Trailer talk with GVH | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trailer talk with GVH

GVH, take a look at Highland Trailer Sales in Cambridge, you can buy a brand new 4.5x10 or 5x10 , 14" wheels, 3500lb axle for $1325. brand new made in Cambridge. Made with modern wheels, nice bed, tailgate ramp or regular tailgate if you wish. You can also get a spare tire package that mounts out of the way.

I looked at Highland when researching trailers. Seems like good value for the money.

If you're planning to buy a trailer remember to include a tongue jack, spare tire with mount, a jack to lift the trailer to change the wheel and enough installed D rings or tie downs to enable you to properly secure the load you are carrying. Also include a few security items like a wheel chock and a tongue lock or chains to lock the wheels to the axle. Trailer thefts are a real problem and while these devices will not stop everyone they may encourage the grab and run guy to move on to easier prey.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0031XULF2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000OC3Q2I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought a 5x8 (it's actually 8'2" long) from Rush Trailers this past spring and would highly recommend them for anyone looking to buy as opposed to build:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cargo-utility-trailer/hamilton/utility-trailer-5x8/1404028928

Very inexpensive compared to others considering the build quality that goes into them. 3500lb drop axles, 14" wheels, etc (full specs listed in above link). Can custom make trailer to suit any requirement.

That's a nice trailer. What's the tare weight on yours?
I bought a 5x8 (it's actually 8'2" long) from Rush Trailers this past spring and would highly recommend them for anyone looking to buy as opposed to build:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cargo-utility-trailer/hamilton/utility-trailer-5x8/1404028928

Very inexpensive compared to others considering the build quality that goes into them. 3500lb drop axles, 14" wheels, etc (full specs listed in above link). Can custom make trailer to suit any requirement.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

What is the big selling feature for 5x10 over 4x8?

a few motorbikes are a touch more than 8ft once you put in a wheel chock that leaves you about 3 -4" back from the front panel, some snowmachines just fit better on a 10ft platform and I always seem to be helping somebodies kid get to college or back. The extra $200 purchase price over what I paid for a 4x8 would have been a wash. And I pull with an F150 so size is a non issue.

Found this one. Not local and not tilt but 5x10. It's a 5 year old Highland model. Already had repairs or beefing up on the tongue. The red tilting folding trailer is the style I want. Might just make a beefer version of this in a 5x10. Not folding.

$_59.JPG

19f1f83675d9d8597edf6221eb5b6e88--folding-utility-trailer-trailers-utility.jpg

I'd be curious why that tongue needed bracing. That would lead me to believe that the trailer was grossly overloaded at some point in it's past. Inspect it very, very carefully.

That second trailer you posted looks very similar to the Harbour Freight folding model. They have 2 different models, each with different capacities. Both are 4x8.

1195# rating, $349USD:
https://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lbs-capacity-48-in-x-96-in-heavy-duty-folding-trailer-62648.html

1720# rating, $449USD
https://www.harborfreight.com/1720-lbs-capacity-48-in-x-96-in-super-duty-folding-trailer-62647.html

The 1195# rating one (good for a single bike or 2 light ones) often go on sale for $199 if you watch their sale page.

I know lots of people make the run to Buffalo, buy one in the box, and bring it back unassembled. Technically you should be importing it as a vehicle (with all the hassles and such thereof) because of the fact they do come with a VIN, but reportedly lots of people have been able to just declare it as "trailer parts" at the border (since they are unassembled) and then build it here and register it as a homebuilt.

I'd be curious why that tongue needed bracing. That would lead me to believe that the trailer was grossly overloaded at some point in it's past. Inspect it very, very carefully.

That's what I was thinking. I have asked for more info on the repairs and pics of the underside frame and rails. I have had my SnowBear for about 20 years. Replaced the tongue and coupler once after loaning it to a buddy. Otherwise just rebuilt from age 5 years ago. Rotten wood, mice got the wiring and really old cracked tires. This trailer has taken the beating and abuse no problem. Never stored inside.

That Highland trailer was grossly overloaded at some point in its life, which would make one wonder if it was a one time thing, I'll bet not. I'd run away form that one.
The Harbour frt style is good for what it is. Cheap and cheerful, just don't put as much on it as its rated for and you should be fine.

That Highland trailer was grossly overloaded at some point in its life, which would make one wonder if it was a one time thing, I'll bet not. I'd run away form that one.
The Harbour frt style is good for what it is. Cheap and cheerful, just don't put as much on it as its rated for and you should be fine.

During fall cleanup this year, my poor harbour freight trailer was filled with brush and branches to ~7' tall. I have no idea what the pile weighed, but the suspension was flattened solid while parked on level ground. I only had to go ~10km and it actually towed quite nicely behind the golf.

For someone to bend a trailer, I think you need to get the distribution way off as well (eg 50% tongue weight). I'm not a big fan of the connection they had to reinforce though. Welded together tubing at the point of highest stress does not give me the warm fuzzies.

I would just keep my snow bear trailer. Other than folding pretty much the same trailer. I like the style of tongue and tilt. I would like to possibly use that as a guide for building a bigger version. Pricing out steel I'm only at $650 from metal Supermarket before discounts. 3500 lb axle $250. Tires $270 3 x 14 inch. Springs shackles about $200. So about $1400 for a 5x10 tilt heavier version of the harbor freight trailer. I even have a buyer for my SnowBear that would knock $600 off. We have an old stick welder at work and the boss can weld. I haven't welded anything since high school. Going to talk to the local trailer shop again.

That sounds like a reasonable way to go, if your boss can stick two pcs of metal together safely.

I built one specific to fit a sailboat, parts and steel and lights came in at $2000. , a rolling version of the same was $3495. so I was about 1500. ahead plus the taxes. Unless you count my time at which point the $3495. made sense......

Found this one. Not local and not tilt but 5x10. It's a 5 year old Highland model. Already had repairs or beefing up on the tongue. The red tilting folding trailer is the style I want. Might just make a beefer version of this in a 5x10. Not folding.

$_59.JPG

Just got a repy email. Says everythings fine he says. Seems it was a rust problem. Unless it's almost free no thanks.

Just got a repy email. Says everythings fine he says. Seems it was a rust problem. Unless it's almost free no thanks.

I started out with a $1,500 - $2,000 price range for what I thought I needed and would do my bike hauling, renovation hauling etc.......... over a 15 - 20 year period. But after some web research re corrosion and painted, powder-coated and galvanized steel vs. aluminum, then advantages of regular axles vs torsion EZ lube one, bifold ramps, wheel size, galvanized wheels and a spare vs. steel, storage box options, tongue jack, LED lighting etc......... + that it will be stored outdoors I decided to spend (invest??) significantly more. Time will tell, but I think over the long term the 6' x 10' aluminum trailer I bought will perform very well day to day and it certainly won't rust out on me.

I buy a lot of trailer repair parts and the parts are made in China cheap,
crazy enough is almost as cheap to buy a brand new rim and tire as just a tire and far more likely to be available off the shelf when you need one :|

Spring shackles, hangers and electric brakes, lights, jacks, bearings hubs, axles you name it they have everything you need at your local specialty shop because all that stuff wears out rusts out or fails. Big aluminum factories have an over the counter sales area. If you are clever with building stuff, I think you could bolt together a nice little trailer for 2 grand in parts and materials. imho You should maybe price that out first.

Yeah, if there was rust somewhere so serious that it compromised the structure of the trailer so badly that he felt the need to add bracing...I agree, run away screaming.

A steel trailer is just like a '70's car, if you dont fix small rust spots they become big spots. Dont let water pool in the bed and once a year or so, jack it up and brush paint the bottom.
Wash salt off the frame if your using it in winter, none of this seems beyond basic maintenence of any other product yet everybody hooks up, drives around, scratches their head when the bearings blow up or the lights don't light.

like your lawn mower, bicycle or BBQ, some basic work goes a long way.

A steel trailer is just like a '70's car, if you dont fix small rust spots they become big spots. Dont let water pool in the bed and once a year or so, jack it up and brush paint the bottom.
Wash salt off the frame if your using it in winter, none of this seems beyond basic maintenence of any other product yet everybody hooks up, drives around, scratches their head when the bearings blow up or the lights don't light.

like your lawn mower, bicycle or BBQ, some basic work goes a long way.

WOE WOE WOE. Next your going to tell me the jolly fat mans not real and that Nigerian prince isn,t send me loads of money for my investment. Trailers are magical vehicles that never need maintenance and never fail.

Back
Top Bottom