Trailer talk with GVH | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trailer talk with GVH

I came to the conclusion years ago that there are very few steel trailers on the market that won't rust no matter WHAT you do, or how well you take care of them. The problem is rooted in how they're made - the steel is just not prepped right for paint by most manufacturers. They look pretty when you buy them, but in 5 years, even with regular care, not so much.

For that matter, I've seen NOS steel trailers sitting on some dealers lots that showed rust despite the fact they've never been exposed to anything aside from rain water and temperature changes whilst sitting for a year or three.

I have built a trailer once and would buy one if i ever needed a new one again. The amount of time it takes just isnt worth it. Personally i would never get an aluminum trailer either I have yet to see one that has been used alot that isn't full of stress cracks. I can weld steel aluminum not so much.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I came to the conclusion years ago that there are very few steel trailers on the market that won't rust no matter WHAT you do, or how well you take care of them. The problem is rooted in how they're made - the steel is just not prepped right for paint by most manufacturers. They look pretty when you buy them, but in 5 years, even with regular care, not so much.

For that matter, I've seen NOS steel trailers sitting on some dealers lots that showed rust despite the fact they've never been exposed to anything aside from rain water and temperature changes whilst sitting for a year or three.

Lowe’s Burlington has a few angle iron steel trailers on the lot. They look nasty just from sitting.

This one seems nice. No tilt but some sort of ramps that sit underneath the trailer. Was asking $900 with no trailer size listed. Now $1100 with size listed. When I first asked the trailer and tire size email was “not sure”

Needs to be some sort of guideline for them. Trailer size, tire size, .... doesn’t seem like rocket science.

$_59.JPG

Not bad, it has some decent sized rubber (vs the fiddly sized trailer tires) going for it, axle is overslung on the springs so it doesn't ride crazy high despite the big rubber, and nice rims - those look like they may actually be aluminum, not even just alloys. If so, those will polish up to a mirror like surface with enough patience and time.

Look carefully at the tires - they're probably chinest ST tires (possibly Carlisle's) which are OK for that application, but if they're weather cracked or showing abnormal wear you're looking at a set of rubber right out of the gate - ST tires do not age well and typically age-out (weather cracking, etc) before wearing-out.

A few others I'm looking at. 4x9 sled trailer, 5x8 tilt $650 but North of Ottawa !!, Still looking and saving up for a nice one or do the custom thing.

$_59.JPG

$_59.JPG

Needs to be some sort of guideline for them. Trailer size, tire size, .... doesn’t seem like rocket science.

it's not
the axle manufacturer will will stipulate a GVWR
any changes to tires/rims from OEM will alter that

back out of the GVWR the weight of the trailer
and you have cargo net capacity

it's not
the axle manufacturer will will stipulate a GVWR
any changes to tires/rims from OEM will alter that

back out of the GVWR the weight of the trailer
and you have cargo net capacity

I was more bitching at the idiots selling trailers on Kijiji who do not put basic info in the adds.

as you have discovered , most dont know if its 1000, 2000 or 5000 lb axle, lots have had wheel / tire changes, and a you'll see some with a 1000lb coupler on a 3000 lb trailer.

you'll see examples in the spring, buddy has a 1000lb boat trailer with a 700lb boat motor combo, then he puts 5-600lbs of cottage gear into the boat and blows a bearing out. Looks of surprise all around.

then he puts 5-600lbs of cottage gear into the boat and blows a bearing out. Looks of surprise all around.

Bearings which were often never serviced from the day said trailer bought the trailer, including many trips into and out of the lake with the boat, etc.

Trailers (ESPECIALLY boat trailers) need way more attention than the average owner gives them.

Happens with RV's as well...come May two-four weekend, owners hookup to their camper that's been sitting for 6-7 months, don't even bother to check the tires pressures (much less check if half the lights are working, that's another story) and hit the road..and then get upset with a tire blows out, etc.

It's definitely not a great trailer, but mine has held up quite well. It's probably close to 15 years old now and has spent 1/3 of that time outside. It's a chalky pink colour but jo real rust. The lights and brackets have taken a beating while it is being moved around by hand and are now more tuck tape than plastic, but that's not HF's fault.

OK after much searching, trolling and beer drinking I finally went to a trailer shop in Stoney Creek for a proper quote on a flate 5x10, 3500 drop axle, 14 inch radial tires everything but tilt. No shop wanted to do tilt or not cheaply. Quote was much like the last estimate $1500-$1600. Then he showd me the one he had in stock. It has dirt in the powder coat. So $1395 for the 5x10 seen below. It's cheaper than my cost to buy all the steel, drop axle ... Let alone welding. How do you like my brand new trailer. Also who wants to buy a 4x7.8 Tilting trailer in a lovely red and black combo.

http://www.rushtrailers.com/

Ef3wou3.gif

IA04nmI.gif

Wise choice! Robert is quite the character isn't he? He's like the "Ted Rose" of trailers... wonder if those two have ever met lmao.

I had a blast listening to his stories when I picked up my trailer...

Great guy to talk to. Already talking about slide out ramps like on rental cube vans. Going to have to wait a bit or sell a bike or two. Installing my led light kit tomorrow. Also painting or coating the wood.

If you paint the wood boards, get a couple handfuls of sandblasting sand. Get used sand from Bob at the trailer place and stir it into the paint for the last coat, make your own non skid because it will be slippery as puppy poop and when your loading a bike your on your arse.

Thats a great trailer, now get spare ( because if you have it , you'll never need it) and a princess auto pot jack that will lift the trailer LOADED.

May need to take it to a empty parking lot to practice backing up. I will also need a proper hitch.

Uhaul installs hitches and wiring as cheap as anybody, the big store on barton in Hamilton is pretty decent.

Backing up is all on you LOL

Back
Top Bottom