Reg rectifiers | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Reg rectifiers

First off: In a "shunt" regulated system there is in fact "excess" current produced, which the regulator "shunts" to ground. It is how the system functions.

Current is voltage times amperage... so YEAH it is a current regulator. if it regulates the voltage, it regulates the amperage output too. Ohm's law.

... and someone said that the output of an alternator is not affected by the RPM of the system. That too is incorrect. More RPM = more magnets traveling past more windings =more power (to a point) simple physics.
...oh and a generator regulator is not the same as a alternator regulator. It's been a while, but the way I remember it a generator regulator works on amperage and lets the voltage follow... which is why we used to drive around with our headlights on all the time , to lower the voltage, so we wouldn't cook our batteries. Yeah I'm that old.

But please do keep it up. Cheap entertainment.

Yay! :cheers: somebody who totally get it.

Last edited:
Monty Python is awesome fun :D
love that one where the brits attacking the french castle

Sorry if this is a bit of a thread hijack. Mods feel free to move or delete.

I have a real Shindengen FH020AA. It’s still a shunt but it uses modern electronics so not something that was developed in the 60’s. I bought it for a GPZ550 but ended up using a SH847 so it’s brand new never installed.

My son is restoring a CB350 and the charging system is single phase, 2 wire, permanent magnets. Is it possible to use the FH020AA with it just by connecting up the 2 wires. It references doing it on the internet but I can’t find anything definite. It would be much better that the 1960’s separate RR components that came with it.

Thanks

You should be fine. I ran a FH012AA on an old CB350 race bike and the FH020 is the updated version. It won’t take as much power as if you were running it with 3 phase - so maybe only 400w/30amps but I don’t believe the Honda would get anywhere close to that. They use them on Ducati’s as an upgrade as most of them are/were single phase charging

As Bitzz said it’s still going to shunt off the excess but it will run a lot cooler and cleaner than 1960’s technology. It should even let you run a ballistic or shorai

Edit: the other guy that knows a lot about Shindengen is Jack Fleming over at Roadstercycle. He sells a ton of them. If you are still worried you may want to ping him. He’s a super nice guy

Last edited:
Thanks. I had a look at his site and he does seem very knowledgeable. He does specifically mention that its a good upgrade on single phase 2 wire systems. 50 year old electronics suck.

Well, anyone wanting to upgrade their R/R on a 2 wire single phase system the Shendengen FH020AA works perfectly. Just use 2 of the inputs. I'm now getting a consistent ~14.2 volts across the rev range. The hardest part was actually getting somewhere to mount its with good airflow as its a lot bigger than the original separate regulator and rectifier.

Its probably good enough to run a Shorai - I know these struggle when overcharged with old electrical components - and will be able to do an upgrade to either a Pamco or Charlies-Place ignition.

I bought both Shindengens for converting my FZRs to modern voltage regulators from Roadstercycle, 5 or 6 years ago at this point. Both have been working well, with lithium batteries in both. Good supplier.

I've got a small pile of stock (crappy) FZR voltage regulators, and I don't miss constantly having to check and refill the water level in the stock flooded lead acid batteries.

Well, anyone wanting to upgrade their R/R on a 2 wire single phase system the Shendengen FH020AA works perfectly. Just use 2 of the inputs. I'm now getting a consistent ~14.2 volts across the rev range. The hardest part was actually getting somewhere to mount its with good airflow as its a lot bigger than the original separate regulator and rectifier.

Its probably good enough to run a Shorai - I know these struggle when overcharged with old electrical components - and will be able to do an upgrade to either a Pamco or Charlies-Place ignition.

Right On!!! That's Perfect. I used the predecessor (the FH012AA) in a CB350 race bike for many years with an Antigravity 120CA and never even looked at it from season to season, and there were a lot of complaints about those batteries in older bikes. I suspect most caused by overcharging.

Its still a Shunt so it will push any access to the frame or battery ground as Bitzz pointed out, but Mosfet is 100% better than the old diode design, much cooler and cleaner.

I'm not sure if the Shindengen Series R/Rs' will work with on a single phase system. That could be an even better option.

^^^ +1 on Jack at Roadstercycle BTW. He sells the genuine article. It amazes me when you look on eBay or Amazon to see how many cheap Chinese knockoffs are being passed off as Shindengen. You can spot them a mile away.

Current is voltage times amperage... so YEAH it is a current regulator. if it regulates the voltage, it regulates the amperage output too. Ohm's law.

I gotta point out, because no one else did, that voltage is current times resistance. This is Ohm's law. Amperage is a measurement of current. Regulating voltage and current is only equivalent if the load is unchanging

I gotta point out, because no one else did, that voltage is current times resistance. This is Ohm's law. Amperage is a measurement of current. Regulating voltage and current is only equivalent if the load is unchanging

Thanks for catching that. Since the erroneous equation was stated on the internet it will be Google searched at some future point and used to further confuse the world.

Back
Top Bottom