General Motors Oshawa to Close | GTAMotorcycle.com

General Motors Oshawa to Close

More fallout from politics of the past.

If it’s true my heart goes out to those affected. Not a nice thing to happen just before Christmas. Most of those people have been there for years and the chances of them getting something in a similar field must be very slim.

I think one line was scheduled to close in 2016 anyway, thankfully they got another couple of years

Last edited:
Sad to hear. **** GM though.

Not really surprising. They've been scaling back Oshawa for ages. There used to be 40,000 employed there; now there's 2800. GM recently repatriated the Camaro to Michigan. People who work there and weren't shaken enough by the 1000-job loss in 2015 to prep for this day only have themselves to blame.

Just watch the government try to bail them out.North America needs to let them fold like Australia did.

GM has no loyalty to anyone but themselves. They had no problem shafting thousands of American workers and moving production to Mexico so it's no surprise that they would pull out of Oshawa.I would probably never buy a GM product anyway.I've had way better luck with Japanese vehicles.

GM has no loyalty to anyone but themselves. They had no problem shafting thousands of American workers and moving production to Mexico so it's no surprise that they would pull out of Oshawa.I would probably never buy a GM product anyway.I've had way better luck with Japanese vehicles.

I think it's fair to say that no large corporation has any loyalty to anyone but their shareholders

I think it's fair to say that no large corporation has any loyalty to anyone but their shareholders
True enough.Hopefully consumers won’t have any loyalty to GM either, especially laid off autoworkers whose tax dollars went to bailing them out.Oshawa had a hell of a good run while it lasted but it’s never good to have all your eggs in one basket.Time to move on.

Last edited:
Right before Christmas. Stay classy GM. It's time to let GM close its doors for good. Their cars are low quality compared to other brands and getting them to honor warranties is like pulling teeth. I feel bad for the 2500 employees, but the job market is good and they'll find work. I think this leaves just two smaller GM plants in Canada: CAMI Automotive in Ingersol and GM Powertrain in St. Catherines. Those won't last. This is a company that should never have been bailed out.

Gm needs to die and hopefully after they pull out of canada the people will boycott gm all together and give them what counts. Zero!!

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Its closing December 2019, so they have a years notice. I feel bad for anyone losing a job but you didn't need a crystal ball to see this coming.

Anyone that puts faith in their union to guarantee them a job, or that a company will "do the right thing" should just stick with buying lottery tickets, its a safer investment.

It’s sad but unfortunately it’s the way of the world now. In my industry expensive, expensive, unionized broadcast engineers are being replaced with recent IT grads as the whole industry embraces IP.

My brother in law is impacted. He’ll be 24 years there next year so will probably be fine. GM will probably buy out his last year and he can just retire on his full pension and benefits. It’s the guy with no seniority and a young family I feel sorry for. He or she will probably not get a job with similar wages and benefits.

It makes sense though. I had a tour of Tesla back in the spring, and it’s more like a electronic assembly clean room than a car plant and most of the people on the line are grads. As the world migrates more toward electric cars I think there will be a seismic shift in manufacturing.

That Baboon in the White House is already claiming this is a victory of the US car makers, and of course it was all made possible by him and his brilliant NAFTA 2.0 negotiating skills. What a ****ing dick

That sucks Big Time !!! Guess "bailout" money wasnt enough wtf !!!!! oh wait maybe that was "bail on us" :-(

Another brilliant maneuver by the union. Will they just die already. Their root purpose is good, but they have been self-serving obstacles for decades.

from cp24 tweet
"Workers at GM's Oshawa plant say the union has told them to go home today. "

Another brilliant maneuver by the union. Will they just die already. Their root purpose is good, but they have been self-serving obstacles for decades.

from cp24 tweet
"Workers at GM's Oshawa plant say the union has told them to go home today. "

Would you be interested in buying a car that was built there......today?
Moral is purposely kept low, at the best of times in assembly plants. With today's news, catching many employees by surprise, moral would be at an all time low, having an obvious negative impact on quality.

Would you be interested in buying a car that was built there......today?
Moral is purposely kept low, at the best of times in assembly plants. With today's news, catching many employees by surprise, moral would be at an all time low, having an obvious negative impact on quality.

A reasonable point and one that should be strongly considered by management. In my view, not something that the union should be driving.

To be fair, I wouldn't be excited to buy any vehicle that came out of the plant in the next year as you only need a few disgruntled people out of 2500 to affect the rest of the production.

A reasonable point and one that should be strongly considered by management. In my view, not something that the union should be driving.

To be fair, I wouldn't be excited to buy any vehicle that came out of the plant in the next year as you only need a few disgruntled people out of 2500 to affect the rest of the production.

I just turned the tube on!
The union has done the right thing.
I hope they win the fight. GM (and the rest) are nuts. Locking the doors at the plant(s) with most flexibility (that takes money......funded money) highest
quality (that takes commitment......unionized employee commitment).
I hope another co. buys the plant, and saves the dwindling good paying, unionized jobs.

I just turned the tube on!
The union has done the right thing.
I hope they win the fight. GM (and the rest) are nuts. Locking the doors at the plant(s) with most flexibility (that takes money......funded money) highest
quality (that takes commitment......unionized employee commitment).
I hope another co. buys the plant, and saves the dwindling good paying, unionized jobs.

It's still possible that this is just a fundraising game like Amazon HQ2. A test by GM to see which country/municipality will throw the most money at them to save the jobs. Maybe not, but it wouldn't shock me.

Back
Top Bottom