E bikes rampaging Toronto streets | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

E bikes rampaging Toronto streets

:I doesn't require much imagination I can tell you exactly what that feels like.

Bureaucracy step one would be to make bicycle riders register and plate their bicycles, then you might stand a chance of controlling the bicycle and moped traffic. There is however a desire for the public to adopt electric vehicles and for that to happen the government will need to consider some concessions.

They have nothing in common with bicycles. Hanging fake non-functional pedals on a thing does not a bicycle make. I have tits, doesn't make me a woman.

Be careful in what you wish for.
Increased enforcement of "Ebike" laws may come with increased enforcement of motorcycle laws... and if Quebec is any indication they'll start with non OEM exhaust.

That would be easy pickings, nearly every sportbike I look at has a can at the least, and nearly every harley has something else. If they wanted to write a lot of tickets in one pull over, exhaust would be a good one.

They have nothing in common with bicycles. Hanging fake non-functional pedals on a thing does not a bicycle make. I have tits, doesn't make me a woman.
I agree :D
pedals should be a feature and not a requirement on a bicycle which should be limited to ~the speed a peddle bicycle can travel.
Electrics are the vehicles imho they need to provide path or route access for to give the small electric vehicle some appeal. If they are outrageous to purchase and operate they will be slow to be adopted as a preferred form of urban personal transport, if they can advantage access to anywhere you can ride a bicycle imagine the :cool: possibilities.

... ya, I know, riders would have to act respectfully to pedestrian traffic so it will never work :/

My R6 cost less than a new ebike. The insurance for my R6 costs less monthly than a TTC pass. I'm quite positive that a low speed motorcycle classification would be FAR cheaper than that, unless ofcourse you're one of those people who have completely written off the privilege of operating ANYTHING more powerful than shoes, and that is exactly why the vast majority of ebike riders fall into that category. Why would anybody in their right mind want to defend the ability of those people to get back on the road?

you can buy a new E-bike for $2295. , if you bought an R6 for less thats a pretty good deal.

I hear the nickname for an e bike is the DUI-ducati, and i see a metric crap ton of little rascal scooters running down the middle of the road, but i'd argue if it keeps any of these possibly marginalized folks on a payroll someplace, glad they can get to work cheaply. I'd feel bad for a person to have been punished with loss of actual driving, 10k in legal bills and then possibly loose a job.

My R6 cost less than a new ebike. The insurance for my R6 costs less monthly than a TTC pass. I'm quite positive that a low speed motorcycle classification would be FAR cheaper than that, unless ofcourse you're one of those people who have completely written off the privilege of operating ANYTHING more powerful than shoes, and that is exactly why the vast majority of ebike riders fall into that category. Why would anybody in their right mind want to defend the ability of those people to get back on the road?

Devil's advocate:
An R6 CAN be found for under the cost of these brand new ebikes, doesn't mean that is a regular occurrence. An R6 can probably not be insured for less than a metropass for someone in the city I under the age of 30, with less than 5 years of continual moto insurance. Let alone the gear to ride, the gas fill ups for within the city, which is where most of these ebikes are, inner city vehicle quick machines. Those mobile scooter shooters for people to use as Uber jobs or to go to their close-to-min wage job giving under 30 hours a week.
Just cuz it works for you, doesn't mean everyone can afford it.
If it gets people going, good for them. If they get hurt, they'll probably learn. If not, then c'estlavie.
This thread for the most part is reminiscent of when drivers or any other road users complain about streetcars taking so long and blocking so much space while in their 5 seater sedan alone, when they are filled to the brim with 100+ people trying to get from Point A to B, waiting in the streetcar compared to waiting to pass it. Get some perspective.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Once again, an LSM isn't an R6. And none of this changes the fact that there needs to be a reporting mechanism, and consequences for garbage behaviour. My argument isn't to get these people on regular motorcycles, because many of them are disqualified from ANY motor vehicle operation anyway. The goal is to keep disqualified people on the bus and have some kind of identifying factor to report like a license plate, rather than trying to explain to police that it was a red emmo that knocked over grandma on the sidewalk and took off, because that only narrows it down to probably 1200 suspects in a medium sized city.

that daymak is nuts. I can see joe and jane public complaining to police about them. But because they look like motorcycles it will be sportsbikes riders getting the hate.
911? there is a person on a motorcycle riding in the bike lane.

Motorcyclists regularly use bicycle lanes during heavy traffic and are justly loathed for it. They're not brand-specific though. 911 calls are probably uncommon, given how many drivers are busy texting. Bureaucrats and police are ineffective enough, no need to weigh them down with more expectations. We know the hope turns to heartbreak.

I had the opportunity to ride an electric many times this summer. Wasn't the huge plastic type that look like a swollen vespa - but rather an electric that was very much like a bicycle. It was lot of fun. really. On a lonely down hill road I could reach 38-39 km/h. The bike really pulls well even going up hills. but after about 35 km/h the bike was getting somewhat unstable. generally, riding at about 25km/h requires next to nothing in effort. I rode it as you would a bicycle.

Sometimes riding with traffic was scary. cars would pass at speed (say 60) within arms reach. After one stint of this death defying ride - I chose to go on the sidewalk for my own safety on certain roads. When approaching any folks on the sidewalk, I would slow to a crawl and ride onto the grass at least 20 feet before encountering, then back onto the sidewalk after passing them.

The owner of the electric warned me b4 going out my first time - "give your full attention to riding". Cars pass really close. He wears a dot open face helmet. and good thing- last month a parked driver opened their car door and he nailed the door at about 25km/h. Bruised stunned sore; but he's ok now.

The front disc brake was very strong, and even capable of doing a stoppie.

... Sometimes riding with traffic was scary. cars would pass at speed (say 60) within arms reach....
You should try driving a farm tractor in an 80 zone when you have a top speed of 12 and no rear view mirrors :|

lol speaking of farm tractors, that is the true DUI alternate vehicle. (at least around here it is)

I had the opportunity to ride an electric many times this summer. Wasn't the huge plastic type that look like a swollen vespa - but rather an electric that was very much like a bicycle. It was lot of fun. really. On a lonely down hill road I could reach 38-39 km/h. The bike really pulls well even going up hills. but after about 35 km/h the bike was getting somewhat unstable. generally, riding at about 25km/h requires next to nothing in effort. I rode it as you would a bicycle.

Sometimes riding with traffic was scary. cars would pass at speed (say 60) within arms reach. After one stint of this death defying ride - I chose to go on the sidewalk for my own safety on certain roads. When approaching any folks on the sidewalk, I would slow to a crawl and ride onto the grass at least 20 feet before encountering, then back onto the sidewalk after passing them.

The owner of the electric warned me b4 going out my first time - "give your full attention to riding". Cars pass really close. He wears a dot open face helmet. and good thing- last month a parked driver opened their car door and he nailed the door at about 25km/h. Bruised stunned sore; but he's ok now.

The front disc brake was very strong, and even capable of doing a stoppie.

I actually love those bicycle Ebikes....To me that is what they should be....and make sense.....but turning them into Vespas and now fake Ninjas....Those same people are using the road as a car and in bike lanes and on sidewalks......and that is fine with me as long as they have to have licence and insurance like the rest of us.

Because there's no money in fining near-welfare wage people.
I've seen a guy in traffic court (for drunk driving, driving without a license or insurance, speeding, and dangerous driving) get off completely free because he was broke AF, owed tens of thousands in fines, and had already been to jail a bunch of times. Judge was basically like, "You have no money to pay your old fines, nevermind your new ones. Sending you to jail didn't work. Just get out of here and don't let me see you come back."

Motorcyclists regularly use bicycle lanes during heavy traffic and are justly loathed for it. They're not brand-specific though. 911 calls are probably uncommon, given how many drivers are busy texting. Bureaucrats and police are ineffective enough, no need to weigh them down with more expectations. We know the hope turns to heartbreak.
I see no issue with using the bike lane if there are no bicycles in it. Pretty much the same as filtering. Obviously if it's full of cyclists and you're trying to ride your motorcycle in it you're an idiot.

I've seen a guy in traffic court (for drunk driving, driving without a license or insurance, speeding, and dangerous driving) get off completely free because he was broke AF, owed tens of thousands in fines, and had already been to jail a bunch of times. Judge was basically like, "You have no money to pay your old fines, nevermind your new ones. Sending you to jail didn't work. Just get out of here and don't let me see you come back."

There must be something you missed about that case... There is no way it went down like you've described.

There must be something you missed about that case... There is no way it went down like you've described.
I suppose so. I was there from the time he got called up until he left. There was some talk about why he was still driving all the time despite his suspended license. Talk about his unpaid fines and unpaid child support. Etc. Guess I might be missing some background. Or maybe when he told him to get out of here he meant back to jail.

I see no issue with using the bike lane if there are no bicycles in it. Pretty much the same as filtering. Obviously if it's full of cyclists and you're trying to ride your motorcycle in it you're an idiot.

It's okay for motorcycles to use bicycle lanes if convenient, then dart back into the road proper when convenient? That sounds awfully similar to the philosophy of e-bicyclists being pilloried here.

It's okay for motorcycles to use bicycle lanes if convenient, then dart back into the road proper when convenient? That sounds awfully similar to the philosophy of e-bicyclists being pilloried here.

That’s not how filtering works. I said like filtering.

You should try driving a farm tractor in an 80 zone when you have a top speed of 12 and no rear view mirrors :|

lol speaking of farm tractors, that is the true DUI alternate vehicle. (at least around here it is)

Buddies son (a 44yr old) was picked up on the 406, driving a John Deere full size tractor, already under suspension for DUI and, loaded with extra beers in the can when stopped.
They impounded the tractor which I had to go get since we sort of needed it to pull some grain harvester wagons. $1,100 tow bill since a regular tow truck wasnt moving a 4WD dually turbo diesel tractor.
We had hid the keys and disabled every other vehicle on the farm, missed the huge tractor attached to a 30,000lb grain cart

nHxPrP9k-qXUMuZ8Cq6W4AhyxclHJxvxoyZOtv-IZfH6fKotcFCoKJPW7gIMU8UUeEVfimULmo3cVUWm3xTKDysNcMoAgi1hd8x3Pq_HDEWnm2PB17UMq_pZgR6ybDQSMAjr8GwB5aHhWFDg5ZiiRitSbgUs8e77Ux-GbpdYIIJCeas8IiiTJll9aePSrS4ftV5ArdxLShdkKuJG6FEs_FDQyNzXG1S43mFuThNBZlnz41u_hHUlrmcC4Dm3yb70b02Zt_sOEzXZWG9ipMgxNHZm9FE7nlbIDF2leq3f2CvPbVEEVxvCGdrSgoxurfhOsFSzU-590NSKMr0oQnHFc7psPzepnZgCcAdG2fTVhto-QQ3jjhAdmFzVnTWgdG3S1STD6zxC26u9Ij46EKYrApiM3zSrQubDABXyvkcvlSW0vTkuC8jJpZvJrhSEPtFqekp2XylYdirAG9yMB3BonbpGkWa10bv_ZahW0Dv6j86EDBLzvKVXCbttjerwD_7mzYn7taAOqh9yTuskMPndW1XyhI0ufUgORsYlctIRbY8u1Zlo912-OutNowNHiNluy-qo9k9Jh0-bYT1lVzgrvW8eJyUYsdkXnT2y9TPq4xsehzesVrhnWe7egM5B06M0Kmf9_-xC91A2dTmVQQ=w1019-h764-no

Heres mine. its a Giant Dirt E+1 . Unlike an ebike you have to pedal , there is no throttle. It has 3 modes, economy, normal and power. on economy mode the range on a full battery with constant pedalling is 140km. I average 250 km and still have a 1/3 left because you often coast. It has the Yamaha electric motor with 80lbs of torque. As a test I went to one of Toronto's steepest hills, behind Loblaws on Laird. I pedalled up the hill in power mode...with two buddies on bicycles holding onto my shoulders and didn't break a sweat.
I use this bike on my commute. Markham/Progress to Birchmount/St Clair, roughly 14 km each way. I can do this ride in 25 minutes using bike trails and side streets. I CAN'T do it this fast in my car or motorcycle during rush hour. I also ride the trails in the Don, Durham forest etc for recreation.
Bought it for $2800 at the end of last season. Being a name brand, it comes with a 2 year full warranty. Had to replace the front axle last month, not for a dangerous problem but because it had a manufacture defect which I never spotted until I fixed a flat.

Back
Top Bottom