Which Bike should I buy??? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Which Bike should I buy???

Hi guys, in need of advice. I am 25 years old (26 next august). Owned a ninja 250 for 1 year at 21 and was insured for 1 year, then sold the bike and have not rode since. Have a clean record and am looking to get into either a ninja 300, cbr650f(what im leaning towards most), some rare 250cc-550cc jap grey market bike (nsr250). This is what I have thought of so far, does anyone have any recommendations? I dont want to get into a 600 or something killer fast. TIA

You didn't mention when and where you planning on riding. Are you commuting? If so, how far?
Are you interested in longer trips?

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Haven't ridden for around 4 years? Nothing wrong with going with a 300 or the cbr650f(possibly the better choice). You're almost starting over. Wrenching might be fun, but having a reliable ride when you want to ride is a better idea. Save the rare one as a 2nd ride... when it works.

Why would you be looking at such a small bike again? You've done your time on a small bike. And rare...can you wrench? If not, stay away! Some good deals can be had on these:

2018 Suzuki GSX-S750 ABS ABS,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes...ampaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

Price: $*8,899

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Maybe because some people prefer small bikes. If I did the majority of my riding in the city, me and my 45 years of riding and racing motorcycles would be riding a "small bike" but probably a dual sport. i live in the country, and my next bike is a 400cc.

... and while a FZR250 or 400 does require more maintenance than a CB300 or small Ninja, the maintenance on a FZR repli-racer is about the same a GSXR600 repli-racer... so I don't see your point.

I'd get something small with abs.

The gixxer era is long over. All the cool kids switched to Yamaha ha ha, and are now moving on to Ducs.

Honda is as boring as ever unless you have the same initials as Mickey Mouse.

I don't want to be a downer....but have you checked out insurance on the bikes you are looking at?

The new 2019 Cbr500r looks pretty sharp and won't be too bad on insurance. The ninja 400 would be a good choice too. Maybe a leftover 2018 model.

I would look into a used Suzuki SV650 (lots of them have road rash though). It has a more grunt than a 300 and enough power to make you grin. I've rode one before and liked it alot...could see it being great for commuting, city riding, and hwy riding :)
They seem to be quite reliable. Parts will also be affordable and available. You also have the choice of getting one with fairings or naked.
Insurance shouldn't be too bad either.
Here is a rough idea what you would be looking at in terms of price for used.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes...0s/1399270902?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touri...ic/1396832698?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Last edited:
KTM RC390 :agave:

Lil duke is a very fun bike.
My brother has one and he's probably going to sell it next year if you're interested. He's moving to Germany.

Before you go getting psyched about a bike that is 500cc+ check the insurance rates. More than a few companies will jack up your rates if you've had a gap in insurance. Some companies have a policy that if you've had a gap of 5yrs or more they treat you as a new rider regardless of how long you've had your license. If that is the case, you'll still pay through the nose even if you're going on 26yrs old.

Nothing wrong with getting back out on a smaller bike for a season or two. There is a world of difference between the Ninja 250 you had and a modern 300cc. If I were riding in the city with some trips out to the country I'd give a serious look at the CB300F or R. The upright ergos would be much more comfortable in traffic and for soaking up potholes. If the difference between a 300cc and a 400cc for insurance isn't too bad, consider the new Z400 (if your budget allows). Again, the more upright ergos are so much more comfortable and you still get the same kind of handling out of it. Plus, no expensive plastics if you tip over and less attention from Johnny-Law because you don't look like a little racer boy.

OP....do you know what an NSR250 is?

not remotely in same ballpark as the other bikes you mention

it's a hell of a bike, but not an everyday rider

have a look at FZ6

OP....do you know what an NSR250 is?

not remotely in same ballpark as the other bikes you mention

it's a hell of a bike, but not an everyday rider

have a look at FZR250

There fixed that for ya.

Yeah, stay away from grey market Hondas. Too hard to get parts. Stick with Yamahas and Suzukis.

Cool bike though. Not like the others but Hella fun to commute to work
0c19784a77270e4438493d560a969953.jpg

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom