How do you pay back $8.1 million | GTAMotorcycle.com

How do you pay back $8.1 million

I thought the same thing. The moral hazard here (to make enough money he probably needs to let things through at the border) is huge. Even a 100K fine and public service message seemed steep enough to discourage others from being so stupid.

As far as I saw, nobody got hurt it was just property damage. The penalty seems out of line with penalties for other offences.

Also, they talk about how they appreciated him immediately calling emergency services and admitting blame. This discourages people from cooperating. How much worse would he have gotten if he didn't admit fault? A few years in jail an minimal fine? That seems preferable to me than an 8+ million dollar fine.

Last edited:
You don't, but you do serve as an example to others to not do stupid ****.

It seems likely that there was an undisclosed settlement and that he is making payments on a much lower amount. Otherwise the lawyers on both sides would be stupid

Yeah, you don't.
You live the rest of your life with a federal wage garnishee taking most of your paycheque, till you either emigrate (they'll never give you an exit visa) or join the grey economy.

You can't fix stupid... but you should be able to take guns away from stupid, but the US federal gov gave this nimrod a gun. (Did you know nimrod used to be a compliment till Bug's Bunny called Elmer a nimrod and kids misinterpreted it as an insult).

It seems likely that there was an undisclosed settlement and that he is making payments on a much lower amount. Otherwise the lawyers on both sides would be stupid

More likely he just agreed to repay the full amount to keep rest of the sentence as low as possible and will apply to the court to have the amount reduced a little later on, when it's not so fresh in everyone's mind.

More likely he just agreed to repay the full amount to keep rest of the sentence as low as possible and will apply to the court to have the amount reduced a little later on, when it's not so fresh in everyone's mind.

Agreed. Short of winning a Powerball lottery he will never pay it off. It is more likely that a good attitude on his part brings him some leniency and he only gets a bit of his paycheck grabbed each month. If the amount grabbed stays static inflation will diminish the impact over the years.

Back
Top Bottom