Motorcycles may be allowed in HOV lanes? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycles may be allowed in HOV lanes?

My thoughts exactly as well.

The lady that was killed on the 401 this summer was this exact scenario. Yes, she wasn't riding in an HOV lane, but it was effectively the same thing - riding at high speed in the fast lane, car pulled out in front of her from the adjacent lane, the rest is history.

Missed this one i guess? Was traffic stopped or near stopped in the other lanes?

Honestly, i got taken out by someone turning left in front of me between 2 lanes of stopped traffic. Thankfully i had my head on a swivel and was going well below the limit or i might not have walked away like i did.

If you`re in a fast moving lane and you have slow or stopped traffic next to you, car or bike you need to realize the situation and act accordingly. Laws or not, speeding down the road in such a situation and expecting others to be aware of you is naive. You have a responsibility to yourself in such situations.

My thoughts exactly as well.

The lady that was killed on the 401 this summer was this exact scenario. Yes, she wasn't riding in an HOV lane, but it was effectively the same thing - riding at high speed in the fast lane, car pulled out in front of her from the adjacent lane, the rest is history.

You sure she wasn't riding in the HOV lane?
That part of the highway, in mid summer, at that time of day is usually jammed up and so the only lane moving at speed is the HOV lane.

You sure she wasn't riding in the HOV lane?
That part of the highway, in mid summer, at that time of day is usually jammed up and so the only lane moving at speed is the HOV lane.

There is video of the crash; I won't watch it, but this can be confirmed by those who did.

There is video of the crash; I won't watch it, but this can be confirmed by those who did.

Right, i did see this one after all. Stopped traffic in adjacent lanes and someone pulled out in front of her. Very tragic.

I recall this happened to me once in my cage years back. I was not being careful in lane moving very well and an Escalade in a stopped lane decided to ease into mine about 100ft ahead and i had to swerve and slam on the brakes. I was livid and stopped about 40ft past this guy and just stared in my mirror praying that he was going to get close enough where i could put him on blast. But he didn't come any closer until i started moving again, lucky for him.

Wow, I did not know you are allowed to ride in the HOV if you have a passenger.
;) Is not like they can require you to have 3 or 4 people on board.

;) Is not like they can require you to have 3 or 4 people on board.
Some HOV lanes I've seen, do require more than 2 passengers.

HOV's on the QEW. Woman in a mini-van pulled left in stopped traffic into the HOV lane. Motorcycle travelling at full speed in HOV rear-ended the van, died instantly. The bike was going too fast, did not anticipate some idiot pulling out like that. Still the van's fault, but you have to be aware of your surroundings and be prepared to react accordingly.

Some HOV lanes I've seen, do require more than 2 passengers.

Those are within the city of Toronto (i.e. on Don Mills Rd)...motorcycles are explicitly allowed:
capture1.jpg

HOV's on the QEW. Woman in a mini-van pulled left in stopped traffic into the HOV lane. Motorcycle travelling at full speed in HOV rear-ended the van, died instantly. The bike was going too fast, did not anticipate some idiot pulling out like that. Still the van's fault, but you have to be aware of your surroundings and be prepared to react accordingly.

https://youtu.be/WYUiaNih__c

Tragic and avoidable ��

Those are within the city of Toronto (i.e. on Don Mills Rd)...motorcycles are explicitly allowed:
capture1.jpg

Fun fact. Getting a ticket for mis-using these will not impact insurance.

lol you're preaching to the choir.
;) I think we should be allowed to ride Over stopped traffic if we can do it without inflicting too much damage.

Trials Commuting? Nice. It would certainly reduce traffic congestion AND encourage automakers to apply something more durable than the glorified milk paint currently in use.

lol you're preaching to the choir.
;) I think we should be allowed to ride Over stopped traffic if we can do it without inflicting too much damage.
Like this?
[video=youtube;So5ssbceqaI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So5ssbceqaI[/video]

Yep, that video. I guess I'd missed/forgot about the fact it was an HOV situation.

RIP rider.

I will agree that the accident could have been avoided with some more caution - I would have been in the other tire track to begin with anticipating the need to bail for the shoulder (you just have to EXPECT that some idiot is going to pull out into your lane, as happened) and I also wouldn't have been travelling at that kind of speed differential either, although I do understand that if you're in the wide open HOV lane you can't exactly just poke along, either...as someone will just try to go over you instead.

But it is a good example of what can and does happen when you get into a large speed differential situation. Extreme diligence is necessary when you're on 2 wheels.

Back
Top Bottom