Question for RACE boys and girls on sprockets and chain length - 2008 R6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Question for RACE boys and girls on sprockets and chain length - 2008 R6

george_belafonte

Hi all,

I'm wondering about gearing for shannonville long track, on a 2008 R6. I currently have -1 +1 (15/46) and it seems a bit long. I don't dare going down to 1st gear at the hairpin before back straight (too much torque when reaccelerating), so in 2nd it's quite low rpm.

Also at the 6a/b left handers, I like to run in 3rd, but then the tighter turn 7 on the right I'm a bit low in RPM. I could do 2nd all the way but then coming out of 7 i'm very high and need to upshift right away, only to downshift again for turn 8 one second later.

I'm thinking a 15/47 configuration would be good. I could run 6a/b in 3rd gear and be a bit higher RPM, specially coming out of 7. And it would help with both hairpins before the front straight and back straight.

I bought a new chain and was going to cut for 116 links, but then with the 15/47 on, the chain is way too long to the point that the chain tensioner is too short to provide the leeway to pull the chain tight enough. And it's can't be 114 links, that's way too short.

So, I see that I either have to go 15/48 (-1+3), or do 16/48 (which a friend who races in the US advised me to do) and be longer so stay in 2nd gear in 6A/B and 7 (and just get better at taking the hairpins). So before ordering the sprocket and/or front sprocket I wanted to get everyone's opinion.

What's your gearing for Shannonville (and hopefully it applies to everywhere else, except maybe Mosport), and which gear are you running in 6A/B, 7, and the hairpins?

For reference, I ran 1'56" and 57" at my last track day this summer, so getting decent speed but I'm not a racer and still f****ng around.

Last edited:
Hello George,
I'm pretty sure I ran a 15/48 at the last round. I'll have to check my notes later. One thing with the R6 is that it prefers the axle as far back as possible

Hi all,

I'm wondering about gearing for shannonville long track, on a 2008 R6. I currently have -1 +1 (15/46) and it seems a bit long. I don't dare going down to 1st gear at the hairpin before back straight (too much torque when reaccelerating), so in 2nd it's quite low rpm.

Also at the 6a/b left handers, I like to run in 3rd, but then the tighter turn 7 on the right I'm a bit low in RPM. I could do 2nd all the way but then coming out of 7 i'm very high and need to upshift right away, only to downshift again for turn 8 one second later.

I'm thinking a 15/47 configuration would be good. I could run 6a/b in 3rd gear and be a bit higher RPM, specially coming out of 7. And it would help with both hairpins before the front straight and back straight.

I bought a new chain and was going to cut for 116 links, but then with the 15/47 on, the chain is way too long to the point that the chain tensioner is too short to provide the leeway to pull the chain tight enough. And it's can't be 114 links, that's way too short.

So, I see that I either have to go 15/48 (-1+3), or do 16/48 (which a friend who races in the US advised me to do) and be longer so stay in 2nd gear in 6A/B and 7 (and just get better at taking the hairpins). So before ordering the sprocket and/or front sprocket I wanted to get everyone's opinion.

What's your gearing for Shannonville (and hopefully it applies to everywhere else, except maybe Mosport), and which gear are you running in 6A/B, 7, and the hairpins?

For reference, I ran 1'56" and 57" at my last track day this summer, so getting decent speed but I'm not a racer and still f****ng around.

:D I'm going to design a chain tensioner guide for just that and sell it for ridiculous money.

Hello George,
I'm pretty sure I ran a 15/48 at the last round. I'll have to check my notes later. One thing with the R6 is that it prefers the axle as far back as possible

Alright thanks. I think it should be good.

You don't remember which gear you ran in turn 6A/B by any chance?

Alright thanks. I think it should be good.

You don't remember which gear you ran in turn 6A/B by any chance?

On a 2005 R6 15/48 I would carry 4th thru T5 and T6a/b and drop to 3rd for T7 to T9.

I wouldnt drop to 3rd for T6 as with that gearing you are up high rpm going into T6 with the rough asphalt I had some tough front end slides so I would carry 4th thru T6.

All at 1 53 to 1 55 long track.

On a 2005 R6 15/48 I would carry 4th thru T5 and T6a/b and drop to 3rd for T7 to T9.

I wouldnt drop to 3rd for T6 as with that gearing you are up high rpm going into T6 with the rough asphalt I had some tough front end slides so I would carry 4th thru T6.

All at 1 53 to 1 55 long track.
What he said!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom