Would you fire your boss?

Thread: Would you fire your boss?

Would you fire your boss?

Forum Sponsor
    He /she hires you because you have an A-1 rating in your field and your expertise is needed. You lay out what needs to be done and your recommendations are ignored. You say parallel and they go perpendicular. The job goes crap and your name is on it.

Re: Would you fire your boss?

Yup. Can and did (a few times actually). If I feel like I am often fighting internally rather than the entire team fighting against external forces, it's no longer worth my effort and it's time to move on.

In my cases, it didn't immediately result in financial reward, but it increased happiness significantly (and ensured my reputation didn't follow the companies).

On the downside, you can't control the narrative after you are out. I have a strong suspicion that clients were told that the problem with their projects lied with me (even though it was from above). It's an easy approach for the company to take.
    Last edited by GreyGhost; 11-30-2018 at 11:45 AM.

It does sound like a bad boss. But maybe not for the reasons you are stating.

The thing with being an Individual Contributor as opposed to a team leader or manager is that you are often shielded from the larger picture. Issues outside of your purview, like the internal politics and direction of your own organization, customer requirements that are not part of your immediate scope, etc. may take the project in a different direction that what your recommendations are given your narrow focus.

However, employee retention is part of being a good manager, and if your boss can't communicate to you satisfactorily why they went contrary to your recommendations, it may indicate a failing on their part.

Or perhaps a stubbornness on your part not to take into account other pressures your boss might be facing.

Quote Originally Posted by nobbie48 View Post
    He /she hires you because you have an A-1 rating in your field and your expertise is needed. You lay out what needs to be done and your recommendations are ignored. You say parallel and they go perpendicular. The job goes crap and your name is on it.
    Am a software developer.

4 years ago, not even graduated yet, I told my CTO and manager at the time that they had made a horrible tech choice as there were obvious signs Microsoft would drop support. 1 year later, Microsoft dropped support. The results of these mistakes, which need to be fixed, are now mine.

4 years ago, again, I created a prototype/proof-of-concept to automate something that would cost the company $100k/y. I also specifically told them to not use the prototype in production as it wasn't structurally sound or meant to be extended. I go back to school, come back 8 months later, and see that some moron had taken my POCs and extended them without changing the foundations. Every one of these extensions are now broken. And of course, I have to fix this now.

3 years ago, I tried to get the stakeholders to meet with each other with me as the mediator because their requirements were literally clashing. They did, but never took my questions seriously probably because I'm young looking and not white (every upper management dude is white here.) Well, now they're fighting amongst each other because the system I created is based on their clashing suggestions and I had to interpret a bunch of **** via crystal ball. The worst part about this is that I actually understand every department's role very well, and even the ****ing president doesn't based on my conversations with him.

Forget my boss, I would never work with this company in the future. I would even urge my future employers to run if we need to work with them. Only reason why I'm here is because, frankly, everyone is too technologically retarded to realize I've automated most of my job so I sit around in the stairwell playing the Nintendo Switch frequently.
    There is nothing outside of yourself that can ever enable you to get better, richer, stronger, or smarter. Everything is within. Everything exists. Seek nothing outside of yourself.
    ----------------------------------

I like this story (1 post above) and can somewhat relate

Already did!!! Been separated going on 5 years !!!!!

Nope , I used to do his job

Iíve gone from a manager of people to an employee and rarely find it difficult to manage my manager and make my life fairly easy.

I can identify with the challenges they have and have an empathetic ear. I also understand what they are looking for from me and know it may not be the same as what I think I should be doing.

Some bosses are complete ***** and found they rarely stay where they are. Itís also a small world so, as a rule, I donít call them out publicly as I may end up working with them in some way or another.

If I get caught in something Iíve said about them, I can generally state something positive about their knowledge or experience and in the same breath state they are not a good manager of people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owner rides. Owner's right hand man rides. Immediate boss rides. If I called in Monday and said I crashed my bike the first question would be "Is the bike OK?".
    "Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a big enough boat that you can sail right up next to it" - David Lee Roth

Quote Originally Posted by 油井緋色 View Post
    Am a software developer.

4 years ago, not even graduated yet, I told my CTO and manager at the time that they had made a horrible tech choice as there were obvious signs Microsoft would drop support. 1 year later, Microsoft dropped support. The results of these mistakes, which need to be fixed, are now mine.

4 years ago, again, I created a prototype/proof-of-concept to automate something that would cost the company $100k/y. I also specifically told them to not use the prototype in production as it wasn't structurally sound or meant to be extended. I go back to school, come back 8 months later, and see that some moron had taken my POCs and extended them without changing the foundations. Every one of these extensions are now broken. And of course, I have to fix this now.

3 years ago, I tried to get the stakeholders to meet with each other with me as the mediator because their requirements were literally clashing. They did, but never took my questions seriously probably because I'm young looking and not white (every upper management dude is white here.) Well, now they're fighting amongst each other because the system I created is based on their clashing suggestions and I had to interpret a bunch of **** via crystal ball. The worst part about this is that I actually understand every department's role very well, and even the ****ing president doesn't based on my conversations with him.

Forget my boss, I would never work with this company in the future. I would even urge my future employers to run if we need to work with them. Only reason why I'm here is because, frankly, everyone is too technologically retarded to realize I've automated most of my job so I sit around in the stairwell playing the Nintendo Switch frequently.
    sounds like you need to be self employed

Quote Originally Posted by FullMotoJacket View Post
    "Is the bike OK?".
    Been there,got the t-shirt. (thanks Caboose56)
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

2009 Ducati MTS 1100S
    2011 Ossa TR280i
    1976 Yamaha TY175

Quote Originally Posted by nakkers View Post
    I’ve gone from a manager of people to an employee and rarely find it difficult to manage my manager and make my life fairly easy.

I can identify with the challenges they have and have an empathetic ear. I also understand what they are looking for from me and know it may not be the same as what I think I should be doing.

Some bosses are complete ***** and found they rarely stay where they are. It’s also a small world so, as a rule, I don’t call them out publicly as I may end up working with them in some way or another.

If I get caught in something I’ve said about them, I can generally state something positive about their knowledge or experience and in the same breath state they are not a good manager of people.

Methinks you might work at a bank?
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Present: FJR 1300, DL650XT XV920R, GL1000, TR25W
    Past: GSXR1300, M50, EX250R, GL1500, XV250, TS200R, TW200, XV1100, CB750SS, H2 MIV, Rupp Roadster, MX125, MX250, DT400

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mike View Post
    Methinks you might work at a bank?
    Yes and same experience at an insurance company too.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaFan View Post
    sounds like you need to be self employed
    ...........this is actually the best advice I've ever been given.

Thank you lol
    There is nothing outside of yourself that can ever enable you to get better, richer, stronger, or smarter. Everything is within. Everything exists. Seek nothing outside of yourself.
    ----------------------------------