General Motors Oshawa to Close | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

General Motors Oshawa to Close

So when they took the bail out money, the deal was GM would stay in Oshawa for XXX yrs. Guess when the deadline is up ??? December 2019!!!!

The union has to send them home to not look like pussies, but the axe has been swinging for 5 yrs.

Now comes the play, since they have not announced any product to be put into the facility after December 2019, how much more money will the Liberals now throw at them, and the province and the city of Oshawa. And GM in spite of all this crap is making record profits.
The suits at GM are not dummies.

Hatchet list officially announced.

"Propulsion plants that will be "unallocated in 2019" include Baltimore Operations in White Marsh, Maryland and Warren Transmission Operations in Warren, Michigan, GM says.

GM has now released a statement, saying assembly plants that will be "unallocated in 2019" include Oshawa, Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly in Detroit, and Lordstown Assembly in Warren, Ohio."

I think it's fair to say that no large corporation has any loyalty to anyone but their shareholders

"Unifor does not accept this announcement and is immediately calling on GM to live up to the spirit of that agreement.”

When a person forms a corporation they in essence create a being with legal and fiscal responsibilities. However, the being has no conscience.

GM has now released a statement, saying assembly plants that will be "unallocated in 2019" include Oshawa, Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly in Detroit, and Lordstown Assembly in Warren, Ohio."

I wonder how the Trump voters in those American cities like him now.

IMO (which usually has no merit), ever since the bailout in 2016, you had to know this plant was eventually going to be on the chopping block, I think it was inevitable.

IMO (which usually has no merit), ever since the bailout in 2016, you had to know this plant was eventually going to be on the chopping block, I think it was inevitable.

Assuming that staffing levels are correlated with production rates, I am surprised they lasted this long. A 90% reduction in bodies should free up a ton of real estate that can be turned into cash.

Assuming that staffing levels are correlated with production rates, I am surprised they lasted this long. A 90% reduction in bodies should free up a ton of real estate that can be turned into cash.

Why didn't the government hold the land as collateral for the loan / bail out whatever?

Employee reduction over the last several years is a by product of automation / robotics, and the fact that many parts are not built in the assembly plant anymore........hence, not as many people are needed like ther were 5, 10, 15 yrs ago.

Why didn't the government hold the land as collateral for the loan / bail out whatever?

Because of segmentation.
The government lent the monies to GM Production.
The land is owned by a holding company, wholly owned by GMAC. an entirely different company.

Before we all go off on this, let's remember that Canada is THE MOST expensive place in the world to build cars.
... and let's not forget GM's debt to employee retirement funds.

See ya. It's been nice. Thanks for all the fish.

We still make some pretty cool Fords.

Here's a link to the GM Press Release if any of you are interested:
https://media.gm.ca/media/ca/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/ca/en/2018/Nov/1126.html

I don't think this has much to do with Trump, politics, NAFTA, or tariffs. It fact that people aren't buying cars anymore. Look at the list:
- Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly - Cadillac ELR, Cadillac CT6, Buick LaCrosse
- Oshawa Assembly - Cadillac XTS, Chevrolet Impala, Silverado/Sierra
- Lordstown Assembly - Chevrolet Cruze
- Baltimore Operations - Builds transmissions for 2500/3500 trucks
- Warren Transmission Operations - Builds transmissions for the GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Impala, Cadillac XTS, and electric motors for the Chevrolet Volt, Malibu, and Buick Velite

Besides Oshawa assembling trucks and the low production Baltimore tranny factor, they are getting ride of most of their car line-up. Chrysler did it, Ford did it, now GM. People don't want big body cars anymore, they would rather have a truck or an SUV. It's sad to see them go but they aren't the first, and they won't be the last.

All we can hope for now is GM re-purposes the land for a new hybrid assembly line.

What non automotive industry related businesses are there in Oshawa? The 2500 jobs likely directly affect 4000 +/- homes. Then come the parts and service suppliers plus everything from window washers to landscapers, restaurants etc.

I don't have a pony in the race but a city losing it's heritage is tough to take.

What non automotive industry related businesses are there in Oshawa? The 2500 jobs likely directly affect 4000 +/- homes. Then come the parts and service suppliers plus everything from window washers to landscapers, restaurants etc.

I don't have a pony in the race but a city losing it's heritage is tough to take.

I would guess UOIT and/or Durham College may be close to the top of the list of employers now. Not a good transition job for most of these employees. Now there are probably thousands of small businesses that are looking to hire. The question is the mentality. Many big business/union mentality people are not a culture fit for a small shop (just as many small shop people cannot handle working in a huge business).

Heard this one today:

"So the General is pulling out of Oshawa. Apparently the only guy ever to pull out in the 'Shwa".

Its closing December 2019, so they have a years notice. I feel bad for anyone losing a job but you didn't need a crystal ball to see this coming.

Anyone that puts faith in their union to guarantee them a job, or that a company will "do the right thing" should just stick with buying lottery tickets, its a safer investment.

Guarantee? I've never in my life heard of a union guaranteeing its members a job. Deflecting this layoff at unions is not right.

Oh and they haven't paid back the government for the bail out money apparently, there is 1 billion still owed.

I wonder if they will close the offices as well, or severely downsize them as what other operations do they have here besides dealerships.

Before leaving Oshawa GM I hope your going to clean up the toxic swamp you leave behind after years of production or is that going to be on the backs of taxpayers as well? !!!!!

So when they took the bail out money, the deal was GM would stay in Oshawa for XXX yrs. Guess when the deadline is up ??? December 2019!!!!

The union has to send them home to not look like pussies, but the axe has been swinging for 5 yrs.

Now comes the play, since they have not announced any product to be put into the facility after December 2019, how much more money will the Liberals now throw at them, and the province and the city of Oshawa. And GM in spite of all this crap is making record profits.
The suits at GM are not dummies.

news reported stocks are up.

Here's a link to the GM Press Release if any of you are interested:
https://media.gm.ca/media/ca/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/ca/en/2018/Nov/1126.html

I don't think this has much to do with Trump, politics, NAFTA, or tariffs. It fact that people aren't buying cars anymore. Look at the list:
- Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly - Cadillac ELR, Cadillac CT6, Buick LaCrosse
- Oshawa Assembly - Cadillac XTS, Chevrolet Impala, Silverado/Sierra
- Lordstown Assembly - Chevrolet Cruze
- Baltimore Operations - Builds transmissions for 2500/3500 trucks
- Warren Transmission Operations - Builds transmissions for the GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Impala, Cadillac XTS, and electric motors for the Chevrolet Volt, Malibu, and Buick Velite

Besides Oshawa assembling trucks and the low production Baltimore tranny factor, they are getting ride of most of their car line-up. Chrysler did it, Ford did it, now GM. People don't want big body cars anymore, they would rather have a truck or an SUV. It's sad to see them go but they aren't the first, and they won't be the last.

All we can hope for now is GM re-purposes the land for a new hybrid assembly line.

All those vehicles on the list are axed because they are crap and nobody is buying them. GM makes the most pathetic boring poorly engineered vehicles I've ever seen.

Good riddance! But I do feel sorry for those losing their jobs. that just plain sucks.

All those vehicles on the list are axed because they are crap and nobody is buying them. GM makes the most pathetic boring poorly engineered vehicles I've ever seen.

Good riddance! But I do feel sorry for those losing their jobs. that just plain sucks.

I've never heard anyone call an American automaker boring. Usually that's reserved for the slow, cheap Japanese cars (Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Hyundai, Kia, etc) that haven't done anything innovative since 1996.

We are literally in the biggest horsepower race between the big 3 since the 60's, where each company is producing reliable, high horsepower, daily drivers - a race which we will most likely never see again. Far from boring.

Back
Top Bottom