Where to mount your EZ Pass Transponder | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where to mount your EZ Pass Transponder

cycling

Site Supporter
Asking the above.

Crossing with a Nexus pass. Assume, stop, flash the pass. Then onto the EZ pass transponder. Peace Bridge/Whirlpool into USA and or Ambassador bridge Windsor. Ontario.

With a dark windshield.

Please and Thanks. :)

If the windshield is darkened by a ceramic or metallic tint that can block RF, (assuming you're talking about on the bike) I'd put the EZ pass transponder in a tank bag pocket so it has line of sight to the lane's overhead antenna. I've even read reports that having it in a jacket pocket will work too.

If you're talking about in the car and you have tint that can block RF, maybe hold it out your driver's side window when going through the lane?:confused:

If the windshield is darkened by a ceramic or metallic tint that can block RF, (assuming you're talking about on the bike) I'd put the EZ pass transponder in a tank bag pocket so it has line of sight to the lane's overhead antenna. I've even read reports that having it in a jacket pocket will work too.

If you're talking about in the car and you have tint that can block RF, maybe hold it out your driver's side window when going through the lane?:confused:

Thank you. Yes it is for the motorbike. Not sure what the windshield composition is made with. Puig. Do not have a tank bag. Not metallic. How about side Pannier pockets. Happy New Year.

Haven't read anyone reporting transponder in panniers work, but my guess is that it should (if people have had it successfully read from a tank bag or jacket pocket). I'm also guessing the best chance of it being read is if it's oriented so it's presenting a wide side, rather than a narrow profile.

Im not sure from your question if you know that Nexus is for border crossing and EZ is for tolls. Even with a Nexus you have to stop and talk to border guards. The EZ Pass is basically the same as the 407 transponder except you have to slow down to go through the toll booth with it, unlike the 407. It will not work in a pocket. Again, like the 407, if you have your plate linked to your account you wont need the transponder. The camera will catch your plate and, if linked to your account, will bill you the same as if you had the transponder.

Link your plate to your account and don't worry about the transponder.

Im not sure from your question if you know that Nexus is for border crossing and EZ is for tolls. Even with a Nexus you have to stop and talk to border guards. The EZ Pass is basically the same as the 407 transponder except you have to slow down to go through the toll booth with it, unlike the 407. It will not work in a pocket. Again, like the 407, if you have your plate linked to your account you wont need the transponder. The camera will catch your plate and, if linked to your account, will bill you the same as if you had the transponder.

Link your plate to your account and don't worry about the transponder.

Yes, thank you. I have used my Nexus when in the car. Do not know why but it did not register. When stopped by Customs they where exceedingly nice when I nearly went past them. Hope I do not have that problem on the bike. At the time I did not have an EZ pass. Hence my question. Are you saying if it is registered with my bike it does not matter if it does not see the Transponder. I can just continue without stopping. Just move slowly. I have a large "M" on the transponder.

With Nexus you need to stop at the card reader and hold the card out for it to be read before proceeding to the guard (where you have to stop and talk to them for a bit). Going to the US you will see a counter that will register if it has been read or not. Either way, you still need to stop. If it hasn't been read the guard will ask for your card so make sure you have it in your hand before you hit the crossing. You cant just drive through.

For EZ Pass, as long as your bike plate is registered on your EZ account you will be ok to pass through without the transponder registering. In NY state you don't need to stop but you will have to slow down (5 MPH I think) when passing through as there are no gates to stop at (mostly). In PA and IA most have gates that you have to stop at so you will need the transponder handy someplace. If it doesn't read it you can pull it out of your pocket or whatever to get it to read.

With Nexus you need to stop at the card reader and hold the card out for it to be read before proceeding to the guard (where you have to stop and talk to them for a bit). Going to the US you will see a counter that will register if it has been read or not. Either way, you still need to stop. If it hasn't been read the guard will ask for your card so make sure you have it in your hand before you hit the crossing. You cant just drive through.

For EZ Pass, as long as your bike plate is registered on your EZ account you will be ok to pass through without the transponder registering. In NY state you don't need to stop but you will have to slow down (5 MPH I think) when passing through as there are no gates to stop at (mostly). In PA and IA most have gates that you have to stop at so you will need the transponder handy someplace. If it doesn't read it you can pull it out of your pocket or whatever to get it to read.

Fantastic. You have answered all my questions. Thank you also fellow riders. :)

Back
Top Bottom