2019 Epic Trip - Help - Page 2



Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: 2019 Epic Trip - Help

  1. #21
    Jayell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    GTA
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: 2019 Epic Trip - Help

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mike View Post
    Anyone experience the Labrador Hwy? Quebec 138 to Kegashka, then ferry B-Sablon. From there to the Trans Lab, or south to the Rock? My attraction to this is 1) never been there, and 2) the culture of Atlantic No-where-ville.
    Yes! The Trans-Lab is an unforgettable ride! I did it this past summer, from Baie-Comeau up #389 to Labrador (a fantastic ride itself), then the TL to Blanc-Salon. The Trans-Lab is about 1100km, 400 of which are still gravel. Some parts are incredibly remote, but not particularly difficult, although I was fortunate to have ideal weather. It might be a different story if things become sloppy.

    Highly recommended.


    via Tapatalk
    Jayell: 2011 Triumph Thruxton - The Jewel, 2002 Triumph Tiger 955i - The Mule. Mrs. Jayell: 2013 Honda CB500F
    Alaska 2016 Ride Report: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-Vacation-time


  2. #22

    Re: 2019 Epic Trip - Help

    Always wanted to do a ride along the #138 out to Natashquan just because and then back over to the #389 and head north.
    The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

    https://www.mixcloud.com/shanekingsley/ - House music, Drum'nBass and Downtempo mixed sets

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,274

    Re: 2019 Epic Trip - Help

    Quote Originally Posted by shanekingsley View Post
    Always wanted to do a ride along the #138 out to Natashquan just because and then back over to the #389 and head north.
    I was thinking of continuing past Natashquan to Kegashka then jumping the coastal ferry (Bella Desgaganes) to B-Sablon. From there you can go north, counterclockwise back across the Trans Lab to Baie Comeau -- or -- go south and come back through the Rock.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Present: FJR 1300, DL650XT XV920R, GL1000, TR25W
    Past: GSXR1300, M50, EX250R, GL1500, XV250, TS200R, TW200, XV1100, CB750SS, H2 MIV, Rupp Roadster, MX125, MX250, DT400

  4. #24

    Re: 2019 Epic Trip - Help

    Trans-Taiga? Don't know if it's "EPIC" but it's literally as remote as you can get in NA. About 1500kms of gravel from the JBR out past the dam to the outfitters for gas at 10$/gallon and back.

  5. #25

    Re: 2019 Epic Trip - Help

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mike View Post
    I was thinking of continuing past Natashquan to Kegashka then jumping the coastal ferry (Bella Desgaganes) to B-Sablon. From there you can go north, counterclockwise back across the Trans Lab to Baie Comeau -- or -- go south and come back through the Rock.
    I hear the dam tour at Manic Cinq is really worth doing, so if you go either way along the 389, see if that can be slotted in. And since you got all this time, you could come back home via both Cabot and Gaspe for a very fulfilling northeastern Canadiana trip.
    The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

    https://www.mixcloud.com/shanekingsley/ - House music, Drum'nBass and Downtempo mixed sets

  6. #26

    Re: 2019 Epic Trip - Help

    You are a lucky man to have that much time to ride....envious. Where to go? Not sure if it's an issue for you or not but for me I won't be visiting the US and spending my $$'s there until things change. Lots of gorgeous places to ride there (and hopefully one day I will) and I know there are lots of fantastic Canadian loving folks all over the US but I personally won't be spending any of my $$'s there on rides for the time being. I guess I have thin skin. 25 days in Canada will get you anywhere you want to go and then back again.....and NOT be in a mad rush to pile on the km's. I'd probably head north into Quebec and ride east then try to get over to Nfld. Maybe time the ride with a CSBK race if it works out.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,274

    Re: 2019 Epic Trip - Help

    Quote Originally Posted by PFD023 View Post
    You are a lucky man to have that much time to ride....envious. Where to go? Not sure if it's an issue for you or not but for me I won't be visiting the US and spending my $$'s there until things change. Lots of gorgeous places to ride there (and hopefully one day I will) and I know there are lots of fantastic Canadian loving folks all over the US but I personally won't be spending any of my $$'s there on rides for the time being. I guess I have thin skin. 25 days in Canada will get you anywhere you want to go and then back again.....and NOT be in a mad rush to pile on the km's. I'd probably head north into Quebec and ride east then try to get over to Nfld. Maybe time the ride with a CSBK race if it works out.
    yes I am lucky to have lots of time off. This trip is 6500 km, which by highway is about 10 days what I don’t know is the daily distances on the tougher roads. Summer has 16 hours of daylight, so riding 600 day is easy on pavement.

    Im ok with my travel kit, I plan camping as my first option, motels once and a while. Still need to workout tire choices and recommended bike stuff. Do I need fork gaiters? Karoos or K60s? Is enough paved for an FJR or ami better on my DL?
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Present: FJR 1300, DL650XT XV920R, GL1000, TR25W
    Past: GSXR1300, M50, EX250R, GL1500, XV250, TS200R, TW200, XV1100, CB750SS, H2 MIV, Rupp Roadster, MX125, MX250, DT400

  8. #28

    Re: 2019 Epic Trip - Help

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mike View Post
    yes I am lucky to have lots of time off. This trip is 6500 km, which by highway is about 10 days what I donít know is the daily distances on the tougher roads. Summer has 16 hours of daylight, so riding 600 day is easy on pavement.

    Im ok with my travel kit, I plan camping as my first option, motels once and a while. Still need to workout tire choices and recommended bike stuff. Do I need fork gaiters? Karoos or K60s? Is enough paved for an FJR or ami better on my DL?
    Better to have it and not need it then to blah blah blah. The DL will always be fun in the twisties though maybe not so fast. The FJ will only be so much fun on interesting gravel detours and explorations that may pop up.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •