Winter projects | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Winter projects

Nice work! I learned how to check valves on my cbr125. Not sure about doing it with the shimmed cbr250.
Why do you have the front fairing/headlight assembly off? While you're in there I would change to some brighter headlight bulbs. It would be far easier to do now than after it's all back together

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

Nice work! I learned how to check valves on my cbr125. Not sure about doing it with the shimmed cbr250.
Why do you have the front fairing/headlight assembly off? While you're in there I would change to some brighter headlight bulbs. It would be far easier to do now than after it's all back together

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk
All front plastics are removed as its being replaced, someone backed over her bike in a parking lot. I think a unicorn hit it though, the guy actually came inside the restaurant to find her and paid her cash the next day. When does that ever happen?
Since I'm changing the plastics anyway it makes easier access to check valves, change fluids and pull the forks and go through them.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Yikkes! Where does one get a filter like that.
You are banking some good karma!

Sent from the moon!

Had a filter like that in an old 1986 VFR 750 i picked up for a project bike. Body of the carbs were rotted away as well in some spots.

Shims. Under or over bucket style?

The 125 uses rocker arms with screws and locknut adjustment.

I just had my 125 out yesterday. New piston rings. (53,000 km on it, 52,000 of that at wide open throttle)

The 125 uses rocker arms with screws and locknut adjustment.

)

my old 'jelly bean' cbr 600 had those...so easy to work on and no need to buy shims !!!

20170222-1989-honda-cbr600f-right.jpg

Well it's all done and back together. She bought a white front clip as she figured it would help with visibility.
The valves had never been touched and both were out of adjustment, fork oil, engine oil, coolant and brake fluid are all flushed and fresh. New front and rear brake pads with a caliper service. While I had everything apart I changed out the steering head bearings as they were loose and notchy feeling. Which naturally led to checking and replacing front and rear wheel bearings as well as replacing her broken chain adjuster.
The bike now fires and idles instantly, whereas before it would crank for a while before starting with a sickly idle. Throttle is responsive again.
I am glad I did the work as it turns out that she is planning a one way trip to New Brunswick on it this year.
994f25909ad6d38b27f1c7f17152592c.jpg

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Fork oil - did you drain and replace or take the forks apart. You would be amazed how much sludge is likely hiding inside. Just draining misses a lot of that.

Fork oil - did you drain and replace or take the forks apart. You would be amazed how much sludge is likely hiding inside. Just draining misses a lot of that.
I just refilled the forks with some fresh oil, pumped it 10 times and drained it, 3 times for each leg. Was coming out clean.
The owner of the bike had limited funds as well, so she was not interested in buying new seals to replace good ones.

Steering head bearings and wheel bearings worn out at 23,000kms? How hard did she ride that poor little bike?

Steering head bearings and wheel bearings worn out at 23,000kms? How hard did she ride that poor little bike?

It may have been parked for half a decade before she picked it up. That does bearings no favours. I've had bike that needed wheel bearings at ~20K. Not sure why they died so quickly.

She has no g license and has ridden the bike straight through 3 winters in Barrie. That explains the wheel bearings. The steering head bearings had play in them, when I disassembled them they were dry and notchy feeling. At that point I figured I'd just replace them while everything was apart.

Props to her.
Yep. Last week I helped her move to North Bay. I think "dismayed" accurately describes the look on her face when we arrived.
I think she needs a Christini awd unit for her little cbr.

Back
Top Bottom