more dirt, and ADV folks have turned off thumpers

you might be right as well

just thinking about the typical usage I've seen for a KLR
affordable ADV's, they are usually bagged up
rarely used as a DS bike
and great bikes, but that engine is dated

pretty sure we're gonna see a versys 650 X
same bike with spoked wheels, like Suzuki did with the Vee

hopefully we do see a lighter, more off pavement oriented bike as a KLR replacement

I was hoping for a refresh not a cancel, its so simple and trained donkey reliable. Well now we wait and see what Kawasaki is thinking.....

I was shocked as well when I saw the KLR 650 was discontinued. I always admired the bike for a straight forward bullet proof machine. Thought they might have updated it slightly, give it fuel injection, maybe some other little things to keep it on peoples minds.

I was shocked as well when I saw the KLR 650 was discontinued. I always admired the bike for a straight forward bullet proof machine. Thought they might have updated it slightly, give it fuel injection, maybe some other little things to keep it on peoples minds.
If I had to guess, I'd say tightening emissions regulations was the primary cause of the KLR 650's demise. It would be pretty hard to get that ancient engine to comply with current Euro emission standards, and if you're going to change engines, you may as well take an entirely fresh look at the overall design of the bike. You'd think slipping their existing 650 parallel twin into the KLR frame wouldn't be too hard, but maybe it was just time for a clean slate.

They are killing it because it outputs 6 times the CO emissions as the current designed comparable displacement models. With the current and impending rules for import of vehicles and required emission standards, that renders the model completely obsolete.

The KLR was built with two things in mind: 1) To be cheap. 2) To be cheap. That's why it lasted so long. Why upgrade the engineering when the owners will do it for you?

The Versys 300/650 are the new KLRs, I think. They might modify one of their MX bikes, like Honda did but that's probably about it.

God I hope not! I own a versys and used to own a klr. The versys is an excellent street bike, as a dual sport/adv bike it cant hold a candle to a klr. It would need some serious revision to be anymore than mildly capable on gravel.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

They are killing it because it outputs 6 times the CO emissions as the current designed comparable displacement models. With the current and impending rules for import of vehicles and required emission standards, that renders the model completely obsolete.

I think you're right. I heard that they're product line up can only emit so much CO and deleting the KLR could allow them at least two new bikes in the line up and still maintain their CO level.

My Dad also had one. He had a DR big at one time as well.

I do hope they will replace it with something similar

Back
Top Bottom