Yamaha did it - NIKEN | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Yamaha did it - NIKEN

More choice is always good. Granted, it's odd-looking but the same can be said for a LOT of vehicles these days. Nobody studies Greek or Latin anymore, so don't expect classics.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I am no fan of that thing at all. Also double everything to service in the front :(

I'd much rather just buy a Miata to enjoy the road with, if I couldn't ride on 2 wheels

So I did some reading up on this two-wheels-up-front thing.

Yamaha says it's for extra contact patch so you can attack the twisties without fear of tucking the front while diving into a corner on cold pavement, ice, leaves, pine cones, etc. They say 80% more grip, so not quite double even though it's two wheels. This is because they're running 15" wheels up front, not 17"s, so smaller contact patch per tire.

It's not meant for beginner riders or those with mobility issues who can't hold up a bike upright, because the Niken will still tip over if you don't have the kickstand down. In fact, reports have it that it is even more unwieldy than a normal motorcycle at slow speeds because of the sheer bulk of the front end.

It's aimed at the rider who wants more front end grip and feel on corner entry. If you know how to effectively trail-brake on the track, then this motorcycle is aimed at you.

Interesting. But still butt ugly though.

Last edited:
So I did some reading up on this two-wheels-up-front thing.

Yamaha says it's for extra contact patch so you can attack the twisties without fear of tucking the front while diving into a corner on cold pavement, ice, leaves, pine cones, etc.

But what's the side effect of that? Normally if the front wheel slides, you fall over. If the rear slides and then grips you get sent to the moon. What happens when the front slides and then grips (especially on something like sand that can easily affect both tires)?.

But what's the side effect of that? Normally if the front wheel slides, you fall over. If the rear slides and then grips you get sent to the moon. What happens when the front slides and then grips (especially on something like sand that can easily affect both tires)?.

Same as a normal motorcycle, I guess. If both tires up front lose traction at the same time, it's going to tuck like a normal bike. If both front tires slide and then grip, it should behave just like a normal motorcycle as well - slight recovery, heavy pucker factor.

I don't foresee the physics of a lowside/highside changing, you're just going to get more grip up front so the lowside will happen much later than it would than if you only had one tire.

Last edited:
Same as a normal motorcycle, I guess. If both tires up front lose traction at the same time, it's going to tuck like a normal bike. If both front tires slide and then grip, it should behave just like a normal motorcycle as well - slight recovery, heavy pucker factor.

I don't foresee the physics of a lowside/highside changing, you're just going to get more grip up front so the lowside will happen much later than it would than if you only had one tire.

You're quite possibly right, I just wasn't sure if the width upfront was enough to slide for a bit without tucking.

Whatever the target market, servicing two pairs of forks will be a nuisance.

I would never buy one,but i look forward to talking to Clinton Smout about it.He rode one and raved about it.Interesting.

I don't understand the point of this. So you don't have to put your foot down at lights? Are there any other advantages? I mean, it looks like ***

I rode a 3 wheels scooter in Barcelona and you still had to put your feet down. You also can't learn into turns the same, its a very weird feeling. Calling this a bike is a big stretch.

They have been using these bikes during European cycling events...
7cac93a01d5c44686a5b2597a2beb1a7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have been using these bikes during European cycling events...
7cac93a01d5c44686a5b2597a2beb1a7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The marketing budget is probably strong with this one. It's going to need to be to try to get some sold.

What’s the perk of an extra wheel? It actually provides extra grip in the bends, making it more efficient in corners than two-wheel rides. Yamaha’s LMW tilting system ensures that the pressure and the angle in the two wheels are optimized thanks to the Ackermann steering geometry principle. The two wheels work independently, but in tandem to make sure you get the best possible front-end grip in any situation.

Don't recall ever having front end problems in decades....at least not $20k worth. Though I guess riding into the autumn/early winter, let's you lean more. But you gonna subject a $20k bike to salt?

d1e2352a5e4ab5814becbb8a6aa740d9.jpg

I saw it in Barcelona, the sales person said it was great in the curves.

Sent from the Moon!

d1e2352a5e4ab5814becbb8a6aa740d9.jpg

I saw it in Barcelona, the sales person said it was great in the curves.

Sent from the Moon!
It actually looks nice from the side, until you get to the two front wheels anyways.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

I recall seeing many three-wheel motos in Europe, especially Paris, my last few visits there. I don't recall who made them, but they're hardly new.

I recall seeing many three-wheel motos in Europe, especially Paris, my last few visits there. I don't recall who made them, but they're hardly new.
Piaggio has made the MP3 for probably a decade. It allows the rider to lock it vertically when parked (and maybe when going slowly?). I have no idea why Yamaha left that out. That is the primary advantage to an otherwise stupid design.

Back
Top Bottom