Question for boaters? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Question for boaters?

its become the norm, Canadian CG only seem to ask for it when your coming back from the US, Canadian Border will ask for it occasionally when you come in from the US and the Halton Regional , Peel/Missisaugua/ Hamilton cops ask all the time now.
It was more of a big water thing, Lake Ontario, Lake Erie, but the trend seems to have spread, since nobody carried them for years. Its a great ticket to write when nothing else is working.

The other tickets everybody got last year was the new fancy self inflating life jackets, it only counts as a life preserver when you are actually wearing it, so count it as a life preserver when its on the seat beside you,unless there are spares on the boat, nope , ticket.
Waterproof flashlight? when they ask you to turn it on it better light up. Anchor that would actually hold the boat? Who's to say how big that needs to be. On a boat over 40Ft you need an axe. WTF are you going to do with an axe in Lake Ontario on a glass boat?

The 6yr old sitting in front of you on a jet ski at 10mph? nope, ticket, you cant prove little jimmy wasn't actually driving.

The big problem (actually its not a problem its just funny) , all the small lake fish killers and cottage folks bring the boat to bigger water and have ZERO inventory of flares, sound devices, chart of the area aboard or a working compass. And often no clue how to use it if they did.

The 10 year renewal surprised me. It used to be like trailer plates, good for life. I'm starting to worry about the canoe in the garage.

why would you worry about the canoe in the garage?, there is no legal requirement to license a canoe.

Thanks. In Amurica I see canoes with registration numbers. If I wanted to canoe in the US do I have to have a registration number?
Square stern or pointy at both ends?

iceboat.jpg

Last edited:
Regarding renewing your boats ownership every ten years I asked Transport Canada about this back in 2012 and got this reply “ Any vessel that is licenced before April 29, 2010 when these regulations came into force will not be required to update their information every ten years. However, if there are changes that need to have been made to the licence such as a change of address the ten year update would be required.”

So you are grandfathered if you don’t move.
This was from the Office of Boating Safety, Ontario Region, Transport Canada

Thanks. In Amurica I see canoes with registration numbers. If I wanted to canoe in the US do I have to have a registration number?

No, your a Canadian boat (canoe), you dont need to be licensed. you are required to carry the safety equipment particular to the state you are boating in. Usually a 50ft heaving rope, bailing can, signal device (whistle) and life jacket for each person, but each state has thier own rules.

No, your a Canadian boat (canoe), you dont need to be licensed. you are required to carry the safety equipment particular to the state you are boating in. Usually a 50ft heaving rope, bailing can, signal device (whistle) and life jacket for each person, but each state has thier own rules.
Yes the safety requirements are the province of the state. Also, the confusion between Province and State, is sometimes the reason for the state of our Province. :p

Not that it matters much, but one of the goofy side effects to the licensing/registering thing and the Pleasure Craft Operators card, when my daughter was 14 she could not drive our 10ft rubber zodiac with the 15hp motor, but she could drive my 30ft sailboat with the 8hp diesel. Engine hp was the factor. uhmm ok..

My 24ft sailboat boat has niether a license number or registration, because its under 25ft and under 5hp. It fits in a loophole in the paperwork.

And since its only used for racing it requires no safety equipment at all, if its out day sailing its a "practice day" so still exempt. Its pretty interesting to see the marine police look sideways, then look at the book they have, then look sideways since they never heard of the race boat exemption rule.

Not that it matters much, but one of the goofy side effects to the licensing/registering thing and the Pleasure Craft Operators card, when my daughter was 14 she could not drive our 10ft rubber zodiac with the 15hp motor, but she could drive my 30ft sailboat with the 8hp diesel. Engine hp was the factor. uhmm ok..

My 24ft sailboat boat has niether a license number or registration, because its under 25ft and under 5hp. It fits in a loophole in the paperwork.

And since its only used for racing it requires no safety equipment at all, if its out day sailing its a "practice day" so still exempt. Its pretty interesting to see the marine police look sideways, then look at the book they have, then look sideways since they never heard of the race boat exemption rule.
You might doublecheck those rules. I raced Sabots Lightnings on Simcoe -- you could get away without safety gear but you needed a powered safety tender marshaling the race or practice. I'm pretty sure that changed in '09 after which you need the full compliment of gear -- even if you have a tender and are racing.

If you want to find out, sail up to a YRP cruiser in Cook's bay next summer.

Thats actually the part of the problem, YRP likely has no idea, nor did Halton.

Lightnings were a fun boat, we had an active fleet in Bronte and Hamilton at one time, wayfares, albacores. Then came the dingys that would plane and everything changed. I cant believe the Laser has endured for 50yrs.

its become the norm, Canadian CG only seem to ask for it when your coming back from the US, Canadian Border will ask for it occasionally when you come in from the US and the Halton Regional , Peel/Missisaugua/ Hamilton cops ask all the time now.
It was more of a big water thing, Lake Ontario, Lake Erie, but the trend seems to have spread, since nobody carried them for years. Its a great ticket to write when nothing else is working.

The other tickets everybody got last year was the new fancy self inflating life jackets, it only counts as a life preserver when you are actually wearing it, so count it as a life preserver when its on the seat beside you,unless there are spares on the boat, nope , ticket.
Waterproof flashlight? when they ask you to turn it on it better light up. Anchor that would actually hold the boat? Who's to say how big that needs to be. On a boat over 40Ft you need an axe. WTF are you going to do with an axe in Lake Ontario on a glass boat?

The 6yr old sitting in front of you on a jet ski at 10mph? nope, ticket, you cant prove little jimmy wasn't actually driving.

The big problem (actually its not a problem its just funny) , all the small lake fish killers and cottage folks bring the boat to bigger water and have ZERO inventory of flares, sound devices, chart of the area aboard or a working compass. And often no clue how to use it if they did.

We have kids on the jet skis all the time... in Lake Ontario as well... been stopped a few times... never had an issue.
Legally... I don't need to prove the kid wasn't operating the machine... they would need to prove he/she was actually operating it.

Back
Top Bottom