2019 Epic Trip - Help | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2019 Epic Trip - Help

270's a great, like I mentioned I have them on a little scrambler and I've run them on ADV bikes in the past. This trip is all on roads -- some highway, hardtop and gravel -- I need durability and high speed manners on all types of highway surfaces. The KLR and DL650 are also different -- the DL is about 15% heavier, puts out double the power, and can run well above the 270's speed limit. I'm not a hooligan, but I do run hard and sometimes fast -- the 270 is a respectable tire and on some bikes the right choice -- I just don't think it's what I need for this trip.

Now I'm curious. What is the 270 speed limit? About 140 is maxxing out the KLR.

Now I'm curious. What is the 270 speed limit? About 140 is maxxing out the KLR.
Tire speed rating is 150Kmh. A tire's speed rating is not a measure of performance, it measures how fast the tire can roll. Many tires (especially knobbies) run out of usable speed well below their speed rating.

My experience on 270s is they run OK up to 120kmh, above that... nope.

Anyway, it doesn't matter to me because 270s don't come in Vstrom sizes or speed & load rating... they are simply the wrong tire for this bike.

Not much chance of getting the KLR past 150kph. Mine maxxes out about 145 or 90MPH (my bike was a US import so the speedo large print is miles - at 90 it's hard to read the fine print)

I have had the 270s weave a bit at high speed when brand new and fully loaded for a trip. After a short "break in" period that clears and it's all smooth sailing.

Good choice on Rocky Harbour and Woody's Point Mike, spend some time in that area! Don't blame you for taking the short ferry to Cape Breton! The old highway south of Sydney is a nice ride to the causeway and if you do the Cabot Trail be sure to do the Skyline tour.
Cheers!

Good choice on Rocky Harbour and Woody's Point Mike, spend some time in that area! Don't blame you for taking the short ferry to Cape Breton! The old highway south of Sydney is a nice ride to the causeway and if you do the Cabot Trail be sure to do the Skyline tour.
Cheers!
I've done the whole Cabot twice by car, this will be the first time on a bike. Same from Port aux Basque to Bonnie Bay Pond.

I hope to run the west coast of NL from north to south. Still making a list of things to see and do.

Cabot Trail is a very nice ride
last few years there has been heavy road work going on
large stretches of single lane gravel
anyone ride it last summer?
has it been completed?

I've done the whole Cabot twice by car, this will be the first time on a bike. Same from Port aux Basque to Bonnie Bay Pond.

I hope to run the west coast of NL from north to south. Still making a list of things to see and do.

Pretty easy route planning on NL with only 2 highways...:p

Gros Morne is probably on your list. The hills and curves are nice getting down to the water/bay.
If you get up the St Anthony area, I believe this is a spot for Ice Berg watching. Along that route there should be a Viking site as well.

Cabot Trail is a very nice ride
last few years there has been heavy road work going on
large stretches of single lane gravel
anyone ride it last summer?
has it been completed?
I did it this august. A few torn up gravel sections, but the vast majority of the road was excellent pavement. The few short torn up sections are definitely not enough reason to not do the cabot trail, I was on a sport bike and had no problem. Next time I go I would like to bring a tent and spend the night at meat cove.

Meat Cove holds many fond memories for me going whale watching with my daughter day after day on the good ship Oshan

http://www.oshan.ca

scratchythehumpbackwhaleoshanwhalewatch.jpg

One of my early digital photos was their splash screen for a time.

z6TYa4RA-1QuoNrm8KqBYNx0G4ABieJ2gGkZH-Cs05guEOypt8gmxZUK3YnP4lTlWHTOOX-M_jTyfKP2jjyd1HQahbKlc3GGjhqPe5egi4YYbfyT5F42w6dhSM_-sBe1xEx-JX6hGGxnBGprsxhp9pd6QtKXKxF_2e93X2V8WM7X4-R0MQR1pXzV0A6-Nt9JqS9rK9U_fl_bp1LsNuy9ox-XJqgxs6Y58EB32k_eMUjhXHEaEv_w0jbAS-MGtYGU8FR2UFhJLBiaCM0aIrkb2bG24O0u9AtzdF3vaDuq2z_EjYUgwcHcG0PmxkDbLRr-ry5bDoyHr7UgtSxoRtAjcVX4vhM3zn1Y21mSKpP_bUys3IvEZW6tgsIV5Y2Pz8d7HvzbwVLr_05WLUWxYLHCb8YNmvkErqS0ksVyopn2uJHCEDahvVFU28qbHaHpeAu_6Lq9xsnhSjyP4FUpGB8leIiAdQsvT5zFJf2EzeWVYuqmmA21wXioEmghIOiJ4djKm-3PVTjRmunaLgGgiYKWqItgGftt-tGhn8fCqfde3i1IL-UWYW-zAyvr1a2PSe2nz300puzoIRegQE71mKP5vXI7ykWotWWjHp9A39DIqogAV8s3tn7ZRw=w2238-h1064-no

The camera was so slow you had to anticipate the shot, punch the button and hope. Got lucky as the whale, the boat, the sun and the camera aligned ...with even a faint spout.

Worthwhile to take a break and a whale tour.

actually it's still on their website

http://www.oshan.ca/contact.html

that's only a couple years after digital cameras came available. Durable photo

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom