Riding after hip replacement | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding after hip replacement

timtune

Site Supporter
Looks like I'm getting a new hip in April May. Dr says I will be able to ride and sled but must be cautious of high impact on the hip. Now I'm wondering if that means giving up the dual sport riding?

Anyone else riding dirt with a fake hip?

Looks like I'm getting a new hip in April May. Dr says I will be able to ride and sled but must be cautious of high impact on the hip. Now I'm wondering if that means giving up the dual sport riding?
Anyone else riding dirt with a fake hip?

My right hip is on the way out and I ride a KLR. Getting on and off can be a PITA, so I bought a centrestand kit. That makes life a lot easier.

Friend of mine has had both hips done in the past few years.This pic was taken recently.
Jamie_zpssi5lnusb.jpg

would assume that mounting and dismounting would be the large initial problem
and DS bikes tend to be on the tall side

as for the impact part, yes, GTAM medical dept. agrees with your doctor
having gone through a serious foot injury and 2 surgeries
full rehab will be 12-18 months until that system can be fully stressed

a Burgman or cruiser with low seat height might be your friend(s) for one season

Is that a McGregor on a TRS?

Recognized him from his riding style.

... and the nearly flat rear tire.

My wife gave up her sport bike because to much stress mounting. She had right hip replaced a couple years ago.

I'm currently riding a KLR with no problems except I get on and off by throwing my leg up over the tank instead of out back.

I sold the wing a couple summers ago. It was just too wide. Dr say 6 weeks of rehab & I can ride again. I'm hoping to have another wing or similar touring bike before the end of next summer.

I'm just curious about the jarring my hips would get when riding things like whoops - that should be the knees taking up the slack. And of course all the unscheduled get offs.

a Burgman or cruiser with low seat height might be your friend(s) for one season

On smooth pavement ...Burgman suspension is not friendly to rough pavement. The bike handles fine....just not a soft ride.

Pre 2019 CB500x is lowish and comfie suspension

That's the nice thing with the ADV bikes ...smooth ride with the long suspension but tall as a result.

Lowering and some boot choice will help.

I'd not be going off pavement with a new hip for a while....not worth the risk.

Something like a Scarver is low, soft suspension and light.

The one and only.You know Jamie?
Yes. Although I doubt he'd remember my name. I used to follow him and Clint Macbride and a few others through the trails way back when I was barely a teen. They were really good about including me lol.
I remember watching him ride a trials demo at the Civic center in Brantford, and a competition in St George at one time.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Yes. Although I doubt he'd remember my name. I used to follow him and Clint Macbride and a few others through the trails way back when I was barely a teen. They were really good about including me lol.
I remember watching him ride a trials demo at the Civic center in Brantford, and a competition in St George at one time.

You should follow his bicycle thing too.He has an awesome collection.The show in Brantford is really great.http://www.canadianvintagebicycleshow.com/

I had a combined hardware removal from my right hip and hip joint replacement three years ago. The result was amazing. Be sure to do all the rehab exercises and you'll be able to resume most everything you used to do and enjoy.

Thanks for that, it looks pretty cool. I was drawn to Jamie as a young guy, he was always so outgoing and fun to be around. Great guy.

Bionic upgrades ;) he'll probably ride even better.

:D all trials riders are supportive outgoing and fun to be around, that's what makes the events so successful!

Had mine done about 10 years ago. Pain before hand was excruciating.10 out of 10. On a few occasions had to drop the bike, Was on sports bike so I was on my toes. Picked the Diavel as it had the power and no more pain after the operation. Much lower.
Restrictions are, no more running because of the impact. Also no more moguls. Get my cardio on the treadmill with an incline whilst lifting weights at the same time. Was back into working out 3 months later.
OP. If you need anymore information, please feel free to send me a message.

Had mine done about 10 years ago. Pain before hand was excruciating.10 out of 10. On a few occasions had to drop the bike, Was on sports bike so I was on my toes. Picked the Diavel as it had the power and no more pain after the operation. Much lower.
Restrictions are, no more running because of the impact. Also no more moguls. Get my cardio on the treadmill with an incline whilst lifting weights at the same time. Was back into working out 3 months later.
OP. If you need anymore information, please feel free to send me a message.
What is Diavel?

Back
Top Bottom