General Motors Oshawa to Close | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

General Motors Oshawa to Close

How much did you pay in 2017? How many sqft? Land size? How many bedrooms? Just curious.

I am in a bungalo and pay around $2200. The person in Oshawa was over $4000. Now I think of it they had a kid this probably had a impact on property taxes.

Its not that Oshawa is particularly high Toronto is just much lower than the rest or Ontario in a crazy way. If they incrythe property tax to a appropriate level they would be financially much better off.

Maybe, or they other areas outside of Toronto have inflated taxes or lack other revue for the city. I have no idea unless I see the numbers so how can one speculate. But I know some of the services I pay for I never use, like the TTC.

I am in a bungalo and pay around $2200. The person in Oshawa was over $4000. Now I think of it they had a kid this probably had a impact on property taxes.
Property tax rates are based completely on assesed property value. My property taxes are over 6 g a year with next to no services.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Property tax rates are based completely on assesed property value. My property taxes are over 6 g a year with next to no services.

Assessed value times the mill rate. Mill rate varies dramatically across the GTA.

If they wanted "fair" taxation, Toronto should tax condo's using a different formula than houses. You can see why the city approves everything when you tear down three houses generating ~$15,000 in property tax and replace them with a condo that generates $60,000++. Another upside is the city is responsible for garbage collection on the houses and the condo must cover private collection, so the city gets more revenue and has less expenses. Property tax on condo's is relatively affordable due to their lower value so taxing them is low hanging fruit as there are probably more condo's now in toronto than single family homes.

I still think Toronto will need to do a property tax reset at some point. People scream that it will drive them out of their homes, so I am ok waiting until an ownership change to trigger the new rate (which is likely double the old rate).

Last edited:
2018 Toronto residential: 0.6355054%, 2018 Waterloo RH & RT residential: 1.107847% of which 0.605048 is regional.

Waterloo region population was around 600,000 in 2017. GTA population was over 6,000,000 in 2016.

Toronto also has a concentration of commercial buildings which are taxed.

Despite all of this, my Toronto taxes were more than Scuba's. I'm not sure what he means by services? trash? snowplowing?

I'm not sure that a reset is in order. The houses downtown tend to be much older, smaller, and on smaller lots than what you would get outside of the city.

As far as GM, it sounds like the plant was very much outdated, and was running at around 10% of it's capacity when they announced the close.
Should any government throw more money at GM to try and keep some workers there longer?

Unions don't guarantee jobs but I don't think they're any different than other elected bodies. If you want to get elected you can't tell the voters to be prepared for change or sacrifice. How many voters were paranoid enough to make contingency plans?

I was doing service work at P&G in Hamilton, saw them spend millions in a new tank farm and employee cafeteria and then a year or two later start tearing the place down. It's now a parking lot. Money that would astound us is nothing when they're talking billions.

2018 Toronto residential: 0.6355054%, 2018 Waterloo RH & RT residential: 1.107847% of which 0.605048 is regional.

Waterloo region population was around 600,000 in 2017. GTA population was over 6,000,000 in 2016.

Toronto also has a concentration of commercial buildings which are taxed.

Despite all of this, my Toronto taxes were more than Scuba's. I'm not sure what he means by services? trash? snowplowing?

I'm not sure that a reset is in order. The houses downtown tend to be much older, smaller, and on smaller lots than what you would get outside of the city.

As far as GM, it sounds like the plant was very much outdated, and was running at around 10% of it's capacity when they announced the close.
Should any government throw more money at GM to try and keep some workers there longer?
Actually in puslinch now so all we get is snowplowing no water sewer etc

I've heard it said that GM is not really an auto maker...

It's a pension fund that builds/sells cars to finance itself.

That would be my biggest fear putting in a lifetime at GM, there is always the chance they could Sears or Northern Telecom on you and your pension could just go...... that would bite hard.

That would be my biggest fear putting in a lifetime at GM....
At how much per hour? ~40 bucks per?
People didn't work there because they were investing in GM's future they worked there because it was a high paying job, now it's not.

As I recall it when GM first went chapter 11 they said 'Mr.government bail us out and we will produce 19 more car models' :/ when what they really needed was 18 fewer models and 1 good one.

At how much per hour? ~40 bucks per?
People didn't work there because they were investing in GM's future they worked there because it was a high paying job, now it's not.

As I recall it when GM first went chapter 11 they said 'Mr.government bail us out and we will produce 19 more car models' :/ when what they really needed was 18 fewer models and 1 good one.

I believe you recall incorrectly.

GM makes far fewer models now than they did pre bail out.

I believe you recall incorrectly.

GM makes far fewer models now than they did pre bail out.
Wasn't suggesting that was the way it turned out, that was the mentality of the G management at the time. Was on the radio the same day I ordered my current F350.

Wasn't suggesting that was the way it turned out, that was the mentality of the G management at the time. Was on the radio the same day I ordered my current F350.

Well they sold off Hummer and simply erased Pontiac, Oldsmobile and Saturn.

So... I don’t know what you mean.

I mean the day they announced that GM was declaring bankrupt about a decade ago, they interviewed a GM rep for a response to the news and his idea was for the government to give them enough money to crank out 19 new car models :| no worries, he didn't get it either.

So the US has a 25% tariff on imported small trucks, which is why the F150 is the best selling truck ever because there is no point at looking at an off shore brand. Even the Ford Ranger sold all over the planet, except the US, would cost much more than an F150 full size.
GM trucks and SUV's sell well enough, the cars just arent desirable anymore. Couple exceptions, vette, like any brand , but the bulk of the lineup is mehh. Even my mom dropped her Malibu for a Mazda and she was a GM'er for 3 decades.

Now Trump says the US will impose large tariffs on smaller cars to combat GM's lack of interesting cars and keep the factory open because Joe 6 pack will only be able to afford a Union Made American car.

How is nobody in government understanding that maybe these guys just need to go, mandating production and propping up failing industry is always a short game. Just like the government meddling in private industry.

So the US has a 25% tariff on imported small trucks, which is why the F150 is the best selling truck ever because there is no point at looking at an off shore brand. Even the Ford Ranger sold all over the planet, except the US, would cost much more than an F150 full size.
GM trucks and SUV's sell well enough, the cars just arent desirable anymore. Couple exceptions, vette, like any brand , but the bulk of the lineup is mehh. Even my mom dropped her Malibu for a Mazda and she was a GM'er for 3 decades.

Now Trump says the US will impose large tariffs on smaller cars to combat GM's lack of interesting cars and keep the factory open because Joe 6 pack will only be able to afford a Union Made American car.

How is nobody in government understanding that maybe these guys just need to go, mandating production and propping up failing industry is always a short game. Just like the government meddling in private industry.

The chicken tax has been around for 50 years. Using the Ford Ranger as an example isn't that great, they sold in the States up until 2011 and were like $10000 cheaper than an F-150. They then chose to move manufacturing to Thailand and South Africa, they knew a tax was in place. Now that they are being assembling in the US they won't pay the tax and will be back for 2019.

Really gave the auto manufacturers two options: assembly the vehicle in North America or build a good enough truck people will pay the 25% premium for.

So, did the Silverado break down or not?

http://www.thedrive.com/news/25221/...e-middle-of-detroit-red-wings-marketing-stunt

coming on future GM products, heated rear bumpers for when you have to get out and push....

Back
Top Bottom