Tires on sale anywhere? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tires on sale anywhere?

PrivatePilot

Ironus Butticus
Site Supporter
I need both front and rear for my VTX this season, especially with several very big trips planned.

Pete's Superbike is actually about $40 cheaper for the set right now vs Fortnine, even after their "buy a set get $10 off" deal, so barring any deals anywhere else I think I'll order from Pete's, but just checking if anyone else has seen any deals elsewhere first.

I want to order soon and get them on before the customary spring rush when everyone else needs tires installed yesterday..and now it's an emergency. ;)

Don't you pay for shipping at Pete's, making the price essentially the same as F9?

Whatever the case, bring the quote to GP, they'll match it.

via Tapatalk

Zdeno has a huge assortment at the bike show this weekend, always well priced.

got my dunlops and service done at ace moto tech. found it was cheaper than the other mentioned above for what i wanted. there are manufacture discount to keep a look out for.

On this note, what's the best deal out there on any kind of normal sized 17"? The tires on the CB919 are pretty old... they still feel good but I want to replace them

Don't you pay for shipping at Pete's, making the price essentially the same as F9?

Whatever the case, bring the quote to GP, they'll match it.

via Tapatalk

Even with the "Free" shipping from Fortnine and the $10 discount they are still showing $290.39 for the 2 Shinko 777's I want. Petes Superbike is pretty much the same within $1-$2.

I may take the suggestion to go to GP. Their labour rates are pretty crazy for tire installations last I checked though - the quoted labour cost for the front struck me as crazy for a 5 minute job taking in off and back on again. The rear I can understand (shaft drive, etc). I usually buy the tires and then take the front off and carry it in for install somewhere - I used to deal with Clarington Cycle, but they're gone now. Someone told me GP won't do it anymore.

My last rear tire swap I pulled it myself and did the carry-in thing, but after doing it once...I swore I'd never do it again, so I may just take the bike in for that this time around. ;)

Friends just got a sweet deal on a set of Q3+ at the Vos Motors booth at the show this weekend.

My last rear tire swap I pulled it myself and did the carry-in thing, but after doing it once...I swore I'd never do it again,

I find doing the carry in thing too inconvenient..
So much so that last year I "invested" in a No-Mar tire changer set up and a BikeMaster balancer.
'Couple or three more tire swaps and it'll have paid for itself.

I find doing the carry in thing too inconvenient..
So much so that last year I "invested" in a No-Mar tire changer set up and a BikeMaster balancer.
'Couple or three more tire swaps and it'll have paid for itself.

I thought about doing the same, but Clarington Cycle was charging me $30 a tire or something like that (carry in)..so it was reasonable, and I was happy to support them.

The problem with the shaft drive bike is that I quickly discovered it's a crappy job. Sore back afterwards, some blood, and a few curse words were involved.

I'm planning to just take the whole bike and eat the labour this time. I know the guy from Clarington Cycle moved to Asseltines (or whatever it's called now) so I'll just take it there I suspect. Will order tires sometime this week and ride the bike and the rubber up there at the first decent opportunity thereafter. Like I said, I don't want to be one of those guys who waits until the first blast of warm weather and then decides to look for fast service at the bike shops. ;)

The problem with the shaft drive bike is that I quickly discovered it's a crappy job. Sore back afterwards, some blood, and a few curse words were involved.

That's weird...
My FJR is shaft drive... When it comes to wheel removal, I find it pretty easy compared to the chain drive of the 1250 Bandit I once owned. Way less messy.
'Cured the sore back issue by buying a 1000lb lift table... No more sitting on the floor for this old fart..!

It's true that all these tools/accessories can cost a fair bit of money, but... I think most people will forget what they spent after they get used to how much easier life is with having said tools/accessories in their garage.

Yeah, the "invest a bunch to save a little" bug has bit me before, as is evidenced by a garage full of tools that I rarely use anymore taking up a lot of space. ;)

As for the job itself, at least on my VTX, it was a PITA - exhaust is tight to the swingarm and shaft, etc. I suspect like many things the second time would be drastically quicker than the first time, but I've officially reached the age where jobs that I would have gladly (excitedly, in some cases) tackled are now of less interest to me. I like riding, I'm not a huge fan of hours of wrenching anymore however.

Yeah, the "invest a bunch to save a little" bug has bit me before, as is evidenced by a garage full of tools that I rarely use anymore taking up a lot of space. ;)

As for the job itself, at least on my VTX, it was a PITA - exhaust is tight to the swingarm and shaft, etc. I suspect like many things the second time would be drastically quicker than the first time, but I've officially reached the age where jobs that I would have gladly (excitedly, in some cases) tackled are now of less interest to me. I like riding, I'm not a huge fan of hours of wrenching anymore however.

I'm like that with cars... Bikes however, I don't mind wrenching on once in a while.

I will do small jobs on the bikes, sure. Heck, I used to do big jobs - rebuilt a few engines in my garage over the years.

Big as my back gets more and more easily injured (increasingly struggling with that the last few months), jobs that require me to be crawling around on the floor for hours to save maybe $75 in labour just aren't worth my time anymore. ;)

I'm wondering if there were one or more lawsuits not too long ago.

A guy in the next town over, used to swap tires in his garage.
He even upgraded his lift to an in ground one.

Then last year, I found that he only did swaps if you pulled them off of the bike.

I checked at the local Honda dealer, and found that if I brought the wheels,
they were with a couple of $ of Pete's price, so that's where I ended up.

I thought about doing the same, but Clarington Cycle was charging me $30 a tire or something like that (carry in)..so it was reasonable, and I was happy to support them.

I'm planning to just take the whole bike and eat the labour this time. I know the guy from Clarington Cycle moved to Asseltines (or whatever it's called now) so I'll just take it there I suspect. Will order tires sometime this week and ride the bike and the rubber up there at the first decent opportunity thereafter. Like I said, I don't want to be one of those guys who waits until the first blast of warm weather and then decides to look for fast service at the bike shops. ;)
Why not call asseltines and get a price? I know i wouldn't install tires bought somewhere else without a hefty premium if i had a motorcycle shop.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I know the guy from Clarington Cycle moved to Asseltines (or whatever it's called now) so I'll just take it there I suspect.

So why don't you buy the tires from Asseltines? Go make a deal with them.

Edit: Scuba Steve beat me to it. What he said! ^^^

Why not call asseltines and get a price?

If they're even remotely competitive, sure. I know GP will come close to online pricing when asked, so that's an option as well.

I know i wouldn't install tires bought somewhere else without a hefty premium if i had a motorcycle shop.

Again, if the price is decent I'd give you my money, but if you're charging twice the price for the tires upfront vs online, yeah, I'll buy them online and find someone else who will take my money to install them. And then I'd come here and tell everyone else that said business tried to hose me on labour just because I didn't want to pay their inflated price for the parts to begin with. Every possible way, running a business that way, you lose.

I know there's the argument for supporting your local bike shop, blah blah...but sorry, 25% premium over online I'd gladly pay, but (for example) 2 years back when I last swapped my front tire a local shop tried to quote me $250 for the same tire I can buy online for $102.

My willingness to support a shop is inversely proportional to how badly they're trying to rip me off on the parts to do the job.

My willingness to support a shop is inversely proportional to how badly they're trying to rip me off on the parts to do the job.

I subscribe to the idea of economic Darwinism...
If a business can't compete it deserves to fail.
It's not meant to be mean, it's just reality... No one owes any particular business anything.
'Some times the numbers just don't work and a business is or becomes unfeasible.

Back
Top Bottom