Norton 650 Atlas | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Norton 650 Atlas

M...His second bike was a yellow 1972 Norton Commando that he has had in storage since about 1980.It's sad.It just sits there with a bedsheet over it.:(
Sadly that's the fate of most mechanical things designed and made in England - most spend the better part of their life under a bedsheet.

His second bike was a yellow 1972 Norton Commando that he has had in storage since about 1980.It's sad.It just sits there with a bedsheet over it.:(

A good place for it. I tried to race a 750 Commando Combat ONCE back in the day. P.O.S blew up after 45 minutes of track use. Utter junk.

Well of course they were all pieces of junk back in the day. That's why we have such great memories of them. Let's face it, the beginning and the end of 90% of the problems with the old bikes was that prehistoric mechanical ignition system that always used to fail. Points, rotors, bad distributor curves, incorrect springs etc. The advent of CDI, computer controlled ignition and tuning, fuel injection have made bikes reliable for the biggest of idiots. It's no use holding grudges against today's bikes because of a bad experience with your 1974 Norton. It's a better time for bikes now. It really is. Just more expensive.

A good place for it. I tried to race a 750 Commando Combat ONCE back in the day. P.O.S blew up after 45 minutes of track use. Utter junk.

I was racing an EX500 in VRRA P4 and I was trying to make HP and the thing was a firecracker. I went through three motors one weekend.
I started racing the Norton more because it was more reliable. Not once did I DNS or DNF on the Norton in three years.
It helps that I know some of the best Norton tuners on the planet.
... then I started on the 2 strokes. Whole new ballgame.

Well of course they were all pieces of junk back in the day. That's why we have such great memories of them. Let's face it, the beginning and the end of 90% of the problems with the old bikes was that prehistoric mechanical ignition system that always used to fail. Points, rotors, bad distributor curves, incorrect springs etc. The advent of CDI, computer controlled ignition and tuning, fuel injection have made bikes reliable for the biggest of idiots. It's no use holding grudges against today's bikes because of a bad experience with your 1974 Norton. It's a better time for bikes now. It really is. Just more expensive.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be for sure.

I started racing the Norton more because it was more reliable. Not once did I DNS or DNF on the Norton in three years.
It helps that I know some of the best Norton tuners on the planet.

How much Norton was left in it after you fixed it up ? I'm betting not much.

The target is Baby Boomers.They had these products decades ago and remember how bad the lucas electrics and suspension was.I bought a 1976 Yamaha a few years ago and the first thing i did was put a cdi ignition into it.Vintage is cool,but vintage starting isn't!

Going back many years Smiths and Lucas where to stay away from. Unfortunately, if you owned Triumph, Norton or a few others you did not have a choice.
I lived near the factory of Smiths or Lucas in Cricklewood London. (Don`t remember it was a long time ago) Used to curse it ever time I passed it.

Sorry, Nope
All, 100% Norton.
Norton rods
Norton Hepolite pistons
STOCK Norton crank
Both sides of the cases were Norton
As per the old AHMRA rules.
At the time we were keeping it all Norton. It was a copy of the last motor to win the last HP shootout at Daytona. They don't do the shootout anymore because they changed the AHMRA rules that allow aftermarket engine parts. (When I say "copy" it was built by the same guy, Bob Perkins, using some of the original motor).
Darcy Tinsdale raced it this year with VRRA... with a custom crank, Cariilo rods, custom Venolia pistons and computer controlled, crank fired ignition. At least one DNS and 2 DNFs. snicker, snicker
It is a lot prettier today than when I rode it.

Last edited:
I know he’s a millionaire but, I think he shares a lot of the same things as most when it comes to vintage bikes.

https://youtu.be/lICP7S-jpvA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I find it interesting that manufacturers are getting out ahead of our industry's resto-mod scene. Even in the car world there is this huge division of people, with one side one the "original only" movement and the other side that like their cars to stop, start and turn reliably. Take a guess where I fall. I love the idea of a 60's or 70's muscle car but wouldn't dream of driving without proper hydraulic disc brakes, suspension set-up and fuel injection. Bikes like this almost make it not worth while for the resto-mods in the bike world. You can get everything from an OE produced product: same looks and feel etc.

It may not be my thing, but I don't think it's a bad thing. More options in our industry should be encouraged.

I find it interesting that manufacturers are getting out ahead of our industry's resto-mod scene. Even in the car world there is this huge division of people, with one side one the "original only" movement and the other side that like their cars to stop, start and turn reliably. Take a guess where I fall. I love the idea of a 60's or 70's muscle car but wouldn't dream of driving without proper hydraulic disc brakes, suspension set-up and fuel injection. Bikes like this almost make it not worth while for the resto-mods in the bike world. You can get everything from an OE produced product: same looks and feel etc.

It may not be my thing, but I don't think it's a bad thing. More options in our industry should be encouraged.

I agree.

I love the look of vintage bikes, but I'm just not the guy who has a project bike up on the stand for 12 months out of the year, scouring the classifieds for that 1963 part in good condition that they don't make anymore.

Ducati regularly dips their toe into it when they reissue bikes like the MH900e and the Sport Classic. I'd love to have an old BMW R80 Cafe Racer, but I'd be more than happy to have this in the garage instead, because it actually runs, has good brakes/suspension/engine/lights etc.

Nine-T-BMW-CLUTCH-MOTORCYCLES-2.jpg

I think you would be surprised at just how well the old bikes perform once put together meticulously and adjusted as they were intended. Even today, with our maintenance-free park-it-and-forget-it gizmo bikes people come on here asking "what's wrong with my bike" because they don't understand it. Imagine those same guys riding a carbureted, points ignition bike with spokes, wire controlled drum brakes and a dry clutch. Their indignance over such affairs lasts up to today. Yet, there are those who learned to love maintaining their old horse. For a lot of those guys all they had to get around was that bike.

Some of us are still out riding 45+ year old machines...

Ride ‘em ... don’t hide ‘em !!!

57f9ba972c36fcad896854fba6ff9bee.jpg

fbb154500ec364b63f9ae6ded3480dc7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The most important thing is that you ride...not what you ride.

There will always be styles/brands/new tech that will appeal to some and not others.

Whether you love it or hate it, kudos to Norton for putting a product out into the market.

Only time will tell how it all plays out.

How does anyone not see that these bikes have kickstands?
That Kawi 650 posted earlier is just a touch uglier than my my bike.
Are bikes built for people getting into bikes, in the middle of their riding lives or on their way out?
I like these Nortons a little. Prefer the BMW or the Ducati for looks though.

Some of us are still out riding 45+ year old machines...

Ride ‘em ... don’t hide ‘em !!!

fbb154500ec364b63f9ae6ded3480dc7.jpg

very nice...you said awhile ago you might part with that RD....I'd be interested

Back
Top Bottom