Business/Life Coach? Anyone use them? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Business/Life Coach? Anyone use them?

Life Coach - met lots, not a single one ever impressed me. If your personal life is upside down, see your doctor first, then try to get a psychologist referral. The yellow pages 'Life Coaches' are mostly kooks.

Business Coach - different. It's quite common for small business owners to need help planning and making decisions.

You probably have a list of issues, when you look through them you probably know what you want to do -- but you're not moving forward. You are having trouble delegating to your staff. Finances might be getting tight, making spending decisions hard to prioritize. You might be procrastinating on important things like planning, taxes, and employment issues. You're putting off difficult discussions you know you have to make.

You might need a coach, you might not. Many accountants that serve small businesses can be helpful 'trusted advisers', try bouncing some of your concerns off your accountant. Another good option is a close supplier or customer in a similar line of business. Network - 'Boards of Trade' are great places to meet other entrepreneurs, they host breakfasts and seminars that can help you (beware of independent business consultants -- they are notorious for trolling trade meetings and events).

Like 'Life Coaches' there are lots of business coaches for hire. Many are Dr. Phil educated and have themselves failed miserably at running businesses -- they will have a great story by waste of your time and money. If you do decide to go that route, try the BDC. They employ retired business people that have a track record of success. Services are reasonable and the coaches are coaches.

Last edited:
Thanks, dudes, for the advice and opinions! Very helpful and appreciated!

When I posted, I was having a bad day. Everything seemed like it was going downhill. It's not as bad today, but things are still stressful. Every decision/issue, no matter how small, seems like a catastrophe just waiting to happen. The only thing I can do is to take things step by step, day by day.

I'd be more inclined to try to find a mentor and failing that a person in a similar situation (eg. business owner) to chat with. If you aren't annoying and are willing to listen and take advice to heart, it is amazing the gold that some people will give you for free. They will have been through (or be going through) many of the same problems.

Now how to find this person? Either a formal organization like chamber of commerce, or random networking events (financial advisors love to throw these to try to recruit your money). Hell, there seem to be some incredibly level headed and successful people in GTAM that may be willing to be that person for you.

Great advice. Thanks GreyGhost. Should try to seek these organizations out, so I have some ppl to talk to in the future.

There's nothing wrong with visiting a shrink. We're all nuts at times. Not to say that you are.

Yeah, true. Was thinking about this one! lol. All I really need is to vent, and for someone to acknowledge my situation.

The life coaches in my opinion are for people the should see phsyciatric help but want to be cooler about it. And you need no credentials to be a life coach so....

It will be hard to believe from my posting on this forum, I have done mentoring for business people , and continue to do so. While industry specific helps , you either have a grasp of business concepts and best practices or not. And not all business executives are super clever, some are just lucky and thats ok to, but you have to be able to tell the difference.

Trade associations, our Chamber of commerce has a once a month wine afternoon social , you can possibly meet a like minded person there. And there are always consultants, (they want paid) , do not IMO attend a business workshop hosted by any financial advisor. Banks on the other hand have meet and greet and yiou can often meet a kindred spirit there.

And there is always counselling available through your family doctor. If your feeling like your going to blow a gasket, talk to somebody, if you walk into emerg they will find you somebody to talk to.

Joining some of those trade associations sounds like a great idea! Thanks!

Business owner here. If you ever want to talk over beers letme know. I get a lot of help from other business owners. Used a coach long time ago. If they are in the same boat they can help otherwise just give you general advise.

Thanks for the offer, LiNK666! Very kind of you. :)

Life Coach - met lots, not a single one ever impressed me. If your personal life is upside down, see your doctor first, then try to get a psychologist referral. The yellow pages 'Life Coaches' are mostly kooks.

Business Coach - different. It's quite common for small business owners to need help planning and making decisions.

You probably have a list of issues, when you look through them you probably know what you want to do -- but you're not moving forward. You are having trouble delegating to your staff. Finances might be getting tight, making spending decisions hard to prioritize. You might be procrastinating on important things like planning, taxes, and employment issues. You're putting off difficult discussions you know you have to make.

You might need a coach, you might not. Many accountants that serve small businesses can be helpful 'trusted advisers', try bouncing some of your concerns off your accountant. Another good option is a close supplier or customer in a similar line of business. Network - 'Boards of Trade' are great places to meet other entrepreneurs, they host breakfasts and seminars that can help you (beware of independent business consultants -- they are notorious for trolling trade meetings and events).

Like 'Life Coaches' there are lots of business coaches for hire. Many are Dr. Phil educated and have themselves failed miserably at running businesses -- they will have a great story by waste of your time and money. If you do decide to go that route, try the BDC. They employ retired business people that have a track record of success. Services are reasonable and the coaches are coaches.

Mad Mike, never thought about the BDC! Just checked their site. I think this might be the solution I'm looking for! Can get some expert advice, but have some degree of confidentiality. Thanks, dude!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom