Yamaha T700 and KTM 790 Adventure | GTAMotorcycle.com

Yamaha T700 and KTM 790 Adventure

ScorpionT16

Two new bikes recently launched, both look really good! Too bad the Yamaha isn't expected till 2021 here, and both are over 200kg wet weight.

21_tenere-700resize.jpg

2019-ktm-790-adventure-r-first-look-specs-1.jpg

It'll be interesting to see if that dirtbike front fender on the KTM stays on the production bike.

If they switch it out for a street front hugger that gets gummed up with mud the minute you take it somewhere gnarly, then you know they were never serious about offering a true dual sport.
The 790 Adventure has the hugger front fender, lower grade suspension, and lower 2-piece seat. The 790 Adventure R gets the high off-road fender, beefier fully adjustable suspension with more travel, tires slanted more for off-road use, and a slightly taller single-piece seat. It's now on the KTM website.
https://www.ktm.com/ca-en/travel/790-adventure-r/
https://www.ktm.com/ca-en/travel/790-adventure/

It'll be interesting to see if that dirtbike front fender on the KTM stays on the production bike.

If they switch it out for a street front hugger that gets gummed up with mud the minute you take it somewhere gnarly, then you know they were never serious about offering a true dual sport.

Trials bikes have low front fenders :I they do gnarly pretty good.
Don't tell anybody but you can win an event just by keeping your tires clean between the sections and there are ways to do that, it's called first tracks
;) which can also work well 'in' the mud sections.

imho ... a tall seat sounds pretty useless in mud.

Last edited:
Haven't you heard, by 2021 we should all be shopping for electrics.
Those bikes look like they would be a blast, in the desert.

Ah ... so they'll have a robust charging network that gives me 200kms range in 5-10 minutes! I'm in.

If I could carry an in-town bike and an on-tour bike, than sure, I'd look at LiveWires etc.

:lol: ya, I think they figure we are all suppose to change our lifestyle.

Both are nice bikes, but I'm still not sure that they're anything other than street bikes that look like dirt bikes. For playing around off road lighter is better so for a dual sport I'd still go for the 690 or the Honda 450. (I know they aren't as light as a trials bike etc.)

What I don't get is Yamaha not releasing it for another 2 years. I can see trying to create a buzz but who knows if the ADV segment will still be as popular in 2 years. In 2021 we may be debating the attributes of electric bikes. They may miss the peak of the market if they wait.

Botn great bikes - no doubt, however i think the KTM definitely takes the market for 2019...
4 new awesome bikes to rip!
2 790's + 2 new 690's

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Back
Top Bottom