Hyundai keyless start problem | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hyundai keyless start problem

nobbie48

Site Supporter
2014 Elantra GT and we've had about six no starts with the keyless ignition. I called Hyundai and get the "Bring it in and we'll see what we can do" response. There's no shortage of other people with the same problem and no short answer. Brake pedal sensor and transmission position sensors seem to be the main suspects. Not showing any diagnostic codes.

We've been lucky in that we eventually got it going with repeated re-tries and transmission fiddling but some day that might not work.

I'm not sure if it's under the five year warranty or not but the greater concern is being stranded somewhere. I can't find a definitive answer to the problem from Hyundai.

We're kind of due for a new vehicle and while Hyundai has a few that would work the present go-to choice would be a Honda CRV without keyless start.

Does anyone make a key start anymore?

Comments?

Last edited:
2014 Elantra GT and we've had about six no starts with the keyless ignition. I called Hyundai and get the "Bring it in and we'll see what we can do" response. There's no shortage of other people with the same problem and no short answer. Brake pedal sensor and transmission position sensors seem to be the main suspects. Not showing any diagnostic codes.

We've been lucky in that we eventually got it going with repeated re-tries and transmission fiddling but some day that might not work.

I'm not sure if it's under the five year warranty or not but the greater concern is being stranded somewhere. I can't find a definitive answer to the problem from Hyundai.

We're kind of due for a new vehicle and while Hyundai has a few that would work the present go-to choice would be a Honda CRV without keyless start.

Comments?

I think most of the manufacturers make key version for their models, but these days it's typically only in the base versions.

If it's brake and/or transmission sensors that are causing issues, shouldn't that carry over to keyed models as well?

I don't know of any non-prestige brand that is only keyless. As evoex said, the base models get keys and keyless gets added when you move up a package or two. It would be nice if they kept a keyed ignition in the keyless cars, but I've never seen one.

Have you checked the battery in the fob, and you don't have two fobs going at the same time?

Maybe you need an amplfier: https://www.wired.com/2016/03/study-finds-24-car-models-open-unlocking-ignition-hack/

Haha, if you keep your keys in the freezer every time you are home, you shouldn't have to worry about the remote attack for long as the repeated freeze/thaw/condensation cycles should quickly destroy your wireless key.

It was interesting they left out any discussion of key to booster range. Obviously it varies based on many factors, but are we talking inches, feet or 10's of feet? That makes a huge difference.

Friends lost their highlander with both keys in a metal can. Thieves must have had a system that worked without access to the keys (codes from the mothership or has Toyota protection been completely compromised???).

Last edited:
Maybe try pushing the start button with the fob. I know it sounds retarded, but that is in the owners manual for a low battery solution on my Kia.

I just came back from a business trip. My rental was a Camry with a good old fashioned key. Probably base model. I know it also didn't have the stupid looking "dracula's teeth" fake vents sticking down from the taillights.

Have you checked the battery in the fob, and you don't have two fobs going at the same time?

Maybe you need an amplfier: https://www.wired.com/2016/03/study-finds-24-car-models-open-unlocking-ignition-hack/

Both fobs had the same result and a new battery didn't help. Hyundai had the same instructions as Kia for pushing the start button with the dead fob. Kia and Hyundai are somehow related.

A mechanic friend came up with moving the shift while holding the brake and it worked suggesting a tranny sensor.

The biggest problem is the intermittent fault. If it ain't broke how do you know what to fix?

A mechanic friend came up with moving the shift while holding the brake and it worked suggesting a tranny sensor.
I had a tractor like that, have to pull the pto levers back or the safety switches don't activate, adjust the position of the switches, they are probably on the linkages and not inside the transmission. Step one would be to locate the switches, will probably become pretty obvious what has to be done.

....waiting for Sunny to show up in this thread and state that clearly, your ultimate solution, is to buy a Honda. :rolleyes:

....waiting for Sunny to show up in this thread and state that clearly, your ultimate solution, is to buy a Honda. :rolleyes:

Thinking about it. I'm not impressed by Hyundai's service response. I asked if it would be covered under warranty and was told it depended on what it was. So basically I drop off the car with my credit card and they go at it with no idea of what it's going to cost.

I understand intermittent faults and they can be time consuming, more so if the techie is learning at my expense. With the number of complaints one would think Hyundai would have a handle on the problem but not so.

Browsing the web there seems to be some reported problems with the inhibitor switch for Hyundai's around 2013-2015.

Found a video on youtube where it shows you can over-ride the keyless system, i can't grab the link as i'm at work today.

This issue is clearly covered under catch 22, your remote starter issues being of an intermittent nature are obviously related to sun spot induced radio interference.
:hiding:next customer please.

You don’t keep your keys in a pocket with an RFID blocking wallet by any chance do you?

Edit: scrap that, I saw where you pressed it against the ignition switch thing.

I sometimes have issues with mine if I have a ton of other stuff in my pocket.

Are there multiple fobs interfering with each other?

Wife has a 2017 Santa Fe 2.0... it has a key in the fob.

But where do you stick the key? AFAIK, almost all have a backup physical key, but I don't know of any with a keyed ignition. The physical key only opens a door.

Comments?

No need, he is already on the right track, everyone learns from their mistakes eventually.

Inhibitor switch is the common failure for that issue on your model. If shifting from park to neutral allows it to start consistently, that's 99% your issue. Will usually, but not always, set a P0705 error code.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom