Winter projects | GTAMotorcycle.com

Winter projects

Iceman

So the wife and I have a young(28) female riding friend who has an 08 cbr125r. This is her third season on it and she had no place to store it this year. I offered her space in my garage and have since offered to tear it down for full maintenance.
I now have so much work to do lol. The bike is sitting at 23000km, never had a valve inspection, never had an air filter change, oil screen never cleaned, no fluids ever changed except oil, forks never serviced, basically zero maintenance since new.
I have never seen an air filter so plugged with seeds, fur and God knows what else. I'm not sure how this bike even ran daily.
I do know that she's going to get a new-feeling bike back come spring.
e3c8ed0ae7207af01d17bc45e66da7db.jpg
67073fd2eb94380d6524c7ae0cd376c7.jpg
1fef851df3ab06dae2e37f54a4be83d8.jpg

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Boggles my mind at how many people own vehicles, yet have no idea about basic preventive maintenance. SMH

I have never seen an air filter so plugged with seeds, fur and God knows what else. I'm not sure how this bike even ran daily.

Anyone who sees this thread and hasn’t checked their air filter in a while is wondering if theirs is ok right now.

Well done for stepping up and offering to do the much needed maintenance work .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who thought that a 125 would feel powerful after routine maintenance? You're a good guy iceman.

Wow,is she parking the bike near a soya farm?
It's a Honda.Boring as it can possibly be.....but it does so forever.

Yikkes! Where does one get a filter like that.
You are banking some good karma!

Sent from the moon!

Thanks guys. She is a good riding friend and has come with us on many 500 - 1000km days. To be honest I'm also being a little bit selfish doing the work, this way I won't be cutting a day short and running home for the trailer because her bike broke down.
I also remember a few very kind older individuals helping me learn back when I didn't know what maintenance was beyond an oil change. Paying it forward.

very decent of you to help her out

she maintains her bike like I maintain the cage

got room for a car? :)

and yup, I agree with the mice observation
something carried that protein supply up into the air box

Good on you iceman :thumbup:

but remember the proverb: Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

The Suzuki Savage project I did a few years back had problems from lack of knowledge and crappy uncaring shops. Teaching people the basics of motorcycle maintenance seems required these days. I was lucky and had a good local shop and great high school shop teacher ( circa 1987 ).

Thanks guys. She is a good riding friend and has come with us on many 500 - 1000km days. To be honest I'm also being a little bit selfish doing the work, this way I won't be cutting a day short and running home for the trailer because her bike broke down.
I also remember a few very kind older individuals helping me learn back when I didn't know what maintenance was beyond an oil change. Paying it forward.

Be honest, you're just tryina smash.

but remember the proverb: Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

This.

I have zero problems helping a friend learn. If you've asked for help and been taught maintenance then don't you dare bring it back to mine in that shape again.

Good luck

This.

I have zero problems helping a friend learn. If you've asked for help and been taught maintenance then don't you dare bring it back to mine in that shape again.

Good luck

The key word is HELP. Helping is good but doing the work while they go shopping is enabling.

No give a man a fish and your feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Nice job Iceman, but like others I hope she at least drops by to see whats going on, three yr of riding with zero looking about is just sad.

She is very interested in learning and does try to do her own maintenance. She's been doing her own oil changes since she bought the bike but had no idea there was an oil strainer screen that needed cleaning as well. Probably better though you have to remove the clutch cover to access it.
She also took the end off her thumb cleaning the chain in first gear while the engine was running, something she learned from a "riding buddy". She now knows how to properly and safely lube her chain, however she snapped the chain adjuster trying to tighten it without loosening the axle. So everything she learns is two steps forward and one backwards lol.
Also, if anyone ever wants to learn to check valve clearances, the cbr125r is laughably easy.

tap dancing Jesus, the number of missing digits because smart guy , "SMRT " smart said, 'here hold my beer and watch me clean my chain pronto' . And snapping an adjusted since the axle bolt was still torqued down ? oy vey

If only she had advice from the "grease your axle sticks " guy, all this heartbreak could have been avoided.

Your a fine man Iceman, if she makes you a coffee and a sandwich, check for bones in the chicken, maybe the coffee......

Back
Top Bottom