Norton 650 Atlas | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Norton 650 Atlas

very nice...you said awhile ago you might part with that RD....I'd be interested

I haven’t forgotten JavaFan. I have a note with my RD paperwork to remind me to get in touch when that day comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indian and Triumph are two marquees that rose from the ashes. I don’t think anyone thinks their current and modern machines are anything like they made back in the day.

But, they captured the look and style while making them modern and mostly reliable.

Has Norton accomplished this? I think it’s a little off the mark.

It’s more than a logo or badge name from the past folks are looking for.

The Scout has nothing in common with the Scout from the 40s. But the current Scout is attractive in its segment. It’s powerful. And it fits within the line up.

Maybe Norton has more models in the works? But, if this is their best foot forward, I’m not sure if they will be around long after getting a new lease on life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I am guilty of that to looked closely for a side stand. Is not one mirror required by law in Ontario?

Motorcycle journalists usually take off the mirrors to make the photo look better. Taking off the kickstand is more rare, but it's sometimes done. In this pic I suggest they chose to get rid of the kick stand and used a rear stand possibly to create a nostalgic feeling. A lot 50s and 60s bikes were sold with a rear wheel stand stock. You can bet the bike comes with mirrors and a kick-stand.

Motorcycle journalists usually take off the mirrors to make the photo look better. Taking off the kickstand is more rare, but it's sometimes done. In this pic I suggest they chose to get rid of the kick stand and used a rear stand possibly to create a nostalgic feeling. A lot 50s and 60s bikes were sold with a rear wheel stand stock. You can bet the bike comes with mirrors and a kick-stand.

Thanks for that. Appreciated.
Not that I purchased it new. Honest. I owned a 1953 Triumph 500T it came with 2 mirrors, kickstand and a weapon on the side. Called a kickstarter. It was meant to hurt so that you did not want to ride. Not a chance.
500 cc slow as a poke. Many a time rode to the Ace Café. North Circular road. Saw some powerful bikes. Ducati and my all time favourite. Vincent Black Shadow. As a wet behind the ears know it all kid. Was so much fun. Police really never bothered you. It was easy to dart down an alley way. Gone. We weren`t really hooligans, however our enemy at the time where the Mods. Imagine a scooter, Vespa, Lambreta with tall aerial and a rabbit tail hanging it off the top. We did really stupid things. Lived to tell the tail. In those days there was no such thing as racism, Homophobia, Political BS. We loved to ride.
Could never imagine the power bikes have now. 0-100kms in 2.5 in first gear. the best we could do was 0-100kms in maybe 2 days. Lol.
We had a club called the "Ton up club" That was 100 mph. My Triumph could not get anywhere near that.
All had kickstands, mirrors and loud pipes. Not much as really changed since. Most of us lost friends.
Brits, remember those days?

Thanks for that. Appreciated.
Not that I purchased it new. Honest. I owned a 1953 Triumph 500T it came with 2 mirrors, kickstand and a weapon on the side. Called a kickstarter. It was meant to hurt so that you did not want to ride. Not a chance.
500 cc slow as a poke. Many a time rode to the Ace Café. North Circular road. Saw some powerful bikes. Ducati and my all time favourite. Vincent Black Shadow. As a wet behind the ears know it all kid. Was so much fun. Police really never bothered you. It was easy to dart down an alley way. Gone. We weren`t really hooligans, however our enemy at the time where the Mods. Imagine a scooter, Vespa, Lambreta with tall aerial and a rabbit tail hanging it off the top. We did really stupid things. Lived to tell the tail. In those days there was no such thing as racism, Homophobia, Political BS. We loved to ride.
Could never imagine the power bikes have now. 0-100kms in 2.5 in first gear. the best we could do was 0-100kms in maybe 2 days. Lol.
We had a club called the "Ton up club" That was 100 mph. My Triumph could not get anywhere near that.
All had kickstands, mirrors and loud pipes. Not much as really changed since. Most of us lost friends.

This!

enemy at the time where the Mods. Imagine a scooter, Vespa, Lambreta with tall aerial and a rabbit tail hanging it off the top. We did really stupid things. Lived to tell the tail. In those days there was no such thing as racism, Homophobia, Political BS. We loved to ride.

Really?? a place that had Malcolm X visit to support the oppressed black community, a politician the in the 60's used a sign that said "if you want a n..... for a nieghbor vote Labour" ( in the midlands) , debated in the house that immigrants brought disease, had chemical castration as a solution to gay men until the 70's, and lets not forget the Profumo / Keeler scandal that almost brought down the gov't 1961.
Not sure if you grew up there in a bubble, or like a lot of expats ' everything over the pond was awesome' , which is why so many of us are here.......

Really?? a place that had Malcolm X visit to support the oppressed black community, a politician the in the 60's used a sign that said "if you want a n..... for a nieghbor vote Labour" ( in the midlands) , debated in the house that immigrants brought disease, had chemical castration as a solution to gay men until the 70's, and lets not forget the Profumo / Keeler scandal that almost brought down the gov't 1961.
Not sure if you grew up there in a bubble, or like a lot of expats ' everything over the pond was awesome' , which is why so many of us are here.......

All good points. Not sure I would call it a bubble. As a teenager didn`t care much about politics. Put it into a box and carried on with my life. Did not affect me. Was busy doing the things I liked. I think the only memory that stood out was the Profumo affair. Horny bugger and our security was compromised. I left the major concerns to the protestors, the Government. My major concern was would the bike start. Get through school. Did I have enough money for petrol.
Most certainly not worried about anything else. I was growing up.

dont be sorry, its why its called a thread, they meander.

I had 5 yrs with '73 norton. It never left me stranded, but I also never went very far or for very long and by the time I got it , it had been mostly well sorted and the carbs had been given the Mikuni tuneup. You put the Amals in a box and bolted on Mikuni.

I like the fact that dozens of old brands are being "resurrected" if thats the term , the industry needs to evolve, re evolve and keep changing or we stop being interested. And we are guys on a motorcycle forum, if we aren't interested its a real problem . They need to make the guy in my office that hasn't ridden want a bike. And his wife.

dont be sorry, its why its called a thread, they meander.

I had 5 yrs with '73 norton. It never left me stranded, but I also never went very far or for very long and by the time I got it , it had been mostly well sorted and the carbs had been given the Mikuni tuneup. You put the Amals in a box and bolted on Mikuni.

I like the fact that dozens of old brands are being "resurrected" if thats the term , the industry needs to evolve, re evolve and keep changing or we stop being interested. And we are guys on a motorcycle forum, if we aren't interested its a real problem . They need to make the guy in my office that hasn't ridden want a bike. And his wife.

Sorry about being sorry. Sorry. Not serious of course. Lol.
What you say is very true.
I was a loyal fan of Triumph. Sad when they went under. Then I saw a new one when they where re-introduced. Loved it. The styling, the sound, what was not to like.
Unfortunately, a hip operation put it out of reach for me. Too tall.
Hence, ending up getting a Ducati Diavel. Which was a new style for Ducati. Proving your point.

"You put the Amals in a box and bolted on Mikuni"

ACK. you heretic, THAT'S BLASPHEMY

Wanna sell the Amals?

I thought blasphemy to, till i had to start it, run it cold and not deal with tickling anything . The Amals went with the bike when I sold it on, I keep every part I ever change on a bike and offer them to the next owner in case he desparetely needs a trip down nostalgia lane.

I did the same with a BMW R75/5, she got treated to mikuni to replace the Bing CV carbs, new Mikuni's cost less than the total rebuild kit for Bing and the left carb never dripped gas......

I'm a big fan of original and don't chop frames and do non reversible stuff, but I like stuff that runs, since I'm at best a 6 pack mechanic.

Back
Top Bottom