General Motors Oshawa to Close | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

General Motors Oshawa to Close

Because of segmentation.
The government lent the monies to GM Production.
The land is owned by a holding company, wholly owned by GMAC. an entirely different company.

Before we all go off on this, let's remember that Canada is THE MOST expensive place in the world to build cars.
... and let's not forget GM's debt to employee retirement funds.

See ya. It's been nice. Thanks for all the fish.

We still make some pretty cool Fords.

More expensive than unionized Germany? Is that true?

Guarantee? I've never in my life heard of a union guaranteeing its members a job. Deflecting this layoff at unions is not right.

Yes, I agree. This shutdown has nothing to do with the union, and things would be a hell of a lot worse for the workers without the union - lower severance, no pension and a lot less notice. This has to do with seismic shifts in demand and the rise of electric vehicles. It also has to do with lower demand for passenger cars vs SUVs and pickup trucks. GM has also been planning new product for Mexico where everything is a lot cheaper: you don't pay to heat factories in Mexico, taxes are very low, people work for a pittance and live in mud/straw huts etc. Writing was on the wall a long time ago.

I've never heard anyone call an American automaker boring. Usually that's reserved for the slow, cheap Japanese cars (Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Hyundai, Kia, etc) that haven't done anything innovative since 1996.

We are literally in the biggest horsepower race between the big 3 since the 60's, where each company is producing reliable, high horsepower, daily drivers - a race which we will most likely never see again. Far from boring.

Hyundai and Kia are Korean.
The big 3... Do any of the American auto companies still make that list? Do we still refer to Chrysler as being an American company?

I've never heard anyone call an American automaker boring. Usually that's reserved for the slow, cheap Japanese cars (Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Hyundai, Kia, etc) that haven't done anything innovative since 1996.

We are literally in the biggest horsepower race between the big 3 since the 60's, where each company is producing reliable, high horsepower, daily drivers - a race which we will most likely never see again. Far from boring.

Right, this is what the market needs, more high horsepower "exciting" vehicles with todays congested roads, ridiculous speed laws, along with eye popping sticker prices. This is exactly why the "big 3" are in a mess. Totally lost to market demands. Many of them have axed or limited their car lineup.

totally lost.

Right, this is what the market needs, more high horsepower "exciting" like the NSX with todays congested roads, ridiculous speed laws, along with eye popping sticker prices.

FTFY

EVERY manufacturer has halo cars. As usual, you cherry pick.

Did someone say Civic Type R?

If you're dead set on buying an ugly car, may as well get it in puke green and own that MF.

45162558015_0e85dfb646_b.jpg

I can see canceling the dud sedans
haven't owned one since buying the x wife a Regal ~20 years ago
the trunk-car is a leftover from the last century, it's dead

drove Silverados for over 20 years, stopped that habit awhile back
can just rent a truck the 3 or 4 times a year I need one

but in the event that thinking changes, it's gonna be a Ford
#$%^& GM and their Mexican pickups

Did someone say Civic Type R?

Ugh the Type R was a fail. Who would pay $55k for a $40k car? Let alone a Civic...

Main issue was Honda hasn't made a car in 20 years that people would wait in line for, so they had no clue how to handle it, and handled it poorly.

Correct, cars that make them money and sell them more Civics and Accords.

I see the Corvette is doing much to spur Cruze and Volt sales...

Just talking about the NSX, they can't get rid of them. Selling $25k below sticker. Terribly slow cars, just like the old NSX.

But the big three does the same thing. Sell 800000 F150's a year and you can loose money on GT350's, GT's. Or sell more Wranglers and Ram's than you can shake a stick it and you can sell 700hp cars and SUV's. Same with Chev.

It may help housing affordability as a good number of GM employees sitting on mortgages may move east to get cheaper housing.
I hope so. I have 2 early 20 kids that have tried to buy in the Shwa... you can't get a dump or building lot for less than $300K.

I hope so. I have 2 early 20 kids that have tried to buy in the Shwa... you can't get a dump or building lot for less than $300K.

Oshawa already has ridiculously high property tax compared to the GTA. Will sky rocket in two years time.

Yes, I agree. This shutdown has nothing to do with the union, and things would be a hell of a lot worse for the workers without the union - lower severance, no pension and a lot less notice. This has to do with seismic shifts in demand and the rise of electric vehicles. It also has to do with lower demand for passenger cars vs SUVs and pickup trucks. GM has also been planning new product for Mexico where everything is a lot cheaper: you don't pay to heat factories in Mexico, taxes are very low, people work for a pittance and live in mud/straw huts etc. Writing was on the wall a long time ago.

You are being a bit stereotypical about Mexicans, but not too far off. They do have a educated workforce down there and yes earn less then we do, but I guess it is relative to the cost of living. Even if they didn't have a educated workforce they could still train them and still be ahead then workers from here.

Most of the other car manufactures have setup shop in Mexico. So this shouldn't have been a big surprise.

It's funny the savings they are gaining by moving down there is not passed along to the consumers.

Someone I used to work with lived in North end of Oshawa was paying double what I did in Scarborough. Both single detached homes.
How much did you pay in 2017? How many sqft? Land size? How many bedrooms? Just curious.

Someone I used to work with lived in North end of Oshawa was paying double what I did in Scarborough. Both single detached homes.
Its not that Oshawa is particularly high Toronto is just much lower than the rest or Ontario in a crazy way. If they incrythe property tax to a appropriate level they would be financially much better off.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Its not that Oshawa is particularly high Toronto is just much lower than the rest or Ontario in a crazy way. If they incrythe property tax to a appropriate level they would be financially much better off.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Here's a recent article that provides data. Oshawa has the second highest mill rate, Toronto has the lowest (more than 10% lower than the 2nd lowest). Obviously these need to get multiplied by house value. Using an "average" house, Toronto pays $5532 and Oshawa pays $7906.

http://torontostoreys.com/2018/07/gta-cities-highest-lowest-property-taxes/

EDIT:
I find it shocking that mill rates vary by 220% in the GTA. It makes you wonder if there is any underlying logic or just politicians setting the rate wherever they need to generate the budgets they want.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom