General Motors Oshawa to Close | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

General Motors Oshawa to Close

At least the bumper will be attached so you have something to push on :)

It wasn't attached very well on my Buick LeSabre, and the fricken thing weighed a ton when it fell off - luckily not while we were underway.

Interesting.

https://www.cp24.com/news/gm-says-it-has-identified-some-jobs-for-oshawa-workers-1.4218044

"In addition, General Motors has identified 300 openings for auto technicians at GM dealerships in Ontario "

So the line workers are going to work as flat rate techs? I just can't see that succeeding in 99% of the cases. That is an entirely different mindset. It may work if they stay as oil-change and tire techs, but I can't see that job approaching their current compensation.

Interesting.

https://www.cp24.com/news/gm-says-it-has-identified-some-jobs-for-oshawa-workers-1.4218044

"In addition, General Motors has identified 300 openings for auto technicians at GM dealerships in Ontario "

So the line workers are going to work as flat rate techs? I just can't see that succeeding in 99% of the cases. That is an entirely different mindset. It may work if they stay as oil-change and tire techs, but I can't see that job approaching their current compensation.

Pretty sure these people have already realized their pay day is over the moment the doors close.

My Brother in law is impacted. GM will buy out his remaining time and he can retire on a full defined benefit pension plan. Not too many people get those now-a-days so he is laughing all the way to the bank.

Its the other 1500 that can't retire and won't get a pay check equivalent to GM. They are the ones I feel sorry for

Interesting.

This is damage control. Everyone's ****** at GM and they've just come to the realization that their Ontario vehicle sales are finished. I won't be buying another vehicle from GM. The plant is closing, but they could have built electrics there. Instead they chose Mexico. Well, let them sell their cars to the Mexicans, and good luck doing it.

This is damage control. Everyone's ****** at GM and they've just come to the realization that their Ontario vehicle sales are finished. I won't be buying another vehicle from GM. The plant is closing, but they could have built electrics there. Instead they chose Mexico. Well, let them sell their cars to the Mexicans, and good luck doing it.

People also have very short memories. GM may see a dip in sales but people will keep buying GM.

People also have very short memories. GM may see a dip in sales but people will keep buying GM.

Full recovery will be hampered by lack luster products. The vanilla pudding offerings may have been tolerated if the cars were built by friend or family but now they're just another import from someone that screwed us. As far as the final run goes does "One of the last Canadian GM's" outweigh the potential of a poorly built or sabotaged car due to the bitter ending?

Thought similar.... they would only be screwing up an individual owner, not GM as a whole, but ****** off ppl don't really think of the end result, just the immediate.

Full recovery will be hampered by lack luster products.

They never fully recovered since the bailout, they were just surviving.

many plants are running well below capacity.

Sorry to say, but I see GM continuing to spiral downwards, despite their big boast about their electric future.

Just looking at their current crop of electric vehicles reveals poor efforts. The Volt, and the Bolt.

Just look at the recent electric efforts of a Bolt competitor...... far more exciting and interesting to look at.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2019-hyundai-kona-electric-suv

GM is so done.

I do work at the Canadian Automotive Museum in Oshawa. Someone was joking the other day that they should embalm an automotive worker and put him on display so that future generations will know what they like.

I remember attending an event that Frank Stronach spoke at about 10 years ago. At that time he said the unionized autoworker made $35/hr + benefits compared to $21hr for equivalent manufacturing jobs across the Canadian manufacturing market. His point was that auto unions were geared to win battles, but lacked the foresight and planning to win the war. He said auto unions were not adept at handling change, that they continued to look at maximizing their gains in 2-3 year windows when they needed to be looking 10 years down the road.

Looks like he was right.

I’m going to replace my Truck and it will most likely be with a Silverado or Sierra, regardless of what happened :-( I also looked at the Ram and Ram eco diesel. They were nice but I think I preferred the Sierra.

I need something to pull the toy hauler so need a truck

I’m going to replace my Truck and it will most likely be with a Silverado or Sierra, regardless of what happened :-( I also looked at the Ram and Ram eco diesel. They were nice but I think I preferred the Sierra.

Ridgeline.

No, wait. You said you need a truck.

They never fully recovered since the bailout, they were just surviving.

many plants are running well below capacity.

Sorry to say, but I see GM continuing to spiral downwards, despite their big boast about their electric future.

Just looking at their current crop of electric vehicles reveals poor efforts. The Volt, and the Bolt.

Just look at the recent electric efforts of a Bolt competitor...... far more exciting and interesting to look at.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2019-hyundai-kona-electric-suv

GM is so done.

Where cars are concerned I agree, but their trucks and SUVs are top sellers. The company makes plenty of money. However, GM still insists on doing its styling in-house. Problem is they no longer have the talent they had in the 1960s and 70s to produce tasteful designs. The board is still staffed by the same old immoveable goats who champion mediocrity. The Bolt has good tech but horrible styling. Try telling them that and they just don't believe it. Sooo long, soo sad. But does anyone really care anymore? Apparently not, because I visit their suppliers all the time and Oshawa's closing is not going to be the end of the world for them. They're all busy supplying Honda, Toyota, Ford and Chrysler.

Last edited:

Go on, get your new $50g+ 4 cyl GM pick up. you get half an engine, for the full price of the other makes.

and the fuel mileage of the 4cyl is WORSE....

another brilliant GM move....

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...s-optional-turbocharged-four-cylinder-engine/

Go on, get your new $50g+ 4 cyl GM pick up. you get half an engine, for the full price of the other makes.

and the fuel mileage of the 4cyl is WORSE....

another brilliant GM move....

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...s-optional-turbocharged-four-cylinder-engine/

i don’t think you can get a 4 cylinder Sierra. You may be able to get it in a Canyon. I’m not sure.

I need the V8 as the the toy hauler is 6k lbs unloaded. I don’t think you would have any chance towing that with a 4 cylinder gas engine

Last edited:
This seems to be the trend now.

I was in Houston last week and the only car left on the National “Emerald” piece of the lot was a Mustang. Unfortunately it was a 2.3 litre Mustang.

I understand that fuel economy and going green are big things these days and I’m sure that engine would be great in a Fusion or Focus, but a Mustang??? It didn’t really do anything until over 4K.

The Volt has good tech but horrible styling.

I just bought a used one. I’m a member of the APA so it was one of their recommended EV’s.

I never though that I would ever buy an EV but so far I’m surprised. I like it and have no problem using it as a primary car which was one of my big concerns

I think styling is like any other small sedan. It’s looks similar to a Hyundai, Kia or Toyota. I assume a lot of the design is spit out of a computer anyway

I think styling is like any other small sedan. It’s looks similar to a Hyundai, Kia or Toyota. I assume a lot of the design is spit out of a computer anyway

I was at a light today and a 18 Civic was beside me and a Volt was ahead of it. Both white, which eliminates colour bias. The Volt is a far better looking car.

Back
Top Bottom