2017 Yamaha R6 EXUP Help | GTAMotorcycle.com

2017 Yamaha R6 EXUP Help

metr

I just bought a used 2017 Yamaha R6 and it came with an aftermarket slip-on exhaust. I am trying to reinstall the stock exhaust and I am not sure if I have the EXUP cables adjusted correctly. I have a couple requests that I think will help a lot:

1. Would any 2017+ R6 owners be able to share a picture of what their cables look like when the bike is off? I'm looking to see if the valve is in the open or closed position, mine seems to sit in the middle.

2. Do your cables move at all when the key is switched to ON? I have read that previous generations did this, but mine does not, and it doesn't seem like the 2017+ R6 has a diag mode either.

I haven't been able to find any helpful information online so any help from 2017+ R6 owners would be great, thanks.

Last edited:
Good day eh, 2011 join date - 1 post lol. Welcome to the gtam. Surprised you haven't had any response on this post.

I don't have the mentioned r6. but Im thinking you might have some luck looking this up with an online workshop manual. best luck.

Yeah, I'm a longtime lurker, just started riding a few years ago. I'll look around online for a manual, thanks for the suggestion!

I just bought a used 2017 Yamaha R6 and it came with an aftermarket slip-on exhaust. I am trying to reinstall the stock exhaust and I am not sure if I have the EXUP cables adjusted correctly. I have a couple requests that I think will help a lot:

1. Would any 2017+ R6 owners be able to share a picture of what their cables look like when the bike is off? I'm looking to see if the valve is in the open or closed position, mine seems to sit in the middle.

2. Do your cables move at all when the key is switched to ON? I have read that previous generations did this, but mine does not, and it doesn't seem like the 2017+ R6 has a diag mode either.

I haven't been able to find any helpful information online so any help from 2017+ R6 owners would be great, thanks.

These R6's do not have a built in diagnostic system that is accessible from the dash like the older models. You must use the Yamaha diagnostic tool, which your local dealer should have.

At fully open the little tab on the pulley will rest against the stopper. In order to adjust it properly (as in the way the factory service manual prescribes), you will need to put the bike in the correct diag mode, which moves the pulley to full open, then adjust the tension in the cables equally. In order to do this properly, you will need access to the OEM diagnostic tool, call your closest dealer and see what kind of coffee/doughnut deal you can swing, anticipate it not being free.

These R6's do not have a built in diagnostic system that is accessible from the dash like the older models. You must use the Yamaha diagnostic tool, which your local dealer should have.

At fully open the little tab on the pulley will rest against the stopper. In order to adjust it properly (as in the way the factory service manual prescribes), you will need to put the bike in the correct diag mode, which moves the pulley to full open, then adjust the tension in the cables equally. In order to do this properly, you will need access to the OEM diagnostic tool, call your closest dealer and see what kind of coffee/doughnut deal you can swing, anticipate it not being free.

Another very helpful post LPakkala. Glad to see you are still helping out even though you have moved away.

Thanks for the info, that helps a lot and I really appreciate the specific details. I'll reach out to my dealer.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom