Advice for selling a car | GTAMotorcycle.com

Advice for selling a car

LiNK666

Time to start replacing cars with electric. I'm planning on buying my first Tesla around Feb/March. Had a bit of delay but now the plans are back on track.

I need to sell my Elantra GL 2012 to replace the Tesla for a model 3. What's the best place to sell it? Any strategies? Any advice to avoid scammers or low ballers? I have spare time this winter so hoping to do it over Dec/Jan.

Thanks all for any input

I need to sell my Elantra GL 2012 to replace the Tesla for a model 3. What's the best place to sell it? Any strategies? Any advice to avoid scammers or low ballers?

The usual places:

Kijiji
Craigslist
Autotrader

Forums are a dying medium, but RedFlagDeals still gets a surprising amount of traffic.

Recently, I've had some success buying stuff (not a vehicle though) on Facebook Market. There are also specific Toronto-area Buy and Sell Facebook groups you can join, but you have to look for one with a lot of members.

Sold a bike once on eBay. That was interesting. Buyer contacted me and we arranged to meet for him to see the bike, then he concluded the sale online. The reserve price helps keep lowballers away. Not a lot of interest though, he was the only one that contacted me/bid on the bike.

The only other way I can think of to avoid scammers and lowballers is to sell to a dealership. Will Tesla take your Elantra as a trade-in? Maybe keep that as a final option, if you get tired of the parade of tirekickers.

The usual places:

Kijiji
Craigslist
Autotrader

Forums are a dying medium, but RedFlagDeals still gets a surprising amount of traffic.

Recently, I've had some success buying stuff (not a vehicle though) on Facebook Market. There are also specific Toronto-area Buy and Sell Facebook groups you can join, but you have to look for one with a lot of members.

Sold a bike once on eBay. That was interesting. Buyer contacted me and we arranged to meet for him to see the bike, then he concluded the sale online. The reserve price helps keep lowballers away. Not a lot of interest though, he was the only one that contacted me/bid on the bike.

The only other way I can think of to avoid scammers and lowballers is to sell to a dealership. Will Tesla take your Elantra as a trade-in? Maybe keep that as a final option, if you get tired of the parade of tirekickers.

I actually rented an apartment out using facebook marketplace. I could profile people (actually not a good thing) based off their facebook profile. It was good. Tons of people.

Now I gotta figure what the value of my car is. Time to research online

I'll buy it for wholesale value. Quick and easy. If you have time to deal with private buyers then Kijiji/Autotrader.

I need to sell my Elantra GL 2012 to replace the Tesla for a model 3.

wow, thats quite the step up. unless your rich dying uncle gave you an inheritance, or you won the lottery, better save up your pennies.

wow, thats quite the step up. unless your rich dying uncle gave you an inheritance, or you won the lottery, better save up your pennies.

At this point, it's a business decision. I do about 8k km a month now. It's stupid.. :(

At this point, it's a business decision. I do about 8k km a month now. It's stupid.. :(

Get a new Insight and save tonnes of money over the TESLA

Not just initial cost, but overall quality and reliability too

With that much mileage something pricey is sure to go on the TESLA or perhaps need some body repair or rim damage big bucks

And when you are done with the Honda you will still have killer resale value

Win

Chaseontwowheels is selling his Daytona 675R through an interesting new app here:

https://youtu.be/JfOgGUTKNA8

Perhaps this idea needs to fly in Canada as a lot of people don't like the selling experience.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Doesn't matter where you post it be ready for many idiots and tire kickers. It's just the nature of the game. Don't bother with a safety yet as it's only good for 36 days. UVIP is a must and will allow people to see that there's no liens or registered accidents.

I've tried to sell a few cars online, and it's always the same bullcrap. Lots of interest until it comes time to pay up. Then all I heard is crickets. When I was selling my Civic Si I ended up getting $1k less than I listed on Kijiji for as a trade-in, so was happy with it in the end. Outside of that it was just a total waste of time.

Do not entertain ANY offers until they've seen it. That separates the wheat from the chaff. I'm happy to negotiate once you've seen the car. MAKE them come to see it or don't waste your time.

Doesn't matter where you post it be ready for many idiots and tire kickers. It's just the nature of the game. Don't bother with a safety yet as it's only good for 36 days. UVIP is a must and will allow people to see that there's no liens or registered accidents.

I've tried to sell a few cars online, and it's always the same bullcrap. Lots of interest until it comes time to pay up. Then all I heard is crickets. When I was selling my Civic Si I ended up getting $1k less than I listed on Kijiji for as a trade-in, so was happy with it in the end. Outside of that it was just a total waste of time.

Ya if it's a $1k difference I'll trade it in

Do not entertain ANY offers until they've seen it. That separates the wheat from the chaff. I'm happy to negotiate once you've seen the car. MAKE them come to see it or don't waste your time.

Will definitely do this.

Are you planning to sell it certified? It will help, no question - one less thing for the buyer to have to worry about, and you'll get more money. The downside with not certifying it now vs when you sell it that YOU don't know how much money it may need to pass. If you sell the car for a set price and then discover it needs $2500 worth of work to certify (for example) then you may quickly wish you'd just sold it "as is" instead.

But yes, the safety is only valid for a certain number of days, so you have to be mindful of the fact the clock starts ticking the day you get the cert done - if it doesn't sell inside that time window you're left holding the bag for another $$ safety all over again.

And yes, prepare for tire kickers and the sort, there's no way to avoid it. The first thing I always do when selling something online is when I get an inquiry I send my phone number and tell them to call me - this right there separates the window shoppers - serious people will immediately call you and discuss..people just looking to waste your time or window shop often don't want to get that involved to the point of physically talking to someone.

If you want to move it fast the best thing to do is get it certified, get the UVIP, and then list it at an aggressive price when compared to everything else out there. Someone will snap it up.

Last edited:
Are you planning to sell it certified? It will help, no question - one less thing for the buyer to have to worry about, and you'll get more money. The downside with not certifying it now vs when you sell it that YOU don't know how much money it may need to pass. If you sell the car for a set price and then discover it needs $2500 worth of work to certify (for example) then you may quickly wish you'd just sold it "as is" instead.

But yes, the safety is only valid for a certain number of days, so you have to be mindful of the fact the clock starts ticking the day you get the cert done - if it doesn't sell inside that time window you're left holding the bag for another $$ safety all over again.

And yes, prepare for tire kickers and the sort, there's no way to avoid it. The first thing I always do when selling something online is when I get an inquiry I send my phone number and tell them to call me - this right there separates the window shoppers - serious people will immediately call you and discuss..people just looking to waste your time or window shop often don't want to get that involved to the point of physically talking to someone.

If you want to move it fast the best thing to do is get it certified, get the UVIP, and then list it at an aggressive price when compared to everything else out there. Someone will snap it up.

I have no problems certifying it since I know it's in good condition

The issue with posting with Auto trader is getting calls from resellers looking to help you sell your vehicle.

I did get a car fax and had it available. I also included a safety and even suggested we take the car to any prospect’s preferred shop for a safety. But only after a deposit was made and formal commitment to purchase.

I sold my Hybrid after a job opportunity soured. I bought the car anticipating the new job. So, then I was stuck with a new used car to sell.

Kijiji and Autotrader generated the most inquires. I had a few callers tell me they were coming to see the car and then flake. A few more make low ball offers without seeing it. Just ignored them.

It was a little challenging for me because I didn’t have the car long and was looking to sell it so, prospects were leary I was trying to drop a lemon.

But having some patience worked and I made sure my ad had lots of pictures. And was priced very competitive to comparables.

Marketplace had a lot of those auto responses. I’m interest etc.

I never received one legit inquiry from Marketplace but, that was in the summer. Maybe it’s different now or it was just me. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Selling stuff pretty much sucks these days.

Kijiji and FB quick responses pretty much guarantee that they’re not actually interested. I also don’t put my phone number in the ad, it seems as though all that does is encourage the resellers to call you. Also a waste of time.

If the car would easily pass a safety check I would definitely suggest selling it as such. Even if it needs nothing a lot of buyers will not even consider it if it’s “as-is”.

Not being offensive (i hope) but whats a 2012 Elantra worth? Take Minas wholesale offer and be done.

If your going to drive 8K a month I'm not sure the Tesla is your best choice, I forsee expensive maintence, 100k a yr is taxi mileage, buy what they drive.

Not being offensive (i hope) but whats a 2012 Elantra worth? Take Minas wholesale offer and be done.

Seems reasonable. Does Tesla take trades? At least then he'd save the tax on wholesale value. It is also possible to do a three way deal if tesla doesn't want it and save the tax (elantra to mina, mina pays tesla, OP saves the tax). Again, not sure Tesla would/could do this nor whether it is worthwhile for what is presumably a high-mile elantra.

Seems reasonable. Does Tesla take trades? At least then he'd save the tax on wholesale value. It is also possible to do a three way deal if tesla doesn't want it and save the tax (elantra to mina, mina pays tesla, OP saves the tax). Again, not sure Tesla would/could do this nor whether it is worthwhile for what is presumably a high-mile elantra.
It's a 2012 Elantra presumably with high mileage. It's not worth all that hassle. I would buy it if it was a straight up sale and the mileage isn't too too bad. OP, PM me if interested. Thanks!

My advice, if the car is in good shape post lots of pictures. Make sure the car is super clean (this is really important, as it shows you cared about the car and took care of it, even if you didn't...). As others noted certified, UVIP and Drive Clean done.

To limit time wasters. Set time aside to have viewings. So basically tell perspective buyers I am showing the car between noon and 2 PM on Saturday (like an open house). Have anyone interested come then to look at it. What this does is it scares off bottom feeders that are going to waste a half hour of your time and then low ball you an offer. If someone does not show up you did not waste your afternoon waiting. It also scares off murderers...

Back
Top Bottom