Riding the twisties after attending race school | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding the twisties after attending race school

Every road has its own "Speed Limit". More twisty means speed is limited to lower numbers. There is no way you can lean your bike without risking of getting caught speeding. I don't think riding 10-20% over the speed limit needs any racing skill! Of course getting training in track could be really fun.

Every road has its own "Speed Limit". More twisty means speed is limited to lower numbers. There is no way you can lean your bike without risking of getting caught speeding. I don't think riding 10-20% over the speed limit needs any racing skill! Of course getting training in track could be really fun.

30km/h rated ramps.

Technically speed limit is hwy entry speed. There are a few ramps with run off (16th and 404) if you want safely be a ding dong.

We don't really have any twisties here tho sadly. BC is a different story, there are some real nice roads there.

The local constabulary in the great US of A have no sence of humor when it comes to
Exceding the speed limit.....

I have actually found that I am much more of a tame rider on the streets after completing FAST Race school Phases 1,2,3,&4. Could almost say I'm more "alert" now?
Before the race school I found myself riding the twisties harder than I am now. After riding track I realized how much focus and concentration it takes to ride hard in the perfect environment. Now, heading back onto the streets I need to realize the road is half the width of a track, there is traffic, gravel, sand, etc.
I thought I would be tearing through the twisties and getting my knee down like I was on the track, but I am doing the opposite. I am enjoying myself with confidence on the streets, but save the really aggressive riding for the track.
Just bought a 2008 R6 Track ready bike off my cousins best friend (known him for 25 years) that gave up track for $2600. Tossed me a 1 piece RST (luckily it fits like a glove), 4 spare tires (3 rear 1 front), tire warmers, a generator, and a tent for $1000. All in all, great purchase for $3600 all in.
Couldn't be more excited for next season :)

Last edited:
I have actually found that I am much more of a tame rider on the streets after completing FAST Race school Phases 1,2,3,&4. Could almost say I'm more "alert" now?
Before the race school I found myself riding the twisties harder than I am now. After riding track I realized how much focus and concentration it takes to ride hard in the perfect environment. Now, heading back onto the streets I need to realize the road is half the width of a track, there is traffic, gravel, sand, etc.
I thought I would be tearing through the twisties and getting my knee down like I was on the track, but I am doing the opposite. I am enjoying myself with confidence on the streets, but save the really aggressive riding for the track.
Just bought a 2008 R6 Track ready bike off my cousins best friend (known him for 25 years) that gave up track for $2600. Tossed me a 1 piece RST (luckily it fits like a glove), 4 spare tires (3 rear 1 front), tire warmers, a generator, and a tent for $1000. All in all, great purchase for $3600 all in.

Woo-hoo! That's an awesome deal! If the exhaust/ECU isn't tuned yet shoot me a pm and I'll help you out with a few things! You should get signed up for some track days at GBM; it's a great place to ride!

If you're really looking to improve your real world riding skills then attending this: http://www.sharpridermotorcycletraining.com/ would be much more beneficial to you than a racing school. Sharp Rider = real world bike handling and emergency skills, racing school = learn to go fast around corners. Given that there is only so fast you can go on the street before Johnny Law tells you you're having too much fun, you'll get a lot more out of a skills course vs racing school.

I keep forgetting Total Control is a thing here now

How did you find it?
I'm planning on taking them but don't like the fact that the first two levels are on a different circuit (Nelson something) as opposed to using Shannonville from the get get-go but would appreciate your (and anyone else) insights into the whole experience. I'm initially thinking of doing levels 1&2 in one go, then 3&4 in another.

How did you find it?
I'm planning on taking them but don't like the fact that the first two levels are on a different circuit (Nelson something) as opposed to using Shannonville from the get get-go but would appreciate your (and anyone else) insights into the whole experience. I'm initially thinking of doing levels 1&2 in one go, then 3&4 in another.

Nelson and Fabi are two tracks at shannonville, put together its long track, there is also pro track. So four track configurations at shanny.

Phase 1 and 2 are done on Nelson which is a very fun and technical little track so that you can learn the basics.

Phase 3 is done on the pro track which is longer and much faster.

Nelson and Fabi are two tracks at shannonville, put together its long track, there is also pro track. So four track configurations at shanny.

Phase 1 and 2 are done on Nelson which is a very fun and technical little track so that you can learn the basics.

Phase 3 is done on the pro track which is longer and much faster.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Same here. I did the Racer5 intro program and all three endurance races and I'm a much tamer rider on the streets as a result. I even decided that I wouldn't purchase another high powered bike for the street again after the last endurance race. On the other hand, I can't wait to get out on track again to learn more and improve. I'll likely do FAST Phases 1, 2 and 3 this year as well as Racer5 endurance races. I suppose I ride street now to enjoy being out riding, and ride track to learn, improve and push my limits in a safe environment - not to mention, with a community of amazing individuals that have been nothing short of encouraging, supportive and always willing to lend a hand.

After attending race school, I think the street riding skill that improved the most for me was braking. I feel a lot more confident and in control under heavy braking and towards then end of the season worked on getting comfortable with trail braking.

Same here. I did the Racer5 intro program and all three endurance races and I'm a much tamer rider on the streets as a result. I even decided that I wouldn't purchase another high powered bike for the street again after the last endurance race. On the other hand, I can't wait to get out on track again to learn more and improve. I'll likely do FAST Phases 1, 2 and 3 this year as well as Racer5 endurance races. I suppose I ride street now to enjoy being out riding, and ride track to learn, improve and push my limits in a safe environment - not to mention, with a community of amazing individuals that have been nothing short of encouraging, supportive and always willing to lend a hand.

After attending race school, I think the street riding skill that improved the most for me was braking. I feel a lot more confident and in control under heavy braking and towards then end of the season worked on getting comfortable with trail braking.

What do you mean all THREE endurance races?? Did you rent their SS bikes as well?

What do you mean all THREE endurance races?? Did you rent their SS bikes as well?

Sorry my mistake - I should have said all three race weekends / six race days.

I haven't rented their SS bikes yet. I did two days on the 125s and four days on the 250s. I feel like there's still lots for me to work on in the 250cc - 500cc range before stepping up to SS (and paying the extra $$$ of course). I'll likely opt for either the Ninja 400 or SV650 when I sign up for FAST 1,2,3.

Sorry my mistake - I should have said all three race weekends / six race days.

I haven't rented their SS bikes yet. I did two days on the 125s and four days on the 250s. I feel like there's still lots for me to work on in the 250cc - 500cc range before stepping up to SS (and paying the extra $$$ of course). I'll likely opt for either the Ninja 400 or SV650 when I sign up for FAST 1,2,3.

The Ninja 400 would be a perfect bike for the Nelson Circuit in Phases 1&2. I found the 600 to be a bit overboard for how small the track is. There isn't too much room to really crack it open other than the stretch going into turn 1 and turn 2. Also keep in mind that the 600s at FAST are tuned down. I rode a 2017zx6r and the throttle twisted about 3/4 wide open in comparison to my 2009 zx6r. The bike also felt like it lacked power in comparison to mine. I think they do this because I'd imagine alot of people rent the 600cc bikes and have never been on one before.

The Ninja 400 would be a perfect bike for the Nelson Circuit in Phases 1&2. I found the 600 to be a bit overboard for how small the track is. There isn't too much room to really crack it open other than the stretch going into turn 1 and turn 2. Also keep in mind that the 600s at FAST are tuned down. I rode a 2017zx6r and the throttle twisted about 3/4 wide open in comparison to my 2009 zx6r. The bike also felt like it lacked power in comparison to mine. I think they do this because I'd imagine alot of people rent the 600cc bikes and have never been on one before.

Thanks for the feedback, that's good info for a first-timer at FAST!

i lost the desire to ride the local twisties after riding the track a few times

Your riding confidence and speed will improve from getting track experience, but that experience is artificial. A dry track is clean and a controlled environment. The danger in testing your limits with track riding experience is getting over-confident and approaching real-world twisties more aggressively. And which does not account for unanticipated wet leaves, gravel and other debris, or not seeing obstacles around the bend (out-riding your field of vision).

Back
Top Bottom