Return to stock or sell with mods | GTAMotorcycle.com

Return to stock or sell with mods

schnellschnell

Thinking about selling my bike in the spring, which has quite a few high dollar factory upgrades not normally available. Since this is my first motorcycle sale (normally trade in) I'm wondering if I should be returning to stock before selling and trying to sell the parts separately? I know the dealer could care less.

j

I'd leave a relatively low-budget mod like a tail tidy on it. But if you have an Akra full-system or a shock, take that off. You'll get more if you take things off and sell them separately but for some low-buck stuff it's not worth the effort.

Duke 690?

depends on the bike and what the mods are

To add to this are the mods cosmetic or performance based? Every cosmetic mod imo you should eat, unless you find a buyer with exactly your tastes. Performance I'd pay about half, of course depending on what it I'd, how long it's been in use etc.

Every bike I've ever bought was loaded with mods...and I paid little to more than a comparable bone stock bike.

My VTX came (for example) with a batwing, a full rider and pillion Ultimate Seat set, highway bars and pegs, upgraded grips...etc.

My wife's Vstar 1100 came with a Mustang seat set, highway bars and pegs, grips, batwing, and a ton of chrome farkles - even got the receipt for the chrome and it's install from a previous owner - $750 between the chrome and the dealer install.

Both bikes we paid basically the going "stock bike" rate for.

I know a fellow rider who had his for sale and removed the bigger aftermarket stuff - Ultimate Seat and Batwing. Sold the bike for the same money, got $500 for the seat set and $400 for the batwing after the fact.

Draw your own conclusions.

Original parts should go with the bike, especially if they are OEM parts that were put on there to make it street legal. I don't know about anyone else here but I do modifications and "upgrades" for my own enjoyment, not to inflate the resale value of a bike I no longer want to own.

I don't know about anyone else here but I do modifications and "upgrades" for my own enjoyment, not to inflate the resale value of a bike

Few (except the misinformed who actually think they'll recoup their money) do.

Mods and farkles rarely increase the value of a bike, with few exceptions. To the contrary, sometimes they can end up lowering the value of a bike if the mods end up being of questionable taste. This bike comes to mind....

350793d1388758287-one-can-never-have-too-many-lights-extra-lighting.jpg

Few (except the misinformed who actually think they'll recoup their money) do.

Mods and farkles rarely increase the value of a bike, with few exceptions. To the contrary, sometimes they can end up lowering the value of a bike if the mods end up being of questionable taste. This bike comes to mind....

350793d1388758287-one-can-never-have-too-many-lights-extra-lighting.jpg

That`s funny. Who would buy a bike like that? Who would even think about selling it. So much time and love has been put into it. I get your point though.

Pakistan?

Original parts should go with the bike, especially if they are OEM parts that were put on there to make it street legal. I don't know about anyone else here but I do modifications and "upgrades" for my own enjoyment, not to inflate the resale value of a bike I no longer want to own.

True, things like the upgraded seats / tank bag are not really considered. But I do have a special order full suspension for instance (forks / shocks) that was quite a whack of cash, and I kept the originals.

Generally I am not of the mind that you get back what you put into something like this, but the suspension for one was almost 20% of the bike price new and really did transform the bike. So if someone could care less that they are there, ... perhaps investing some time / money to take them off is warranted.

j

True, things like the upgraded seats / tank bag are not really considered. But I do have a special order full suspension for instance (forks / shocks) that was quite a whack of cash, and I kept the originals.

Generally I am not of the mind that you get back what you put into something like this, but the suspension for one was almost 20% of the bike price new and really did transform the bike. So if someone could care less that they are there, ... perhaps investing some time / money to take them off is warranted.

j

sport bike? ADV?

I would certainly take the suspension goodies off
return bike to stock, and sell separately
forum specific to the bike would be a good place to list

"look at me" stuff I wouldn't bother removing

but stuff that advances performance or functionality, yes

As lightcycle mentioned, yes, having a market for the aftermarket stuff you may want to remove and sell separately is important to consider before doing so, I agree.

There was aftermarket exhaust on my ‘83 Seca, but if I was selling that bike today, yeah, it’s going along with the bike, even if I had the originals. They could have those too. ;)

I am under the impression with cars and real estate that they are more salable when they look stock. The new owner doesn't get the feeling that it's someone else's property. I would assume the same for a bike.

Would performance mods make a new buyer think the bike was ridden hard?

Suspension bits on something like a 690 Duke are a tough call. It's not normally a bike bought by beginners, and there are certainly people out there who would value having upgraded suspension (I would). The labour involved in putting it back to stock can be significant ... a complete shock isn't much to swap out, but fork internals would be. It isn't a really common bike, but it's hardly rare, either ... they are out there.

Even if you take the suspension parts off and sell them separately, you would have to sell them at a discount from new anyhow, because they're used parts.

I'd be tempted to leave them on there and advertise the bike with a price towards the upper end of the usual range, and see if you get any nibbles. If someone shows up and tries to beat you up on the price, that's when you offer to take the suspension parts out of it.

I'd be tempted to leave them on there and advertise the bike with a price towards the upper end of the usual range, and see if you get any nibbles. If someone shows up and tries to beat you up on the price, that's when you offer to take the suspension parts out of it.

This is the approach I took as well. Ended up selling the bike for a premium and didn't have to put up with the hassle of taking the bike apart.

Back
Top Bottom