I need my Aprilia's tank fixed. | GTAMotorcycle.com

I need my Aprilia's tank fixed.

veteq

Site Supporter
While putting my bike away, An Ikea glass cabinet that holds my helmets fell over and chipped my tank in several spots. I am surprised the glass didn't break. I am looking a place that can repaint the tank. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

45875973531_9446dc1cfd_h.jpg

autobody shop could do it
will be mucho $$ if you're in a hurry

if you can be patient and leave it with them shouldn't be too bad

or get a little airbrush kit
have a go yourself

Just buy a new tank from Aprilia and sell that one, I'm sure somebody can use a spare.

It will be hard to mach the OEM color and decal placement may be off.

with very careful work
airbrush, and lots of wet sanding
may not have to touch the decals
dealer could help with the paint

pretty sure its a tank cover, not the actual tank. It might be cheaper to get a new one considering the tank decals (AP & IA) are clear coated

pretty sure its a tank cover, not the actual tank. It might be cheaper to get a new one considering the tank decals (AP & IA) are clear coated

thank you all for your comments, I will have to find a body shop that can paint around the aprilia decals. this is the gas tank, not just a cover and a new one from Aprilia is close to $3000.

What about going through your insurance for a new tank? Maybe speak with your agent/broker?

Not a bad plan if he needs perfection. Comp claims don't affect rates right?

Personally, given what this will cost to fix, I would not bother, but I understand it would drive some people crazy.

I had a scratch repainted on the orange bike when it was almost new. It looked really good and matched perfectly, but was around $500 cash because of the speckled paint. I don't think that guy does it anymore.

Yes, all painted body parts, come painted, etc. When my bike was in for repairs, shop backed rear fender into something. Small dent and paint chipped. They sent me to their "body guy."

He advised dealership it was cheaper, ($800 retail), to replace the fender with an OEM. He advised, all bike parts come painted and it is usually WAY cheaper to replace than try to repair, (he said almost NEVER, comes out looking nearly as good.

How does a new tank fix that? They come painted with decals?

Several years ago my dirt bike fell against my BMW leaving a long, deep scratch (down to the plastic) in the fairing. Being cheap, I got some spot putty, some 400-600 grit wet/dry sand paper, lacquer model paint in a couple close colors to mix and clear gloss coat. It took several hours of mostly sanding but the results were really good and though not perfect didn't detract from the overall condition of the bike.

While putting my bike away, An Ikea glass cabinet that holds my helmets fell over and chipped my tank in several spots. I am surprised the glass didn't break. I am looking a place that can repaint the tank. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

45875973531_9446dc1cfd_h.jpg

That looks down to the metal or at least through the base coat and into the primer. On a bike like that I would want perfection. And to get that pretty much have to repaint the whole tank. My car door just got vandalized/keyed about a year ago, the body shop had to repaint the whole door and re clear coat the front fender for it to match the rest of the truck because it had a metallic in the color just like yours does. And I am still not happy with the finish compared to the rest of the OEM paint. So in my experience I would not have much faith in a body shop being able to just touch that up without re painting the whole tank. Again this depends on what you consider good enough.

For my Kawasaki's the decals on my fuel tanks can be bought separately from Kawasaki, I am really picky so rather then get some cheap aftermarket stickers made. I bought the decals from the dealer and gave them to the painter, so he could give me a real OEM quality look and finish, they paint the tank in the base coat colors, add the OEM decals in the original locations or where I want them and then clear over everything. Thats how the factory does it

Last edited:
That looks down to the metal or at least through the base coat and into the primer. On a bike like that I would want perfection. And to get that pretty much have to repaint the whole tank. My car door just got vandalized/keyed about a year ago, the body shop had to repaint the whole door and re clear coat the front fender for it to match the rest of the truck because it had a metallic in the color just like yours does. And I am still not happy with the finish compared to the rest of the OEM paint. So in my experience I would not have much faith in a body shop being able to just touch that up without re painting the whole tank. Again this depends on what you consider good enough.

It will never be the same like OEM. I had a vandalism claim as well on a 1.5 month old car and decided to have it fixed by a body shop owned by the manufacturer. They did a good job but I can still spot the difference. For 95% of people they will never notice but when you have an eye for that ****, it stands out instantly. Oh well. Thank God it's a lease.

Back
Top Bottom