2019 Epic Trip - Help | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2019 Epic Trip - Help

Anyone experience the Labrador Hwy? Quebec 138 to Kegashka, then ferry B-Sablon. From there to the Trans Lab, or south to the Rock? My attraction to this is 1) never been there, and 2) the culture of Atlantic No-where-ville.

Yes! The Trans-Lab is an unforgettable ride! I did it this past summer, from Baie-Comeau up #389 to Labrador (a fantastic ride itself), then the TL to Blanc-Salon. The Trans-Lab is about 1100km, 400 of which are still gravel. Some parts are incredibly remote, but not particularly difficult, although I was fortunate to have ideal weather. It might be a different story if things become sloppy.

Highly recommended.
e9eb0801575c9b64d5c637e49df714c0.jpg
7ecc496549b23ec747c527d8ca968147.jpg

via Tapatalk

Always wanted to do a ride along the #138 out to Natashquan just because and then back over to the #389 and head north.

Always wanted to do a ride along the #138 out to Natashquan just because and then back over to the #389 and head north.
I was thinking of continuing past Natashquan to Kegashka then jumping the coastal ferry (Bella Desgaganes)
to B-Sablon. From there you can go north, counterclockwise back across the Trans Lab to Baie Comeau -- or -- go south and come back through the Rock.

Trans-Taiga? Don't know if it's "EPIC" but it's literally as remote as you can get in NA. About 1500kms of gravel from the JBR out past the dam to the outfitters for gas at 10$/gallon and back.

I was thinking of continuing past Natashquan to Kegashka then jumping the coastal ferry (Bella Desgaganes)
to B-Sablon. From there you can go north, counterclockwise back across the Trans Lab to Baie Comeau -- or -- go south and come back through the Rock.
I hear the dam tour at Manic Cinq is really worth doing, so if you go either way along the 389, see if that can be slotted in. And since you got all this time, you could come back home via both Cabot and Gaspe for a very fulfilling northeastern Canadiana trip.

You are a lucky man to have that much time to ride....envious. Where to go? Not sure if it's an issue for you or not but for me I won't be visiting the US and spending my $$'s there until things change. Lots of gorgeous places to ride there (and hopefully one day I will) and I know there are lots of fantastic Canadian loving folks all over the US but I personally won't be spending any of my $$'s there on rides for the time being. I guess I have thin skin. 25 days in Canada will get you anywhere you want to go and then back again.....and NOT be in a mad rush to pile on the km's. I'd probably head north into Quebec and ride east then try to get over to Nfld. Maybe time the ride with a CSBK race if it works out.

You are a lucky man to have that much time to ride....envious. Where to go? Not sure if it's an issue for you or not but for me I won't be visiting the US and spending my $$'s there until things change. Lots of gorgeous places to ride there (and hopefully one day I will) and I know there are lots of fantastic Canadian loving folks all over the US but I personally won't be spending any of my $$'s there on rides for the time being. I guess I have thin skin. 25 days in Canada will get you anywhere you want to go and then back again.....and NOT be in a mad rush to pile on the km's. I'd probably head north into Quebec and ride east then try to get over to Nfld. Maybe time the ride with a CSBK race if it works out.
yes I am lucky to have lots of time off. This trip is 6500 km, which by highway is about 10 days what I don’t know is the daily distances on the tougher roads. Summer has 16 hours of daylight, so riding 600 day is easy on pavement.

Im ok with my travel kit, I plan camping as my first option, motels once and a while. Still need to workout tire choices and recommended bike stuff. Do I need fork gaiters? Karoos or K60s? Is enough paved for an FJR or ami better on my DL?

yes I am lucky to have lots of time off. This trip is 6500 km, which by highway is about 10 days what I don’t know is the daily distances on the tougher roads. Summer has 16 hours of daylight, so riding 600 day is easy on pavement.

Im ok with my travel kit, I plan camping as my first option, motels once and a while. Still need to workout tire choices and recommended bike stuff. Do I need fork gaiters? Karoos or K60s? Is enough paved for an FJR or ami better on my DL?

Better to have it and not need it then to blah blah blah. The DL will always be fun in the twisties though maybe not so fast. The FJ will only be so much fun on interesting gravel detours and explorations that may pop up.

Better to have it and not need it then to blah blah blah. The DL will always be fun in the twisties though maybe not so fast. The FJ will only be so much fun on interesting gravel detours and explorations that may pop up.
Off the pavement is no place for an FJR -- it's impossible to ride on loose gravel or dirt.

I loved the Scouts for mileage and stability in gravel... Mitas 07s are better on pavement and solid off pavement.

Don't know about Karoos.

If you are going east and off the pavement - take the DL.

I loved the Scouts for mileage and stability in gravel... Mitas 07s are better on pavement and solid off pavement.

Don't know about Karoos.

If you are going east and off the pavement - take the DL.
I'm likely to take the DL, from what I have read the Scouts perform well and offer good value based on their longevity. Funny thing... I've spoken to a few riders who tour on Shinkos, they are cheap and every rider I've spoken to loves them.

[*]Riding 6hrs/day

Given this limitation, I too would strongly discourage anything west coast. I've done it, you're realistically looking at 11,000KM assuming you're doing some of the interesting bits on the way out and back. At even your full 25 day allotment, that's 440KM average per day. If you take (for example) 3 days off during that trip for weather, unforseen things like mechanical problems, or you just physically need a down day, you'll be north of 500KM/day which is realistically pushing the limits of your 6 hour/day desire unless you're riding hard, stopping only for fuel and then honking on it again.

Now, if you're willing to extend that and/or do a few 1000+KM days (there are some really boring stretches getting to and from the west coast, at least assuming you stay to the north, so it wouldn't be hard), I'd be all over the west coast personally.

I would do as some others are suggesting and do an east coast thing. I've been out there as well and have a lot of great memories from a few crawls up the entire US & CDN coast.

I'm likely to take the DL, from what I have read the Scouts perform well and offer good value based on their longevity. Funny thing... I've spoken to a few riders who tour on Shinkos, they are cheap and every rider I've spoken to loves them.

4 of us did the trans taiga about 3 summers ago. 3 on new Kenda 270s and one fellow with Shinkos. By the end of all that gravel he was wishin he had spooned on the Kendas instead.

I've gone through a few sets of Shinko 777's on my VTX - best tires I've ever bought, hands down. Perform well in all weather and road conditions, and the wear I've got out of my current set (around 40,000KM on the front and 25,000KM on the rear, albeit both are due for replacement by spring) is nice as well.

4 of us did the trans taiga about 3 summers ago. 3 on new Kenda 270s and one fellow with Shinkos. By the end of all that gravel he was wishin he had spooned on the Kendas instead.
270s are great, but they have too low a speed and load rating for a DL650. I have them on my Triumph 250 and ran them on my TS200R 2 stroke enduro -- they are great 50/50 tires -- not going to work at highway speeds.

Given this limitation, I too would strongly discourage anything west coast. I've done it, you're realistically looking at 11,000KM assuming you're doing some of the interesting bits on the way out and back. At even your full 25 day allotment, that's 440KM average per day. If you take (for example) 3 days off during that trip for weather, unforseen things like mechanical problems, or you just physically need a down day, you'll be north of 500KM/day which is realistically pushing the limits of your 6 hour/day desire unless you're riding hard, stopping only for fuel and then honking on it again.

Now, if you're willing to extend that and/or do a few 1000+KM days (there are some really boring stretches getting to and from the west coast, at least assuming you stay to the north, so it wouldn't be hard), I'd be all over the west coast personally.

I would do as some others are suggesting and do an east coast thing. I've been out there as well and have a lot of great memories from a few crawls up the entire US & CDN coast.
Whether I go east or west, I'll probably bee-line the first few days on slabs. I've covered this ground many times - my real interest is having more time in the heart of the tour. I can get to New Brunswick next day, and to the west coast in 3 days of hard riding.

I will be travelling with at least one other rider who is also OK with a few mile killing days. If the group grows beyond us, that might change.

Mike, Let me know if you do the trans Labrador highway. I'll join you on my v-Strom 650. I have flexible dates in July and August. I wouldn't be headed back on bike, however, as I'd be spending time on the island. If head that way, be sure to do the loop at Cape St. George (pass Stephenville). Craig

I've spoken to a few riders who tour on Shinkos, they are cheap and every rider I've spoken to loves them.

I have a friend you runs Shinko's exclusively on his BMW FS800GS... Did the Trans Lab last summer and survived.

21en9jb.jpg

I've been running Shinko 804 front and an 805 rear on my Versys for 3 seasons now. Great tire for what I want and you can't beat the price.
6d3875fc83c672e702889ef6fd33176b.jpg

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom