Trailer talk with GVH | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trailer talk with GVH

That sounds like a good trailer that will accomplish what the OP is looking for (but maybe not at the price he was hoping for). What was the ballpark price?

As part of the process I looked at the components used in the construction, build quality and anticipated long term durability of all aluminum vs powder coated steel. I did a comparative review and site visit of of 5 different vendors and Bremar had the best overall value. Not cheap .......... $3,800 + HST, but I think I have a top quality trailer that will last me many many years.

With that ramp flipped up, this won't be much easier than an enclosed on the tow vehicle. It looks like it is close to 5' tall. Otherwise, that one looks nice too. I wonder if they have a bifold aluminum ramp as an option.

My friends trailer has a similar ramp, when nothing is in the trailer, you have the option of the ramp laying on the floor of the trailer. certainly, the ramp does create some drag, but not nearly as much as a more solid one. When I was using my 4 cylinder G6 to pull it the fuel went from a read in of 9 to 11 with and without the trailer, with ramp up, and nothing in the trailer.

All good and true comments. One of the biggest problems is I'm cheap. I priced out the material cost on building a 58" x 108" flate deck single beam tongue trailer. Proper 2x2 3/16 tubing 3500 lb axle and 15" tires $900-$1000 before welding and paint. The Texas Bragg trailer below is what I want and would try to make. Most small tilt trailers including mine I see are singe beam tongue design. This kijiji one isn't bad still cheap angle iron and 2.5 hours one way to look at it. If it was $700 ish more tempting to try.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cargo-utili...er/1402339531?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

https://www.superior-trailer.com/2018-texas-bragg-5x10lb-tilt-0sEg|hP.html

2018_Texas_Bragg_5X10LB_Tilt_9Jl2tE.jpg

$_59.JPG

Quick search of kijiji 'double snowmobile trailer' found some nice ones,
at least one was for 450$ even has a nice spray shield thing.

;) they all tilt if you unhook it, just don't let the wheels roll.

Last edited:
My tow vehicle is a 2008 4 cyl ranger. No enclosed trailers for me. I want a 4x9 or possibly a 5x10 tilt as my ramp is only rated for 750 lb. I was looking at some HD bikes. Longer than my trailer and more weight than the ramps rated for.

look into all aluminium enclosed trailers, I towed a 5x8 enclosed with a VW GTI for a couple years, a 5x10 wouldn't weight much more

I tow a lot of trailers, my 2 cents, the ones with wide floatation style tire are horrible on slushy roads and hydroplane in a rainstorm. Trailers that 'tip' rely on a single pin set into a yoke, they often have a lot of play in the tongue as they age, which you don't want.
I wish my trailer had smaller tires said no one ever.
Stamped steel frames are ok when new, but they have a lifespan.
A 2,000lb axle doesnt mean you can carry 2,000lbs of payload, you already have the weight of the trailer.
If you decide you will never carry more than two bikes, fully loaded HDs (1400lbs?) or a washer dryer fridge stove (1500lbs) or enough framing for a deck (whatever that weighs) buy a trailer that will move with a margin of leeway, not bottomed out.

A trailer will never fail parked beside your garage, but it might 1000kms from home, and usually not in front of a princess auto during business hours.

I spoke with a local trailer repair fab shop. Building any 4x9 5x9 tilt would start at $1600 for a basic flate trailer. Using good square or rectangular thick walled tubing. Not a bad price. After explaining my reason for wanting to upgrade he suggested a minor mod for the current one. Adding a small V nose to the front of the trailer for the bikes front tire. Like some of the U-Haul trailers have. Get the extra foot needed. $200-$300. Then have a custom axles tube made to get the hubs out enough for 13 inch tires about $100 using all my current axles bits. Next I will talk to the local high school that has a shop class. See if they want to take on a trailer project. No rush but once the ideas in my head it bugs me.

On the axle rating front, spec the axle high for future / resale purposes...but consider spec'ing the springs for the load.

In other words, put a 3500# axle on it, but if all you're hauling is a single bike, consider putting lighter springs on it. Hauling a single 750# bike on a trailer with a 3500# axle and leafs will result in a bone jarring ride for the bike.

Lighter springs will result in a smoother riding trailer.

And leaf springs are easy to change if you need the higher capacity, or decide to sell the trailer some day and need to up it to it's actual capacity.

Going to try to see this trailer on Saturday. Recently rebuilt, Tilts 5x9.8 currently 5000 lb axle. Only concern is the old style wheel / rims. My need to put some new hubs on. Shouldn't be hard to put stake pockets and sides for doing mulch or other stuff.

8EZWmqr.gif

Holy moly...those look like Dayton style rims/hubs from that photo - those would have only been used in pre 80's trailers, and only heavy duty stuff at that. I wouldn't automatically expect to be able to find new Budd style hubs for that axle, it's probably quite vintage. Check it out and make sure it's not soooo vintage that it's actually split rim or something.

I bet you'll find that thing is a lead sled weight-wise...but ultimately, if it's solid and can be prettied up with some TLC, and the price is right....

Going to try to see this trailer on Saturday. Recently rebuilt, Tilts 5x9.8 currently 5000 lb axle. Only concern is the old style wheel / rims. My need to put some new hubs on. Shouldn't be hard to put stake pockets and sides for doing mulch or other stuff.

8EZWmqr.gif

Did you want to move motorcycles or are you starting a paving company?

Yes, with that axle and weight rating expect it to bounce wildly with one (even 2 likely) bikes on it. There’s just going to be little to no suspension articulation. See my earlier response on that.

I have to agree with both above. Seller said he was building it for scissor lifts but bought a truck instead. The pick I posted is how it currently sits.needs finishing. Might still go see the ugly wide tired 4x10 in Welland on Monday as it’s only 10 km from the bikes location.

I just recently got a great deal on a used Kendon trailer, I can never go back to anything else. Paid 1200 for one that fits two bikes but they are so damn expensive, new are 3500 and used nothing under 2k.

This is the trailer on their website. I don't have that fancy ramp. Just a smaller one

Sent from my BBD100-2 using Tapatalk
a3abe64fcbeac74d9d5b63b15d5f86cc.jpg

Last edited:
GVH, take a look at Highland Trailer Sales in Cambridge, you can buy a brand new 4.5x10 or 5x10 , 14" wheels, 3500lb axle for $1325. brand new made in Cambridge. Made with modern wheels, nice bed, tailgate ramp or regular tailgate if you wish. You can also get a spare tire package that mounts out of the way.
They have all the lights to meet spec, I own a 4x8 made by them, its been very good in the 8,000kms its travelled.
Shop owner likes motorcycles, they can also modify to any feature you may think you want.

I like trailers that do more than one job, while the 4x8 has been very good, I wish I bought a 5x10. The 4x8 is actually 49x98 so drywall and plywood ect fits inside.

I like trailers that do more than one job, while the 4x8 has been very good, I wish I bought a 5x10. The 4x8 is actually 49x98 so drywall and plywood ect fits inside.

What is the big selling feature for 5x10 over 4x8?

Back
Top Bottom