listen to this man, don't buy a GM.

poorly engineered vehicles, far better choices on the market.

Far better?
I bought a GM and a Honda last year. Everything I use is better on the GM.
For instance.......I can roll the (pwr) windows up and down 5 times in the GM while the Honda will be lucky to go down once in the same time frame. Very slow pwr motors.
If I take a corner any faster than gramma speed, the interior lights come on because the door wants to open so bad in the Honda. Hasn't happened to the GM.
Cooled seats? I can feel them work in the GM, not so much in the Honda.
Gas mileage is the same, even though the GM has 370hp more than the Honda.
Here's one that shocks me......fit and finish is noticeably better on the GM.
(I still like both of em).

I just replaced my F150 with a GMC Sierra and couldn't be happier. There were a number of systemic issues with the Ford.

1) Suspension - It seems as though they put a much lighter Aluminium body on a the new F150 but didn't change the suspension rate. Its very harsh and chattery over even the tiniest ripples and bumps. Its hard to live with as a daily driver

2) Aluminium Body - Stare at it hard and it dents. I had holes in the bed of the truck from carrying heavy stuff - had a couple of engines in there. This is not what i expected. The paint kept peeling off around the handle on the tailgate. It's hard to paint Aluminium

3) Ford "Ecoboost" Engine - There are 2 things wrong with wrong with that name. First, its not "eco". My V6 was getting worse gas mileage than my friends Silverado with a V8, but the thing that killed this truck for me is "boost". There is none. It just wouldn't tow. I have a toy hauler and even heading east on the 401 between the 115 and Port Hope it struggled really badly with those hills, and they are not that steep.

So while there may be "Far Better Choices", there are also far worse

Last edited:
For me it's also that they screwed all kinds of people out of jobs in our province. There are other makes we can give our money to.

I just replaced my F150 with a GMC Sierra and couldn't be happier. There were a number of systemic issues with the Ford.

1) Suspension - It seems as though they put a much lighter Aluminium body on a the new F150 but didn't change the suspension rate. Its very harsh and chattery over even the tiniest ripples and bumps. Its hard to live with as a daily driver

2) Aluminium Body - Stare at it hard and it dents. I had holes in the bed of the truck from carrying heavy stuff - had a couple of engines in there. This is not what i expected. The paint kept peeling off around the handle on the tailgate. It's hard to paint Aluminium

3) Ford "Ecoboost" Engine - There are 2 things wrong with wrong with that name. First, its not "eco". My V6 was getting worse gas mileage than my friends Silverado with a V8, but the thing that killed this truck for me is "boost". There is none. It just wouldn't tow. I have a toy hauler and even heading east on the 401 between the 115 and Port Hope it struggled really badly with those hills, and they are not that steep.

So while there may be "Far Better Choices", there are also far worse

I dunno man, Ive been following the "ALL NEW" redesigned 2019 Silverado, from what I'm seeing, its your typical GM crapola

First off, a 4 cyl in a full size? Why? the fuel economy on it is shocking... https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a25953794/chevrolet-silverado-four-cylinder-fuel-economy-test/

Then in a comparison test, the editors are shocked in disbelief at its cut rate interior, and shaky ride. One editor calls it a "$70,000 kick in the nuts!" LOLZ

Sure, its V8 is decent, but they've been making those forever, they better get it right. But the rest of the truck? More evidence of GMs downward spiral.

but don't take my slanted views for it, read the review for yourself, its quite hilarious. there is no better way to evaluate a vehicle then to conduct back to back tests of equivalent vehicles.

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...50-vs-chevrolet-silverado-vs-ram-1500-pickup/

Last edited:
I dunno man, Ive been following the "ALL NEW" redesigned 2019 Silverado, from what I'm seeing, its your typical GM crapola

First off, a 4 cyl in a full size? Why? the fuel economy on it is shocking... https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a25953794/chevrolet-silverado-four-cylinder-fuel-economy-test/

Almost every manufacturer plays this stupid fuel economy game, just the domestics seem to do it worse than the imports.

If the tests were remotely realistic, engine size would be roughly correlated to vehicle weight. As it is, IIRC, the fastest acceleration required by the gov testing is 0 to 60 in 10 seconds and most of the acceleration is closer to 0 to 60 in 20 seconds. That sets the test up perfectly for a woefully undersized engine with a turbo to try to make it marketable. The test demands so little from the motor that the turbos never spin up.

If the test included some realistic light to light racing, the undersized engines.would disappear as their fuel economy would plummet below a properly sized motor (as born out in the tests you referenced).

Then in a comparison test, the editors are shocked in disbelief at its cut rate interior, and shaky ride. One editor calls it a "$70,000 kick in the nuts!" LOLZ

Sure, its V8 is decent, but they've been making those forever, they better get it right. But the rest of the truck? More evidence of GMs downward spiral.

but don't take my slanted views for it, read the review for yourself, its quite hilarious. there is no better way to evaluate a vehicle then to conduct back to back tests of equivalent vehicles.

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...50-vs-chevrolet-silverado-vs-ram-1500-pickup/

To be fair, that I4T would be screaming trying to push that brick sh*thouse through the wind at 60mph. Just goes to show you that less cylinders doesn't equal better fuel efficiency.

I agree that GM T1XX so far looks like a dud.

My pick in that class is the new Ram. The drivetrain I would actually buy would be the V6 with eTorque (which is standard equipment).

I agree that GM T1XX so far looks like a dud.

My pick in that class is the new Ram. The drivetrain I would actually buy would be the V6 with eTorque (which is standard equipment).
Problem is every fca product i have owned has stupid problems. 2015 promaster wires all break in rear door hinges not allowing vehicle to be locked due to cheap wire and terrible design. Same van drl sockets burned up due to poor quality sockets. Bad igniton coils under intake manifold. All relatively minor but very annoying and seem to be from poor design.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Cant complain about my 08 Sierra 4.8 RCSB with just under 400,000km on it runs like a champ, drive it dailiy, to make it more enjoyable I had it reageared and custom tuned, only things really had gone bad other then normal wear parts are some of the junk made in mexico window switches gone bad.

Problem is every fca product i have owned has stupid problems. 2015 promaster wires all break in rear door hinges not allowing vehicle to be locked due to cheap wire and terrible design. Same van drl sockets burned up due to poor quality sockets. Bad igniton coils under intake manifold. All relatively minor but very annoying and seem to be from poor design.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I don't follow FCA products but does the ProMaster still have the minivan transmission? When shopping for our fleet the front wheel drive and transmission were huge NO's for me

One of my competitors who has more trucks than me tried one. The thing was in the shop just about every week for one problem or another. He swore never to lease one again and couldn't wait to return it.

Back
Top Bottom