Chiang Mai, Thailand -- 13-20 December 2018 -- Thai Enduro Tours | GTAMotorcycle.com

Chiang Mai, Thailand -- 13-20 December 2018 -- Thai Enduro Tours

Craig66

Since it was postings here that inspired me to travel for my first enduro tour (in Nicaragua with Salvatore on tyrannical DT 175s) -- leading to life-long friends and glorious rides in Colorado, Utah, and Costa Rica -- I figured I'd post about my experience while nursing two sprained thumbs here in Chiang Mai.

I had my eye on Thai Enduro Tours (https://thaiendurotours.com) for several years. A friend had recommended Wolfgang, an Austrian native but many years in Thailand, as an organized, fun, and attentive host. That proved true from the first email exchanges. I had emailed Wolf about my experience level, and he matched me with a suitable group: experienced, cautious riders, aged 40-60ish.

The tours run six days, are oriented towards dirt riding, and roughly run a loop north of Chiang Mai. My route was Chiang Mai -- Doi Chang -- Fang -- Chiang Dao -- Pai (2 nights) -- and back. Since I took a bad spill on the first day, my days 2, 3, 4, and 6 were strictly on pavement. The one pic I managed to post is the road from Pai to Chiang Mai. These paved roads are absolutely delightful with hundreds of twisties. Though Wolf caters to the off-road adventurists (especially those from Austria and Germany where there is no access to off road trails), don't hesitate to request an exclusive tarmac experience. The roads are in excellent shape, and the rides spectacular. If you enjoy speed, then this is your ride -- my favourite day of riding was behind an experienced German rider, Lutz, a few years my senior, on the drive to Pai -- like watching an artist with his brush.

The bikes were CRF 250Ls with upgraded exhausts, snorkel kits, EJK Electonrics kits, the front sprockets with one less notch (13 from 14), and the back sprocket one more. The overall power was similar to my stock DRZ-SM 400 SM, but the lower end was significantly more responsive on Wolf's moded CRF. He doesn't have bigger bikes as far as I know, but has a KLX 150 available if needed (the preferred bike of the occasional female rider).

The hotels were all clean and the beds comfortable. Thai massages were available every night at a modest cost. A huge highlight for me was the food -- God, the food! I was introduced to more new tastes in the last seven days than in the last seven years. Wolf provided breakfast and lunch. We ate as a group each evening, always at a restaurant where Wolf knew the staff and the menu. Even if you knew Thai, and could navigate the menu (english is rarely spoken in the north), you need Wolf to let you know "this place has a great Burmese curry!"

Over half of Wolf's riders every years are return guests. I highly recommend the ride. I'll be going again.

I tried posting some pics but only managed to post one. I have some pictures on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/craig.penney.712) -- just friend me.

If you want more info, you can always contact Wolf through his site, or pm me. Cheers, Craig Penney

Attachments

• Pai to Chaig Mai.jpg
    Pai to Chaig Mai.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Did the Mae Hong Son Loop last year, awesome experience.

Planning to do the trip again in another year or two.

Currently in Zimbabwe (non riding trip) but looking forward to seeing your adventure when I get back!

Looks like something I'd enjoy. Thanks for the info.

northern Thailand has some of the best riding roads in the world, did a 3 day ride from Chiang Mai to the golden triangle about 6 years ago was an absolute blast

Riding here is fantastic. Little traffic in the mountains, no police, and twisties for days in every direction. You dont need a tour guide, just rent a bike bike and explore on your own.

Avoid Feb to April because the pollution is very high and its 45 degrees c every day. May - August is rainy season so expect showers. Sept - January is peak season because its less hot and not much rain.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom