Daytona Bike Week. Yah or Meh? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Daytona Bike Week. Yah or Meh?

jeff96

I have a week off in March. Depending on weather, I'd like to take a road trip south on the bike. Is Daytona a good destination for bike week, or is it more of a trade show? I wouldn't necessarily want to stay more than a day or two. I've driven down to Savanna and Charleston the last few years in the cage, so I'm sure I can keep myself busy exploring.

I've enjoyed going to some of the Toronto Motosocials. Is it a similiar vibe? Looks like more boobs and bikinis, which isn't a bad thing...

I'd say yes, do it at least once. We trailered from Whitby on Thursday, straight to Daytona and got there Friday am. Stayed around Daytona til Monday, then messed off down towards Miami/ the Keyes for the week. Back to Daytona on Friday, loaded bikes and booked it home.

Daytona was fun, the races were excellent. The rest of it was just touring around.

I haven't been personally, but a friend has and I'll relay his story. They loaded up the bikes and went to Daytona. The youngest and very well built of member of the group decides he's going to go shirtless while they cruise the strip the first time. The eldest in the group puts on a full sleeved denim shirt and buttons it up to the top button. Young guy laughs at older guy. It takes more than 2hrs to cruise the strip from one end to the other and back at a snails pace. The next day the young guy is burnt like a lobster, older guy laughs at young guy. They enjoyed the rest of their week, but due to massive attendance got very little riding done.

The following year the same group decides to go again. Only hotel they could get into was an hour away from Daytona. Halfway into the ride to Daytona they realize how much MORE fun it is to ride (even through FLA is very flat and not terribly exciting) and decided to continue riding and never went to Daytona the whole week. Everyone agreed it was WAY more fun to go riding than to attend the rally.

Your experience may vary, so take it for what it's worth. Me personally, I hate large groups of people where all movement is slow, and I especially don't like large groups of middle-aged people (which I am officially a member of) pretending they're tough bikers for a week (something I have no interest). If I wanted to see people pose I'd attend a burlesque show. At least that would be enjoyable!

I’ve stayed at Silver Springs Trailer Park in Ocala. They have cabins for rent and reasonable. Mind you, it was the week before bike week and it was perfect for riding as well as stopping by some of the regular spots like the Iron Horse for a pint.

Still plenty of bikes and plenty of places to grab a shirt or parts or whatever.

I had the Buell that was a lot of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like it's worth a on day visit, then wander the coastal highways after

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

A cool place to hit at least once . Lot's of vendors by the Harley dealer . Many bars in town to enjoy a few drinks . Tons of police to keep people in line many plain clothes .

I hate large groups of people where all movement is slow, and I especially don't like large groups of middle-aged people (which I am officially a member of) pretending they're tough bikers. If I wanted to see people pose I'd attend a burlesque show. At least that would be enjoyable!

So, you wont be going to the motorcycle show this weekend at the International Center then?

Worth going for the races.I would start looking for someplace to stay ASAP if you’re serious.I stayed in Ormand Beach which is the next town north of Daytona.I was there for Bike Week in 2000.

If you haven't been its worth a look, you'll see some pretty impressive bikes and some "florida sights" . Its a very big festival. Get race tickets if you can, you can only stand around looking at bikes with a beer in your hand for so many hours, so I hear...

So this might be an epic mistake, but I've got a 5 day pass at Daytona Speedway (includes the Daytona 200 bike race) and camping on the infield. I'll have a few days to cruise wherever before I arrive, and really cheap camping ($10) once I get there. It might be party central at the camping area, so it may not be very restful, but that's for another trip.

I went with a group of friends way back in '05. It was... interesting. It's a **** show really. A lot of, well, freaks. A lot of eye candy (both human and mechanical). A lot of standing around. A lot of snail's pace creeping down the strip. Florida is not fun riding terrain for me and we did the Keys and back in 2 days while there (ouch).

I guess I'm glad I did it, but rest assured I'll never do it again.

Back
Top Bottom