Trailer recommendations | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trailer recommendations

easterncoyote

I am thinking of getting some kind of trailer to haul my Honda NC 750X to Vancouver with my Rav4. I don’t want to spend a lot of money. Anyone have any recommendations? Thank you.

Light open trailer of some sort. Other recent threads about trailers have given a number of places to look and things to look for.

The cheap Harbor Freight trailers (US source, you'll have to buy the kit in the USA and import it as parts and register as homebuilt) ... the flip side of "you get what you pay for", is "you don't get what you don't pay for". Flimsy ... small wheels ... flimsy axle ... generally you are on your own for figuring out some way of tying the bike down. Can they work, YES. Is it a well built quality piece, NO.

See what the various linked sources in the other threads have available in open utility trailers.

as in the other thread I'm going to recommned the Highland trailer 4x8 box trailer, ramp built in, made and sold in Cambridge, about $1200 gets you a brand new trailer with multiple tie down points , decent wheels and you can put other stuff your transporting in the trailer. You can sell it for close to cost when you get back.

I am thinking of getting some kind of trailer to haul my Honda NC 750X to Vancouver with my Rav4. I don’t want to spend a lot of money. Anyone have any recommendations? Thank you.
Uhaul. $15 per day.

Thanks! They look quite good, and not too expensive.

Ian

as in the other thread I'm going to recommned the Highland trailer 4x8 box trailer, ramp built in, made and sold in Cambridge, about $1200 gets you a brand new trailer with multiple tie down points , decent wheels and you can put other stuff your transporting in the trailer. You can sell it for close to cost when you get back.

Thanks Mike. That would be my preferred option, but they don't seem to offer the smaller trailers for one way moves (I'm planning on moving to B.C.)

Ian
Yes they do. You can get motorcycle trailers on one-ways for $15/day. I do it all the time -- I've dropped trailers in FL, GA, AB and CO in the last couple of years. It's the greatest deal on the planet!

Yes they do. You can get motorcycle trailers on one-ways for $15/day. I do it all the time -- I've dropped trailers in FL, GA, AB and CO in the last couple of years. It's the greatest deal on the planet!

Thanks Mike. That would be great if I can do that. When I put in my dates and Toronto to Vancouver, it lists none of the smaller trailers as being available. I will contact them.

You may need to pick up from a different location then. If the same as the Trenton area they are all over.

The U-Haul motorcycle trailers are indeed good, but for such a long trip...make sure you check it out very thoroughly before leaving their yard - a lot of U-Haul stuff isn't, uh, exactly maintained to perfection. Although they'll send a roadside truck to fix you up if something lets go enroute, it's still not a lot of fun potentially sitting on the side of a highway for hours waiting for them to show up.

Worn or weather cracked (the latter being the more likely scenario) tires are the biggest issue with a lot of U-Haul trailers. That, and electrical gremlins. Most of the new motorcycle trailers are well equipped with full LED lighting so they're pretty solid - some of their old trailers floating around still have crusty old incandescent lights with crusty old often problematic wiring.

All that said, don't let it scare you away from renting one, just do your due diligence at pickup.

If you were planning to buy a trailer anyways for use in the future, just buying something may be a better long term solution, however.

I rented a uhaul to carry 2 bikes south and the thing was solid but weighed a ton ( almost literally) and gave us horrible gas mileage. I would never rent another for a trip like that . It was the open box heavy goddamn thing. Just my 2 cents
Uhaul. $15 per day.

Their empty weight is 550#, listed on the Uhaul site.

Aerodynamic drag is usually the biggest issue however when it comes to any trailer, open trailers included. A trailer with a lot of wind drag can feel like a lead sled when in reality it's not. That can change from car to car as well depending on their shape, and how air moves around said car and onto the trailer.

The speed you choose to drive at while towing will also have the single handed biggest effect on your fuel economy. The difference between 100 and 120 can be ~30% more fuel usage, and it goes up exponentially from there.

This is the one we rented 1,000 lbs !!! Empty a slug i tell ya https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/5x8-Utility-Trailer-Rental/AO/
Their empty weight is 550#, listed on the Uhaul site.

Aerodynamic drag is usually the biggest issue however when it comes to any trailer, open trailers included. A trailer with a lot of wind drag can feel like a lead sled when in reality it's not. That can change from car to car as well depending on their shape, and how air moves around said car and onto the trailer.

The speed you choose to drive at while towing will also have the single handed biggest effect on your fuel economy. The difference between 100 and 120 can be ~30% more fuel usage, and it goes up exponentially from there.

Forget the trailers.
As soon as the weather is ok, I'll ride it out west for you. Buy me a 1 way flight home.

Back
Top Bottom