Trailer talk with GVH | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trailer talk with GVH

its 30yr ago now, but i had a part time job driving a tow truck. I collected a LOT of trailer,truck,camper combos off the 401 between Milton and Campbellville. The inclines, off camber corners and the down/up by Kelso put a lot of rigs into speed wobbles and then the buckwheat.

Do you still have proper tongue weight with that much of the sled behind the trailer axle?

Improperly balanced trailers are very unstable. I know that sleds are heavier on the nose vs the tail but looking at the photo it looks to me like the engine would be barely (if at all) ahead of the axle - I'd still be scaling the tongue and making sure you have enough weight far enough forward to avoid any issues.

Just loaded up for a day-trip tomorrow and with the sled loaded as pictured there is almost 100lbs of tongue weight; I assume that's within the safe-range?

Just loaded up for a day-trip tomorrow and with the sled loaded as pictured there is almost 100lbs of tongue weight; I assume that's within the safe-range?

Depends on what the entire gross weight of the trailer (the load AND the trailer itself) is?

10% is what I'd consider the safe minimum. 15% is better.

So, if you figure the trailer is 1000# gross (again, the trailer itself PLUS the sled and anything else on there) then 100# would be the bare minimum tongue weight. If it weighs 1200# however, then you are too light on the tongue.

Back
Top Bottom